Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit Crunch?
24-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Credit Crunch?

I'm not holding my breath for replies, but I thought I'd have a stab at starting a new thread here to see if it incites any interest.

So, which of you out there are feeling the "Credit Crunch" pinch? I have and I'm noticing it everywhere to the extent that I feel that I'm actually poorer now than I was say, two years ago.

The reason I'm asking is because until last night I just assumed that everyone would be feeling the pinch. But it would seem that this is not the case. While out with a girlfriend last night she pretty much said that the whole thing has passed her by. Yeah, she's noticed that grocery prices are a bit higher, but she doesn't drive, doesn't have a mortage and works in an industry that flourishes during an economic downturn, so she's laughing really. I also have friends out in Dubai and they are also completely unaffected.

Just wondered what your experiences have been. Feeling the pinch, or feeling flush?

I'll sit back now and await the barrage of replies....

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Credit Crunch?
I've noticed some of my friends being a lot more cautious in their spending on luxuries - cutting down on nights out, bringing lunches to work, buying wine,cancelling weekends away etc, and being more sensible with money generally.

I've always been a skinflint, so not much has changed chez moi except the effing bills going up.

bam bam
Find all posts by this user
24-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Credit Crunch?
I'm feeling it a bit - my wife lost a quarter of her job - and my son has just gone back to University so we'll cut back a bit.

We'll probably cut down on some of the luxuries - like food, to keep is well stocked in the necessities of life - like booze.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
24-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Credit Crunch?
Rob Wrote:I'm feeling it a bit - my wife lost a quarter of her job - and my son has just gone back to University so we'll cut back a bit.

We'll probably cut down on some of the luxuries - like food, to keep is well stocked in the necessities of life - like booze.

Hmm yeah. I know what you mean. Sorry to hear about Mrs Rob losing .25 of her job :sad:

We haven't had to cut back on booze yet (crikey, pray God it never gets THAT bad) but we do go out a lot less than we used to. I also find that I use the car a lot less, which is probably a good thing. I'm much more careful when food shopping than I used to be and have changed my shopping habits quite dramatically. And I've noticed that the slightest unexpected cost has a big impact. We went to a wedding at the beginning of this month, and with the cost of getting there, the wedding present, hen/stag night and overnight stay in the hotel I spent almost £300. Being a wedding guest ain't cheap and it has seriously left me tightening my belt for the rest of the month. Going to a wedding never used to have such a big impact on my purse.

Worst thing though is that I'm having to look for a new hairdresser. When that happens I know its reached crisis point! The b'stard put up his prices last month and I honestly can't justify paying those costs. Hope he loses loads of customers, the greedy gobsh!te.

24-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Credit Crunch?
two words Tre hates, ackshooally!!!! lol!

I can't say I've felt it - I'm always broke! But I do worry for next May when my mortgage comes off the fixed rate - that will cripple me I reckon.

Actually I got a job upgrade and pay rise in April and tbh even though I'm earning more money I'm still broke - so maybe I am feeling it without being able to put my finger on what's costing me more. Although I do notice it's incredibly easy to spend £70- £80 on groceries whereas before it would probably come to £40 - £50 ... and there's only two of us and a manky cat!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
24-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Credit Crunch?
I can't say I'm finding it easy to be honest.

I've just finished Uni and so am looking for jobs, but really really not getting anywhere. Luckily, I am back at home so my parents aren't charging me anywhere near as much as I should be paying.

I reckon I'll feel it really badly when I move away in the near future though.

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
24-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Credit Crunch?
Trust me, we're all fu**ed!

If you have a mortgage you're going to feel it in higher mortgage rates and NO cheap deals around.

If you have a credit card, the credit company will be looking at you and deciding whether to cut your limit or not.

Bank loans will become nearly a thing of the past.

Ocean Direct (ie:sub prime) is going to become horrendously expensive.

On the other hand, your other point about food, energy and commodity prices is a different matter. They are all roofing it due to over-demand from rapidly growing nations like China and India.

So, what you have is a good old "double whammy" of rising prices and rapidly rising cost of money.

Oh, and another thing, Alistair Darling is going to have to borrow so much money, that is seems fairly certain that taxes will have to rise as well.

Thank God St. Gordon has put an end to "boom and bust", eh?

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
25-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Credit Crunch?
You paint a bleak picture Grouch.

Just out of interest, can you see an end to this? Obviously not in the next year or two, but beyond that period?

Also, obviously you feel strongly that Gordon Brown's complete lack of foresight as Chancellor has contributed to this sitution, but do you also feel that the Margaret Thatchers initiative to make homeowners of us all has also contributed to some extent?

I can see us (as a Nation) regressing back to the 1970's again, where most people didn't have a mortgage. They rented their home, like the majority of Europeans now. It is getting almost impossible for first time buyers to get onto the housing ladder, and without them the market wil inevitably grind to halt.

26-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Credit Crunch?
My credit's totally crunched! What my ex wife doesn't take the 27 year old prostitute girlfriend i live with injects. Apparently there is a credit crunch in that line of business too. Never mind one of my daughters is getting married in two weeks and i've managed to contribute, though i haven't been invited yet, ( something to do with my girlfriend being younger than my eldest daughter i think. ) And i'm going to have a new grandson in january. Mom says i should think about std's and stop drinking vodka, she's 86.

[INDENT]

[/INDENT]
27-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Credit Crunch?
Groucho Wrote:Trust me, we're all fu**ed!

It might not be as grim as you suggest.

Lets wait and see what the American solution is.