Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complaining to personnel about work colleagues...
09-02-2005, 06:24 PM

Well have you ever done it or had it done to you?

I have! Today I went to personnel with a list of my boss's unreasonable behaviour which I'd spoken to his line manager about and he'd agreed with me.

I feel a lot better for it, although I have told personnel that at this stage I don't want the information used, as his line manager is going to speak to him on Friday about his unreasonable behaviour. So if things don't improve then I will take things further .... a step I feel will be bound to happen as he is a very ignorant man who would not accept he has faults.

Throughout the company people have tales of this bloke's unreasonable behaviour. EVERYONE is aware of it. And yet when I went to personnel I was flabbergasted to find that NO-ONE had complained!!! It honestly defies belief. The personnel manager said she'd heard rumours and recognised that he could be unreasonable but had no statements from anyone. I'm just so incredulous that I'm using long words like incredulous!

I now feel strongly that if colleagues have a complaint that is valid then they should go to personnel so that the company is aware of the unappropriate, unreasonable behaviour, also to give the "offender" a chance to redeem himself!

So what does anyone else think?

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2005, 06:37 PM
I haven't personally ever had to complain, but I deal with it all the time!

What a shame you've had to put up with this - but hopefully something will be done about it now. Sometimes it's a blessed relief when someone does complain!

PS Happy to help if you need any advice...Smile

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
09-02-2005, 06:41 PM
So Fee for All you should be in professionals/expert declaring your speciality!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
09-02-2005, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't bother complaining where I work, our personnel are a total waste of space!
09-02-2005, 09:00 PM
The HR person where I worked (before I left to have my baby last year) was absolutely awful! A complete moody cow. My colleagues complained to the directors & there was a huuuuuge blow up, luckily I wasn't involved- though it was interesting to watch. Meetings upon meetings in the conference room. I felt like a bit of a coward as I had some issues with her, but I was months away from leaving so I didn't see the point. It takes somebody with a strong character to do it. Now she has her own office apart from those who complained (they used to share an office). It looks like it was worth doing it. If somebody is going to cause trouble and peeve people off then they have to get whats coming to them. Its only when they have their heads firmly up the directors anal passage that it may backfire.

It is difficult but I salute you for doing it. Life's too short to allow somebody to behave in a way that is affecting you negatively. It is only work but work is your life for most of the day so its worth making it as best as it can be.

Hope he gets fired !

visit my forum : Stardust Forums
09-02-2005, 09:11 PM
I have made a serious complaint about a work colleague and like you Dolores no-one else had complained yet the unreasonable and unprofessional behaviour was well known. As I was vocal and clear I experienced quite a backlash with some, total avoidance from others. I stood my ground and, 2 years later, it is still in process. So my word of warning is, watch your step, document everything and don't expect others to support you if it is sink or swim. Mortgages, job security, personal power, self-esteem, fear etc all are players in the office politics. Well done though and good luck. Hope the line manager makes the difference for you.
09-02-2005, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2005 12:00 AM by Bob.)
I am having such problems with a work colleague at the moment, but complaining about them has only made things worse for me. The company I work for is quite small and the MD likes to have complete control over everything.We call our line manager "The pencil allocator" as that is as much authority he has without going through the MD.

Anyway there is this nasty bullying bitch who had worked there for about 20 years. She really is awful, she will attack anyone who doesn't fall into her way off doing things. She is basically good at her job but no where near as perfect and efficient as she makes out. It took me two days to suss her out and realise that she is a bullying manipulating person. I also realised very quickly that no one really likes her, but as one woman pointed out to me, she is better off being your friend than your enemy. Another warned me don't cross her or she'll stab you in the back.
Well I did cross her, and I did get stabbed, big time. I can't stand to see her putting someone down just becausethey are a bit clumsy or forgetful. She resents any of the recent recruits who have degrees, as she worked her way up from the bottom and says you don't need a degree to do our job.
My problem is that the MD is so weak and feeble that even he won't stand up to her! He's happy to let her carry on (even though he knows what she is like) everyone says the reason is that she is too good a worker. Well bullsocks. She's ok, but not irreplaceable. Everyone who works there has an opinion on everyone, and it's always the same opinion, no one has an original thought. I feel like I've gone back in time.
Dolores you are right to complain. I understand why you feel so frustrated that no one else has. People are scared for their jobs and maybe fear that their lives at work will be miserable.
Does this person know how you feel about them?
I think it's always best to try let them know too how you feel.
I don't even talk to this woman at my work now unless it is work related, sometime it's a bit embarrassing and I wish we'd had a row to air our grievences. I did try by asking if it was her who had reported me for something but she denied it, but I knew (and everyone else knew) that it was her, so I kind of hit a brick wall there. I often wonder what I would say to her if she tried to be friendly, in the past I have just got back into chatting to her and not realised that she was still plotting and scheming. I won't go into details about what she did, but it was realy dispicable. I can't understand why somone would want to hurt another person so much. I'm a bit of a softy and I don't like to hurt people's feelings, but what I want to tell her that she disgusts me and unless she apologises to me for her actions then I want nothing to do with her except on a professional level. If I openly voice my opinion I know I'll be seen as a trouble maker.
I hope I've won the loto tonight!

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
10-02-2005, 12:31 AM
I have spoken to my boss and he knows what my grievances are, but he doesn't see that there is a problem. I'm not backward in coming forward and when I've got a point to make I do make it in a forceful and professional manner, so there's no shilly shallying or much room for misinterpretation. Unfortunately if someone doesn't what to be agreeable and reasonable and no-one has pointed out to them in a proper and professional way that theY need to be, then usually that person carries on being a b*****d!!

We need to unite brothers ...and sisters and just remember "DON'T LET THE *******S GRIND YOU DOWN"!!!

Quote: I hope I've won the loto tonight!

Amen to that Bob! ....actually for me this is an impossible dream cos I don't do the lottery! d'oh! :oops:

10-02-2005, 07:23 AM
Bob and Dolores you might want to look up http://www.abc.ie as a resource. I think that it can be total misery to work with people you cant trust and dont feel safe with. It takes so much energy out of you to maintain your professional and, often distant, because it is necessary, self. Hope you both have better work days from now on.
15-02-2005, 05:16 PM
ilovesurvivor Wrote:I wouldn't bother complaining where I work, our personnel are a total waste of space!
Same here ILS. I work for an NHS Trust and to be honest, as long as you dont go and punch the chief executive, more or less anything goes, for the simple reason, if you put in a complaint, our HR Dept have no idea how to deal with it or would prefer to sweep things under the carpet.
A male colleague of mine was being bullied at work by his female boss and his health started to suffer. He was hauled over the coals for having too much time off work, and so - with the support of his GP, he decided to go in and tell them exactly why he was getting panic attacks and was avoiding going in. Their answer was to tell him that no-one else had ever complained about her, that they had only ever heard good things about the way she treated staff and to tell him that he needed to see the Doc at Occupational Health and if he were to agree to his GPs request that he take time off work, would, after three months be expected to either attend an interview after three months or have his line manager (the bullying one), visit him at home with a member of HR to have "a little chat" about when he would be returning to work.
He felt demoralised, humiliated, embarrassed and totally unsupported and nothing was done to investigate any of his claims.

He eventually left. He was a very popular guy, especially with his mental health clients, who miss him terribly. What is worse, since he has left, one or two members of staff have come forward to say they witnessed the bullying but are too scared to say anything.

Not honestly sure why we even have an HR Dept ...........

Liking the cut of your jib.........[Image: aniburns.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Smoking at work maxine 17 2,213 21-09-2005 07:27 PM
Last Post: Normal1