Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classical Brits reverting back to form.
08-05-2006, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2006 03:26 PM by Northern angel.)

Classical Brits reverting baack to form.

Last night, I watched in anticipation and hoped to be thrilled in the same fashion as last year and the year before. Last year and the year before the Classical Brit awards were truly spectacular. There was a number of new faces coming through which filled my heart with song. The amount of music and talent on display was truly amazing.Variety indeed was the spice of life.

However, last night 2006 Classical Brit awards didn't have that same sparkle, there were also fewer new faces. The awards ceremony was shorter and there were fewer awards being allocated. Another annoying detail was the non attendence of at least 2 out of every 3 winners not being present, so there was another lifeless message via satelite.

Of course last years awards ceremony was hosted by the bubbly character of Lesley Garrett, this years was hosted by Parky. I don't dislike Parky in the least indeed he is TV's finest interviewer, and in the world of light music a whole new breed of Modern Jazz, New age Swing, New age nostalga, contemporray folk and pop, owe him a big thank you for the breaks they would not otherwise have had. But for this occassion it needed someone with a personality overflow, that Parky does not have.

For me because I have serious classical interests, I was waiting for the mountain moving moment or musically orgasmic peice, that just didn't happen. I did hear a talented young trumpet player and Kiri singing an excerpt from some new age mass effortlessly. But overall it did nothing for me. certainly not enough to make me want to go out and buy the latest releases from last year. Bar one. I have bought Kathryn Jenkins, Living the dream, which was the winner of album of the year, for the second time running.An emotional Kathryn thanked her late father of ten years past, somehow I don't think the emotional trip will do it a third year running come 2007. There are serious classical artists working there little cotton socks off for recognition in the real world of concert hall, theatre, recital rooms and recording industry. Most who are just as deserving for there work with the real McCoy, and not some quasi arrangements disguising or rendering the classical work in the background easier to do.

The life time achievement award was given to Placido Domingo, who gave an emotionally charged thank you. He was sad. I found him sad about this, and affected by how a short matter of time has just suddenly aged him. Some 18 months ago he looked very different. Placido has lost weight and this has given him sallow features and aged him, he was somewhat pallid to the point of looking ill, on almost borrowed time. I sincerely hope he isn't ill, for this master of the voice still has it in him, to give at least 3 or 4 years before he is past his best.

And so to next year, which I hope will see a much enlivened awards ceremony to breathe life into the world of talented musicians and the classically gifted composers and singers throughout Britain.

Maureen
Northern angel.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Ma and Pa had it on, its not really my cuppa tea, I still watch the proper Brits with baited breath and I STILL listen to Radio 1 at nearly 42...........but I did hear a classical version of Bedshaped (original by Keane) which I rather liked.:thumbsup:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
08-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Isis Wrote:Ma and Pa had it on, its not really my cuppa tea, I still watch the proper Brits with baited breath and I STILL listen to Radio 1 at nearly 42...........but I did hear a classical version of Bedshaped (original by Keane) which I rather liked.:thumbsup:

Hello Isis,

How are you?

I'm 44 sometime this week, I too listen to programmes suitable for younger viewers or listeners.There is nothing wrong with listening to radio one. Your Mam and Dad might not think so though, being a different generation.

I listen to all sorts. Radio 2, 3 and 4. Sometimes metro, or Classical fm.
I'm not keen on the more modern pop programmes such as CD uk, I think I'd rather they did a revamp of TOP OF THE POPS.

Some television revamps have really worked and are drawing high viewing figures. I'm thinking here of Strictly Come Dancing and a number of spin offs there has been as a result of TV success.

Meanwhile, hope you are well and have recovered.

Maureen
Northern angel.:thumbsup:

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Westlife - Back Home - Review The Curmudgeon 1 811 11-05-2008 10:52 PM
Last Post: The Curmudgeon
  Brits 2006 Bella 8 2,330 10-05-2008 10:03 AM
Last Post: Buzz
  Classical Music? Critique 4 1,282 07-04-2006 09:59 PM