Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Con Artist Trick
22-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Con Artist Trick

I don't think this is particularly a new one, but its one that I found fiendishly clever. I would pride myself on not usually getting taken, but I wonder if I would have fallen victim to this one. Anyway, just be aware in case they come knocking:

Scenario: A woman breaks down in her car (fancy BMW), and knocks on your door. She is distressed, saying she forgot to put petrol in the car and could she phone her husband to bring round some petrol as they only live half a mile away. She calls her husband, and an argument ensues where she has obviously done this before and he is angry. They argue for a few minutes, she cries, then he hangs up. She announces he will be around soon, then another car comes and the petrol is put in, and they drive away. All pretty innocent right?

What actually happened is they set up a pay line, which charges something like 100 pounds a minute (totally legal). She calls the payline, racks up 300 quid, then you only find out when the phone bill comes in.

There have been a number of court cases on this, but no laws seem to be broken and the phone companies have been pressing home on the charges as it is not their responsibility that the charges were incurred. It may have changed now, but a very clever scam.

Anyone heard of any other scams we should be on the watch for?
Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Con Artist Trick
I've heard of that one before too Sayangmouse, but I still think I'd be taken in by it if it happend to me.

Now that I've been reminded, if any damsels in distress come calling at my door with this sob story, I'll ask them to give me the number of their husband and I'll make the call. 'Cos I wouldn't be happy turning the woman away just in case it was a scam.

i've heard of a similar one where a young girl in a dishevelled and distressed state will run up to a guyon the street, claim she has been attacked, and ask to borrow his mobile phone to call the police. Then she sets up the pay line. While they are waiting for the police, she will claim that she is going to use the loo / buy some tissues / fags etc. but never comes back. Horrid really that people can abuse the kindess of stranger that way. No wonder there are so few Good Samaritans around these days.

There's loads of cunning scams out there, but d'ya know - I can't think of a single one at the moment.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Con Artist Trick
I'm afraid this is an urban myth - read this for more details

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Con Artist Trick
Thanks Rob!

Doh....I fell for it LOL :glare: