Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clothes you have not worn for a year?
14-04-2006, 03:42 PM

If you have items of clothing in your wardrobe that you have not worn for over a year then why are you keeping them? - wedding dress aside.

**I heart Northern Soul**
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Basically because I keep thinking that one day I will be slim enough to get into them again :unsure: I have some lovely jeans and t-shirts but need to shrink my body size to fit into them.
Find all posts by this user
14-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Seabreeze Wrote:Basically because I keep thinking that one day I will be slim enough to get into them again :unsure: I have some lovely jeans and t-shirts but need to shrink my body size to fit into them.

Exactly, in fact I have a pile of clothes in the bottom of my wardrobe and I call it my "hope" pile Wink
14-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Trouble is Crit we need two piles hope and not a cat in hells chance and that is the one we need to dump. I have loads thatI shouldget rid of not so much for size reasons but I have had it years and its too muttony for me ever to wear again. Its just a girl thing and I use that word very very loosely.
14-04-2006, 04:29 PM
I would imagine that all of us have clothes in our draws and wardrobes we have not worn for a year or more. Some of us will no doubt have articles which could be described as period clothing even. Not including the wedding dress which I deliberately made in the style of a Victorian gown with a bustle.

It is my own personal thought that when we buy clothes we don't always buy for the fashions of today, sometimes we buy things and select to wear them some two maybe three years later. There are occassions every year when I have observed shop window displays and thought how I wish I had kept such and such, not realising that a certain style or cut would come back into fashion. What also astounds me is the price certain things come back into fashion at and then I know that throwing the odd article out or taking it to a charity shop was a mistake.

I like to have three wardrobes in use, one full of clothing for when I am large, another wardrobe for when I am slim and my performance wardrobe has a mixture of the two. This is all because I have a seriously fluctuating body size, one year if I have dieted I'll go down to a size 14/16 another year I'll content myself with being a size 18. Someone once said to me that I should make a conscientious effort to stay slim and rid myself of my larger clothing, unfortunately I was horrified.

Every year I do a spring clean of all my wardrobes and yes I do fling out the odd article, but most of the articles I tend to clear by taking to a charity shop after having re laundered and ironed. Probably for no other reason other than tiring of them.

Like most women, I am a hoarder.

Maureen
Northern angel.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
14-04-2006, 05:28 PM
awww I'm still wearing em - smelly that I be - though they are a good deal tighter than they were a year ago ! ... worse I have a bag of 'slim (mer) clothes' stashed under the bed - some (most) will never fit again - unless I want to wear one of the t-shirts as a sock. Fat toes.

NEVER give up hope :wacko:
15-04-2006, 05:04 AM
IsLe Of WeAtHeR Wrote:If you have items of clothing in your wardrobe that you have not worn for over a year then why are you keeping them? - wedding dress aside.

The g-strings will make a comeback after the baby is off the breast and I'm back in the gym!! Then I'll stash the granny knicks away for the next one, probably over a year too.

And that goes for all my size XS clothes too.

Or maybe this is all fantasy and it will all end up in Oxfam in 20 years time (including the threadbare and worn out granny knicks) as my dream of past bodies slowly fades, and I start arguing the size M seems smaller these days.

Seriously though, they have reduced the sizes in some brands in the US! What used to be size 12, is now called size 10 to make people feel smaller! Not all brands, which means some size 12s are really 10, some 10 are still 10, some 10s are really 8s. Confusing or what?
15-04-2006, 11:38 AM
If you have clothes that dont fit anymore. sell them on Ebay or dump them and buy new. That will have a far greater positive effect that a constant reminder of your increasing girth sitting in your wardrobe. The reality is that if you are thinking "one day that may fit me again" then that should tell you that it wont.

**I heart Northern Soul**
17-04-2006, 09:25 AM
I have only kept one item of smaller clothing which i cant bare to throw away.

They are flare jeans. I used to have oodles of them when i was in my very early 20's and they are a size 12 (although a small 12) from Top Shop. They are light blue with purple embroidery and sequins on the flare part. I adore them sooooo much. Every house i have moved to they have come with me.

I know i cant even get my left thigh into them now - but i live in eternal hope and optimism.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
17-04-2006, 11:11 AM
because things always come back into fashion!! like i had a dig out of my mothers old stuff and she had waistbelts from the 80's how cool?? and also a pair of pixie boots i used to detest are sooo trendy right now. Also because i once visited this vintage warehouse in glasgow and it was a fashion lovers dream. racks and racks of original pieces from any era you could think of!!! and all this from just not throwing away and collecting from car booters/ house clearances etc and she has quite a good business loaning costumes and selling these items. so from now on i keep everything!!! if its in ok condition i keep it unless its just plain tees or anything like that.

kookycat? she makes exceedingly good posts

[Image: pot002.gif]

[Image: egg03061.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Message Boards - So last year? Groucho 172 10,572 14-09-2006 12:31 PM
Last Post: Bella
  Jail for 73 year old over Council Tax Bonsai 37 3,164 28-09-2005 02:31 PM
Last Post: Aondeag