Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Help
30-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Computer Help

Hey! Got an LCD monitor thing and its giving me stress! The picture is too bright and I have brightness on 0! Been playing with contrast and brightness but doesn't do the trick Sad
Really hurting the eyes Sad
What other things am I supposed to do?
Thanks,
A stresssed Sharkey (now legal yahoooo!)

My Shark Website
[Image: Fin.gif]
____/\___\0/____
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Computer Help
It took me a couple of days for my eyes to adjust when I first got mine. Also its not like a monitor, you have to be sat directly in front, you can't look down from above if you get my jist.

You could try wearing sunglasses if all else fails.....or maybe return it.
31-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Computer Help
I'm not sure there's a lot you can do. LCD monitors are invariably brighter (and clearer) than CRT. You could try using a duller colour scheme for Windows. Choose a light grey colour, rather than white, for program backgrounds.

It might be worth checking with your supplier - there may be a problem with a regulator that's resulting in an over-bright screen. But it may well just be a hazard of this particular monitor.

You could try one of those screen filter things, that you can buy from dabs.com. They are virtually useless for the intended purpose in most cases (reducing reflections and glare), but I think you might find it reduces the overall brightness of your screen if you install one.

Try updating your graphics card drivers, because some drivers have additional advanced controls for brightness (or gamma correction). That's probably your best (and cheapest) bet.

Other than that, whim might have some suggestions?

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
31-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Computer Help
No suggestions from me, they're brighter for sure but mine will go to black when I turn brightness to 0 - so it could be faulty maybe, power supply as blink suggested?

Have you tried setting contrast to full and brightness to 0 and seeing what happens?

It may be just your sensitive eyes! Have you got a PC shop nearby that you go in to have a look at another tft screen? That should give you an idea if your eyes are just sensitive to it?

dunno Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
31-05-2005, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2005 11:52 AM by Shark_Attacks.)
Computer Help
Thanks, I think it's just that Im neurotic! In the shop it looked perfect but at home it is still bright even on my brothers PC. Its just that with my CRT the image colours are rich but with the LCD the brightness of it kinda dilutes the colours. Ill stick with it but I just don't want it destroying my eyes and that was the whole point of getting one.

My Shark Website
[Image: Fin.gif]
____/\___\0/____
31-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Computer Help
In that case, I'd definitely check to see if there's a gamma adjustment in your display properties (right-click on the desktop, choose 'properties', go to settings, and click 'advanced properties') because that will fix exactly this kind of problem. Not all graphics drivers have this option, but many do nowadays.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
19-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Computer Help
Just been looking through this thread as I have now got a new TFT monitor and I found it really bright as well.

I have had a fiddle with the gamma adjustments and all the brightness and other stuff on the monitor, and it's better now.
But I think it's because the monitor is just so much better than my old one.

I've also changed the screen area settings, and am now on 1024 x 768 setting. Is this the optimum for a TFT monitor, or is it more of a case of what you like best?

One other thing, the screen now seems to be "bending" in the middle.
Is this because the picture is stretched more than I was used to, (my old monitor was 640 x 480) so therefore is it a case of getting used to the new one?

I tell you, the amount of screen I have now is amazing, pretty much double what I had before.
I can't believe how big you all really are:w00t:

[Image: 429.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Computer shops maxine 6 943 07-01-2006 01:37 PM
Last Post: JakeyBoy
  Computer help needed! Bella 4 1,076 03-08-2005 03:36 PM
Last Post: Bella
  My Computer's Being Evil Scooby 21 2,920 24-11-2004 10:56 AM
Last Post: Blink