Poll: Clothes shopping: Do you do ever do it with your partner/friend?
Never in a million years
Ocassionally - but its an ordeal
Ocassionally - and its a treat
Always
Only for joint purchases
We tend to go out together, but split up to make our individual purchases
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clothes shopping: Do you do it with your partner?
04-08-2005, 07:26 PM

I love Mr H, but despite our many compatibilities there are some things that we just cannot do together. Clothes shopping is one of those things.....

The main reason for this is that we just have different approaches to it. E.g:

Mr H goes into a shop to buy some trousers. He sees some he likes and he buys them immediately. I am more than happy to accompany him on such trips and give him my opinion on the trousers. Total time spent making a purchase: 15 mintes approx.

In contrast, I go into a shop to buy a skirt. I see something I like and consider it as a potential purchase. I will then go into many other shops, selecting and trying skirts and mentally considering the ones I like in each. After all this, I will usually make a purchase, but it is by no means guaranteed that I will. Total time reaching a purchasing decision: 3 hours approx.

Mr H just does not have the patience to endure this process. He is great for the first hour, but anything boyeond that and he starts whingeing and dragging his feet. Even worse, his "opinion" becomes less reliable - he will say anything looks great in the hope that I will buy it and end the torture! On these ocassions I usually suggest he goes to the pub with the papers while I continue. He tends to cheer up a bit then. I don't blame him really - I get fed up myself sometimes!

But weirdly, he is fine if we are shopping for joint purchases (e.g. for the home). Then he is more than happy to take the Karen approach of reviewing and comparing to make the best purchase.

We have now formed a strategy. I go clothes shopping without him. If he has to be with me for some reason, we split up and reconvene over lunch, which he buys. Perfect!

It suits us, but I wondered what your shopping strategy is?

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2005, 07:34 PM
I was a bit confused by the question to start with as I thought it was about clothes shopping then it asked whether I do it with my partner/friend.

I don't really like going shopping with men - they're far fussier than I am Smile

However if I do then at least I can't be blamed for getting something they don't like, and if they pay for it even better Big Grin
04-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Vote in my poll you buggers!

(except Nox, who has done already :wubSmile

04-08-2005, 07:45 PM
I usually go on my own to buy stuff for me, cos he has appalling taste in women's clothes, but if he needs clothes I have to accompany him otherwise he'd exist in black tee-shirts and black jeans with black underwear and black socks.

If it's for the home we usually both go, but he's only really there for decoration - I listen to his opinions but then tell him where he's going wrong until he finally selects the item which I first spotted and decided on upon entering the store. :w00t:

He is never allowed to go shopping on his own unless it's for electrical items or groceries - in which case he is provided with a list. :bag:

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
04-08-2005, 07:46 PM
I don't like shopping at all. I like it even less if someone else is with me! god I'm a misery aren't I!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
04-08-2005, 07:47 PM
karenh Wrote:Vote in my poll you buggers!

(except Nox, who has done already :wubSmile

Gawd she's pushy, isn't she?

Bollox to potplants
04-08-2005, 07:48 PM
floopy Wrote:IHe is never allowed to go shopping on his own unless it's for electrical items or groceries - in which case he is provided with a list. :bag:

and does he stick religiously to the list with no deviation?

My friend sent her husband out with a shopping list of specifics, ie. milk, bread and stupidly added "something nice for pudding" ... well that flummoxed him, he came back puddingless. She now knows to write down EXACTLY what "something nice for pudding" is!!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
04-08-2005, 07:48 PM
floopy Wrote:......but if he needs clothes I have to accompany him otherwise he'd exist in black tee-shirts and black jeans with black underwear and black socks.

If it's for the home we usually both go, but he's only really there for decoration .......

LMAO!

A girl after my own heart.... :laugh:

04-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Dolores Wrote:and does he stick religiously to the list with no deviation?

Yup, although the list is usually very short cos he's easily distracted.

Oh, and he will usually add a carrier sized bag of chocolate and a bottle of scotch to any list, in lieu of shoe leather. :glare:

Bollox to potplants
04-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Our first ever shopping trip was in the Autumn of of 1992, infact we where on our honeymoon as such....spent a weekend with my mum and dad in north wales and decided to shop in Chester (where I was born by the by).

We travelled there in the car chit chatting away, looking forward to a days shopping..

THEN IT HAPPENED....HE..I SAY HE...walked into a shop and bought the first suitable thing that fitted :ohmy: NO NO NO Says I...even though it fits and its perfect you must spend the rest of the day proving yourself right.

We realized there and then that we were totally uncompatable in shopping and have never ever done it again. EVER.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What Clothes Do You Like? Purple Passion 6 991 12-05-2008 10:27 PM
Last Post: msgirl
  Christmas shopping experiences (sorry SF) tigger 25 1,829 21-12-2006 09:34 AM
Last Post: Bonsai
  Free Keyring For Shopping Trolleys Seabreeze 1 794 25-10-2006 06:11 PM
Last Post: Seabreeze
  Next time you go shopping.... Andrea 9 1,516 24-10-2006 09:54 AM
Last Post: MariaRob
  Ever gone out foreign for Christmas shopping Aondeag 10 1,118 06-12-2005 10:45 AM
Last Post: Aondeag
  What can I do? Clothes fixing dilema Bob 8 795 02-08-2005 10:53 PM
Last Post: Bob
  What annoys you about your husband/wife/partner etc.... maxine 97 4,131 15-04-2005 07:23 AM
Last Post: dab
  Ebay and Shopping Channels Critique 9 986 14-02-2005 01:32 PM
Last Post: Flip
  Last minute shopping Bob 22 1,566 21-12-2004 10:44 AM
Last Post: Cat
  On Line Shopping Dolores 13 1,397 23-11-2004 11:54 AM
Last Post: Tigereye