Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comedy Clubs!
27-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Comedy Clubs!

I went to one for the 1st time last night for one of my work's christmas outings. And it is not an experience I want to repeat.

It was at Jongleurs at the Gun Wharf Quay's in Portsmouth (do you know it Coastie, Dol?).

When the comedians were on there were a few hecklers and when they were asked to behave it all got a little out of hand and the police had to be called to evict them. In the end about 30 people were asked to leave including the table next to us.

We did stay for the disco afterwards and the management did give us a couple of bottles of wine to apoligise for our inconvience but it did spoil the evening.

Have you ever had an experience like that at a comedy club or do you think this was just a one off?
Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Comedy Clubs!
Definitely a one off ils - I have been to loads and used to go regulary to the one or two in Newcastle.

I loved them a great place to go, have a cheapish meal, after hours dirnking and a jolly good laugh too boot!!

In fact I had my hen night in one - and didn't one of my mates tell one of the comedians it was my hen night - I was ribbed mercilessly the whole night by absolutely every comic, and even the bar and restaurant staff, and the audience too. It was quite hysterical.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Comedy Clubs!
I agree with Flip - it must be a one-off.
Ive been to one in Glasgow a few times called The Stand and it has always been a brilliant night! I'd give it another chance if I were you.

Why do you think people were heckling the comedians? Weren't they funny or were their jokes quite risqué?

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
27-11-2004, 06:01 PM
Comedy Clubs!
Peej Wrote:Why do you think people were heckling the comedians? Weren't they funny or were their jokes quite risqué?

They weren't brilliant but I don't think they were too bad or too risque, I just think the people who got thrown out, had, had too much to drink.
27-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Comedy Clubs!
I agree with Flip and Peej - it sounds like a one-off.

I haven't been to a comedy club for ages, but when I was living in South London I used to go them regularly because a number of the places that hosted comedy nights near me were on the comedy circuit. There was a brilliant place in Balham called the Banara Cabaret above a pub (the Balham Arms) where I saw many up and coming comedians before they got famous (Alan Davies, Bill Bailey, Harry Hill etc). and we had fantastic nights there! they tended to attrat a student crowd because they were cheap to get into, the grub was wholesome but unfussy (chilli etc) and the beer was pub prices. Since I've moved to Surrey I kinda miss those nights, but perhaps I'm a bit long in the tooth for student dives now. But generally, there was never any trouble at these places - they shut at 11:00pm and everyone was there for a nice time. They were a bit scuzzy and cheap, but you don't expect luxury if you've only paid £3 to get in and it was a laugh.

Have to say though that I never rated Jongleurs. At the time I didn't live that far from Jonlgeurs Clapham, and I did go there a few times. It was like a comedy club for people that earned more money than students. The prices were expensive to get in (more like £15 compared to £3), the beer was pricier than a pub, but you didn't get any extra and the whole atmosphere was a bit.......up itself! Lots of yuppies in there that were hankering back to their student days or were catering for corporate nights out - and some of them were ****ers! Yes, they heckled, but usually they got put down sharpish by the comedian without the need to involve security. But it doesn't surprise me that Jongleurs might've needed a bit more muscle. I can imagine some obnoxious broker getting drunk, thinking he's funny and then abusing one of the acts and getting chucked out.

My guess is that you went to the wrong place ILS. Comedy clubs can be fab. but they're meant to be basic and good fun! But even for Jonelguers I'd reckon that you just happend to hit a duff night.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Your Comedy Character? isleofweather 24 1,179 14-06-2005 10:23 PM
Last Post: Fee For All