Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coooeeee - I'm Back
30-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Coooeeee - I'm Back

Well that was a bit of "excitment" (not the right word really).

We were just sitting here Saturday evening and it was a lovely evening. Grandson Tom had been on about going up to Billericay but Mr. C said he didn't really fancy it and that he was going to a flying club Gala today.

Because I know how much Tom (and all the kids) love it just running wild, swinging from trees, shooting air pistols at targets (under supervision of course) and just generally sitting round the permanent camp fire, I suggested to Mr. C that we could set off early Sunday morning, be there in a couple of hours and then come home in the evening. A day there is enough for me, to be honest because, as Mazz explained, there are no facilities whatsoever. Just a great big 5 berth caravan.

It was nearly 6 o'clock and Mr. C looked at his watch and said, "let's just go now, we can be away by 7 and up there by 9!". I knew what he was thinking, the Carboot Sale at Billericay is huge so if we went Saturday we could be up and round the booty on Sunday morning Wink

I kept thinking that the 2 brothers already up there might not be best pleased having to put us up too but Mr. C always says "you worry too much, Arthur loves people up there and always says the more the merrier" so I managed a quick shower (knowing I wouldn't get anything more than a wipe over with a wet-wipe til we got home) threw a couple of changes of underwear and some deodorant into a bag along with change of clothes for Tom (in case he fell is something nasty) clothes for Mr. C etc.

We threw sleeping bags, pillows, and stuff like that into the car and just took off. We had a brilliant journey up there, hardly any traffic on the M25 at that time of evening and Tom slept til we got to the Dartford Tunnel.

We pulled into the woods at Billericay at 8.35 pm which was good going. Imagine our shock horror, though, when we saw that Arthur had his 2 sons with him (not sure how old they are but Mazza probably knows. I'm sure Paul is in his 20s but not sure about Lee, but the point is, they are not little kids!)

Considering we had arrived totally unexpectedly they gave us a warm welcome and soon we were sitting round the old camp fire tucking into barbecued pork, steak, chicken etc., while the men including the other brother who lives up there and the next door neighbour, poured booze down their throats and got mellow.

To be honest, I really enjoyed it. It was a beautiful evening and we had some music filtering through the woods from our car CD player and it was real chill out time. The older lads played "frisby" with tom and kept an eye on him while they gathered up more logs for the bonfire. I just had this niggling feeling about where we were all going to sleep.

I did volunteer to sleep in the car - it wouldn't have bothered me but the men were very chivalrous and insisted I had the little bedroom with the single bed in it and Tom slept in a sleeping bag on the floor by the side of me.

The other 5 men slept 2 on the convertible sofa bed, 2 in the pulldown bed and one on the floor! Crowded or what?

Next morning we were up and about early. We had a good wander round the bootsale and then agreed to meet up at Tesco's for more supplies. Unforunately, Mr. C has no sense of direction and took a wrong turn so we ended up on a dual carriageway with no way of turning round until we were practically at Southend (well slight exaggeration but it felt like it!). After taking 2 more wrong turnings and getting hopelessly lost we finally found the right Tesco just in time to pass the others on their way back to the Caravan. Yes, I had my mobile but only one of the older boys had one and I didn't have his number!

Anyway, we had another pleasant afternoon and evening in the sunshine and round the camp fire but woke this morning to pouring rain. There's nothing worse than Billericay in the rain, it's just mud, mud, mud. Good job we had all planned to come home this morning anyway.

So here we are back home again and I have cooked eggs and bacon for Tom and Mr. C and they have gone off to the flying gala and I am now going to have a lovely hot shower, put some TCP on my Mozzie bites and catch up with the messages. The sleeping bags and stuff have all been dropped in a heap in the spare room but I'll get round to sorting them out later.

Isn't running water great? Aren't proper flushing toilets wonderful? Doesn't your own tea taste "special"?

By the way, thanks for all the good wishes on my "going away" thread :thumbsup:
Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Coooeeee - I'm Back
sounds like a lovely impromptu break Crit! I hope you feel all the better for it! :thumbsup: [Image: 7_2_200v.gif]

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Coooeeee - I'm Back
Dolores Wrote:sounds like a lovely impromptu break Crit! I hope you feel all the better for it! :thumbsup: [Image: 7_2_200v.gif]

Thanks Dol - I wouldn't say I feel better for it exactly but at least it was something different Wink
30-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Coooeeee - I'm Back
Welcome back Crit! Sounds like you had fun :w00t:

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
30-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Coooeeee - I'm Back
Welcome home Crit. Can i ask, where were you camping ? Was it at Barleylands ? But you mentioned the woods, i didnt think you could camp in Norsey Woods.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
30-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Coooeeee - I'm Back
Welcome back Crit, it sounds like you had great fun on your little jaunt! But it is always nice to be home!
30-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Coooeeee - I'm Back
By the way, thanks for all the good wishes on my "going away" thread

Blimey Crit he didn't make an honest woman of you did he :shocking:

Welcome back I missed ya and bet there were some lovely boys tales around the camp fire :bored: how many times would that be you've heard them bless them they love their reminising don't they. BTW didn't know Lee and Paul were going Arf only mentioned him and George.
Find all posts by this user
30-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Coooeeee - I'm Back
Welcome back Crit:bye:

Sounds like you had an ace time, and just to go there on the spur of the moment probably made it even better.
It sounds fantastic just sitting round a bonfire and chatting and drinking beer.
Hey, next meet all in the caravan at Billericay:w00t:

[Image: 429.gif]
30-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Coooeeee - I'm Back
Welcome back Crit, it does sound like you enjoyed yourself Big Grin

Gel x
Find all posts by this user
30-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Coooeeee - I'm Back
LOL Crit - I love it - your impulsive departure was as impulsive as your homecoming - keep it up girl.Smile

Glad you had a change of scenery and some fun with the boys!! [if we didn't know you better ... ho hum!!]:wink2:

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bob Monkhouse Back On TV Seabreeze 11 1,869 15-06-2007 07:45 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Let's get this road back on the show .... Dolores 24 2,178 07-06-2007 08:18 AM
Last Post: Bonsai
  Welcome Back Mazwad Critique 9 1,062 26-06-2006 03:14 AM
Last Post: Northern angel
  Hi All - Back from The Broads Critique 9 1,160 21-06-2006 09:41 PM
Last Post: Critique
  I brought back more than a bunch of tacky souvenirs from my wedding in Las Vegas Rothera 107 5,390 06-06-2006 09:40 AM
Last Post: bridge
  Bring Back The Monthly Theme Threads? Patsy 67 4,116 17-03-2006 09:02 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Be Right Back JakeyBoy 22 2,151 14-03-2006 01:36 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  Horrah i'm back! bridge 12 1,417 28-02-2006 03:16 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  Back Pain Cat 23 1,888 31-12-2005 03:56 PM
Last Post: jaycee
  OK..I really am back this time.... Kittencat 19 1,632 07-12-2005 12:32 PM
Last Post: Kittencat