Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christmas Debt
06-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Christmas Debt

Do you tend to get into debt over the Xmas period, or are you good and budget throughout the year so you have the cash you need in December ? Do you rely on credit cards, and then panic in the New Year when the bill arrives ?

I have to say, i tend to worry a bit about money in the run up to Xmas - and i really dont have that many pressies to buy. I dread to think what it must be like if you have children who hanker over the latest toy / trainers etc ....

I have been trying to budget lately, as i dont like putting presents on credit if i can help it. I have already bought 2 presents, and i will try and buy another 2 this month, and the final ones in November. I then have Novembers pay to buy all the expensive food stuff / treats that i like to have over the seasonal period.

Unfortunately i dont get paid here in December until after Christmas - so i cant rely on that money to pay for food etc ...

So - are you worried, or are you safe and secure in the knowledge that you have saved.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Christmas Debt
I've given up worrying - it happens every year, it's inevitable - so to get upset about it is a waste of time.

oh ok - I always spend too much and it takes me the entire month of january hibernating to get over it. But fekkit - it's good fun....:laugh:

bam bam
Find all posts by this user
06-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Christmas Debt
last year I didn't save anything and i was broke until about May time.

I HATE debt with a passion.

This year I will be prepared.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
06-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Christmas Debt
For some reason we have never had to go into debt for Christmas. And I'm not planning to this year either. But I think the whole present buying fiasco has gone crazy and I'm dreading it.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
06-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Christmas Debt
I am in no way being Scroogy, but it is the one thing that really does wreck Christmas for so many people - the costs of it all today.

I think it has gone way OTT regarding what people expect giftwise, and it doesn't help that shops start getting Xmas stuff on the shelves in August. The house has to be dressed to the nines as well now, inside and out or you're accused of being a miserable old git. I just left the country last Xmas and would do so again this year if I could.

The Kiwis have it right, very low key, small select gifts for the kids, sod all in the shops or on show anywhere - it's ONE DAY - and they know it as that. Family get-togethers for dinner, and back to normal on the 26th.

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
06-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Christmas Debt
Eternity Wrote:The Kiwis have it right, very low key, small select gifts for the kids, sod all in the shops or on show anywhere - it's ONE DAY - and they know it as that. Family get-togethers for dinner, and back to normal on the 26th.

I KNEW I was adopted I just knew it! I'm obviously a New Zealander by birth!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
06-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Christmas Debt
Funnily enough, Dol, I had heard that you were popular down-under. :bag:
06-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Christmas Debt
Patsy Wrote:Funnily enough, Dol, I had heard that you were popular down-under. :bag:

are you funning me?!

06-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Christmas Debt
I'll be in Egypt for Christmas and New Year this year so I'm going to keep the Christmas spending here to a minimum.

The only presents I'll be buying this years are for my sister, nieces and nephew.
I'm going to Florence this weekend and I'm hoping to be able to pick up something for each of them there.
We'll have a family get together the weekend before Christmas to exchange presents.

Mr M and I are going to both be let loose in Egypt on Christmas Eve with £20 each to see what we can get each other for that (has to be something small as we'll have to get it home!)
I'm also thinking about treating him to a hot air balloon ride over the Valley of the Kings.

I usually buy much to much food and drink for the festive period and end up putting on weight and throwing loads of it away in the end anyway!!
I plan on this year being different
06-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Christmas Debt
Minklemar Wrote:I'm also thinking about treating him to a hot air balloon ride over the Valley of the Kings.

Wow, Mink how fab will that be?!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Happy Christmas Saedhb 4 1,672 24-12-2009 02:23 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Christmas cupcakes jeryruse 2 1,261 17-12-2009 05:44 PM
Last Post: Mars
  Christmas spinach filo torte jeryruse 1 1,232 17-12-2009 12:59 PM
Last Post: jeryruse
  Tired of Christmas yet? karenh 8 2,001 28-12-2008 10:45 AM
Last Post: Buzz
  Merry Christmas Bonsai 8 1,969 27-12-2008 04:48 PM
Last Post: Seabreeze
  Christmas Parties Slipper 18 3,282 12-12-2008 01:45 PM
Last Post: Slipper
  A Christmas wish for you all! ~ils~ 11 2,744 02-01-2008 07:23 PM
Last Post: Tigereye
  The Christmas Rat Rob 1 1,313 11-12-2007 07:16 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Record your first sighting of domestic Christmas decorations here! Dolores 58 4,415 27-05-2007 05:23 AM
Last Post: Seabreeze
  Merry Christmas..ho Ho Ho! Coastie 9 1,618 26-12-2006 12:19 AM
Last Post: secrets