Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DEFRA V The Ickle Lambs
26-04-2005, 09:46 PM
DEFRA V The Ickle Lambs

On the news today, a slaughterhouse owner who has two baby lambs on his hands...that he and his staff will not kill.
Apparently a lamb sent to slaughter delivered two babies at the slaughterhouse and DEFRA insist they be killed within 48 hours, (as with all stock),this deadline has passed.
The owner is willing to battle DEFRA over this, and risk a large fine, and will not kill baby lambs just to chuck em in a waste bin for incineration.

What I cant understand is why a pregnant ewe was sent to an abattoir, and
why someone who sets up a slaughterhouse is shying away from killing two lambs.

Is the guy just after publicity, or is that a cynical attitude to take?

M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2005, 10:01 PM
DEFRA V The Ickle Lambs
I agree Marmy...why send a pregnant ewe to a slaughter house? :wallbash:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
26-04-2005, 10:03 PM
DEFRA V The Ickle Lambs
Why would DEFRA insist on the baby lambs being killed?
I don't understand.
And as you've said, sending a pregnant ewe to the slaughter house, strange.

[Image: 429.gif]
26-04-2005, 10:10 PM
DEFRA V The Ickle Lambs
I'd say he was after publicity and hard cash look at the money those pigs made the ons that escaped but then again I'm a bit cynical myself.
Find all posts by this user
26-04-2005, 11:49 PM
DEFRA V The Ickle Lambs
Indeed sending a ewe so near to lambing is weird.

After the mad cow scare DEFRA say that any animal sent to an abattoir must be killed within 48 hours of arrival there...the abattoir owner says that because the lambs were born there it was an accident so they should be spared (as they are too young to be viable as carcasses) they would just be killed and thrown into the waste bin.

I'm thinking, if he is so concerned he could keep them as pets, and I'm thinking, if you get a job as slaughterman you dont care what you kill.

Publicity I think...but why?

Weird
M

Intergalactic Space Cat

27-04-2005, 02:23 AM
DEFRA V The Ickle Lambs
Maybe Flippy can explain more! :mellow:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
27-04-2005, 08:36 AM
DEFRA V The Ickle Lambs
Well I can think of two reasons why a pregnant ewe was sent to the slaughterhouse.

1. A genuine mistake, she wasn't displaying any signs [like humans it can happen], lambing is near enough over now and any that arrive are very very latecomers now.

2. She escaped herself into a field where the ones that were going to slaughter were. And she just got bundled in with the others.

A farmer would not be purposely sending a pregnant ewe to slaughter - they are valuble commodities - and with twin lambs, that is a substantial profit.

As far as the slaugherhouse owner is concerned - yes it is their job, but guys, baby lambs??? How cute and innocent are they??

I wonder did he kill the mother?? Cos if he did and didn't kill the lambs - the babies will have to be handreared, if not the kindest thing would have been to kill them too!

Trouble with DEFRA, are their rules and regulations regarding the movement of beasts whether for slaughter or sale. Not that it is a trouble as such - but you have to have liceneces to move any animal from place to place - even the next field if the ownership is transferred.

I really don't know what the rules would be in this case. As the ownership of the lambs is the farmer who the ewe belonged to, yet the lambs were born in another place where there was not a licence in place for them. Tricky one - I hadn't heard this story, and will be interested to see the outcome.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

27-04-2005, 10:32 AM
DEFRA V The Ickle Lambs
I found this link, they are still alive as yet!
M
http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4466450

Intergalactic Space Cat

27-04-2005, 05:25 PM
DEFRA V The Ickle Lambs
Thanks Marmy for the link - I am glad they didn't kill the mother, otherwise the lambs would have been a bit without, and would have to have been hand reared.

Surely DEFRA can make the odd exception??

Being a fourth generation slaughterman - he knows his business, this sort of thing won't happen often and has obviously pulled at his heart strings!

I know I felt the same when my pigs and goats were under serious threat during foot and mouth - I would have moved heaven and earth to save them. the farm but one had foot and mouth and the next door farm were all taken out because of it!!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

27-04-2005, 06:04 PM
DEFRA V The Ickle Lambs
Crikey Flip, it must have been terrible living through that outbreak, I can't imagine the worry! Glad yours were spared.

Happy end to the tale...DEFRA have backed down and the lambs and mum are being isolated and them moved under licence to an approved sanctuary (as yet unnamed).

Nice Smile
M

Intergalactic Space Cat