Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conquering fears - the IAC way
26-11-2004, 10:23 PM

Various celeb's in the past have given 'a desire to conquer their fears' as a reason for entering IAC (Natalie said it this year) but, speaking as someone who works with people on facing their fears on a regular basis, I can't help wondering why it is that the team psychologist/psychotherapist doesn't advise them against this. I know I have said it before, but I am convinced that following the limited exposure to their fear (in it's escalating stage) during the BTTs, any celeb with a phobia will leave with it reinforced rather than extinguished.

Any cognitive behaviour therapist will tell you that for a fear to be extinguished you need to stay in that situation until the anxiety subsides (usually 10 - 20 minutes) any withdrawal from intense fear/anxiety prior to this merely reinforces the phobia and makes it harder to tackle later on. Someone (preferably the psychologist) should have gone out to the bridge to meet Natalie and made her stand there, doing breathing exercises until her fear subsided, she should then have been asked to walk backwards and forwards along the bridge, assisted if necessary, until she could do it alone, fear, and hands free, it wouldn't have taken long for that to happen and she could then have at least gone home with a sense of achievement.

It may not make for good entertainment, but I'd rather see someone truly conquer a fear rather than face it and fail.
Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2004, 10:30 PM
Far from letting them conquer their phobias, it looks like the programme actually creates new ones ("the flies, the flies, I CAN'T STAND THE FLIES!!!!)

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
26-11-2004, 10:31 PM
survivorfan Wrote:Far from letting them conquer their phobias, it looks like the programme actually creates new ones ("the flies, the flies, I CAN'T STAND THE FLIES!!!!)

Lol, yes exactly! I don't think he even noticed them before. He'll most probably sue now :wink2:
26-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Just a quick note because I think this is important. Going on IAC is not therapy. I wrote to Big Brother when Jade was a contestant and complained about their assessment process (after she stripped on show and was clearly vulnerable). Although I never got a reply, I stated knowledge of this process and questioned their ethics. It is the same with this, IAC and Nat seeking therapy for her fears, they are not compatable. It is fun entertainment, and a personal challenge but not therapy and not treatment.
26-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Voice of reason Wrote:Lol, yes exactly! I don't think he even noticed them before. He'll most probably sue now :wink2:

Hehe, that's exactly what I said earlier.

Are you sure it wouldn't have taken long for Natlie to have conquered her fears of crossing the bridge with the right support. Wouldn't it rather depend on whether or not the camera was on her?

I think they're using the 'conquering their fears' statement as a cover up for 'want to make loads of dosh'. During the last series, I was reading about the huge amount of people that back up a show like this. Amongst them will be medically qualified personnel, and I've no doubt there will be a truck load of psychologists on hand should anything go horribly wrong. Surely someone would have told them this wasn't the best way of overcoming a phobia. It would be pretty mean if they hadn't.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-11-2004, 11:11 PM
At least by this time last year, Kerry had overcome some of her fears, but I don't think Nat is able to overcome any of her fears and she is going to be like this the whole show through.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-11-2004, 11:28 PM
tonee Wrote:Just a quick note because I think this is important. Going on IAC is not therapy. I wrote to Big Brother when Jade was a contestant and complained about their assessment process (after she stripped on show and was clearly vulnerable). Although I never got a reply, I stated knowledge of this process and questioned their ethics. It is the same with this, IAC and Nat seeking therapy for her fears, they are not compatable. It is fun entertainment, and a personal challenge but not therapy and not treatment.

No, I know that tonee, I was just shooting the psychological breeze a bit really, musings of my mind more than anything else Smile
26-11-2004, 11:32 PM
I know that. But I do think it is worth making that point again.
This show, IAC, brings out the preacher in me!!!!
26-11-2004, 11:43 PM
My screen is jumping around for some reason and being new, finding my way around this site, is not quite flowing yet. I like people and groups and it is interesting to watch people face their fears or learn about themselves in a group (Lord of the Flies). Never a dull moment. I'll be back but the challenge of my screen is sending me off now. Thanks for your welcome
26-11-2004, 11:46 PM
tonee Wrote:My screen is jumping around for some reason and being new, finding my way around this site, is not quite flowing yet. I like people and groups and it is interesting to watch people face their fears or learn about themselves in a group (Lord of the Flies). Never a dull moment. I'll be back but the challenge of my screen is sending me off now. Thanks for your welcome

Ahh I understand! No problem Smile

Night!