Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DNA ancestry tracking
15-04-2005, 08:46 AM
DNA ancestry tracking

I've discovered this most excellent project that might interest some of you: http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/ . You can buy a personal DNA kit for about sixty quid, send it off and discover where your first ancestors came from and what routes they took to where you are.

This kind of stuff bores Mrs Dab rigid, but it thrills me to bits. I'm a real ancient ancestry nerd.
Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2005, 09:11 AM
DNA ancestry tracking
I heard about this on BBC Radio 2 the other day whilst decorating....I thought oo that sounds interesting...but I don't think I'll be splashing out 60 quid for the kit....that could buy me a set of fins! :laugh:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2005, 09:38 AM
DNA ancestry tracking
Dab, I'm with you on this one. I'm really interested in human evolution, and would love to know more about my distant genetic past. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
15-04-2005, 09:54 AM
DNA ancestry tracking
Dab, did you see the documentary about this? You can read about it here

One chap was quite a fervent 'black Britain', very 'into' his African roots. He found out his greaty-greath grandad (or something) had actually got rich by selling his own tribe to slavers, and then had a couple of nights in the desert with some of his new-found rellies. The whole experience resulted in the chap coming back quite stunned actually and with a much more positive view of his life in context of now as opposed to what might have been.

Fascinating programme!

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
15-04-2005, 09:58 AM
DNA ancestry tracking
Ooh I remeber that program, it was really interesting.

[Image: 429.gif]
15-04-2005, 10:37 AM
DNA ancestry tracking
Buggier that if I found out that my ancestors where French I would have to top me self

[b][i]Life is not that long [Image: 36_1_12.gif]
[/b][/i]
15-04-2005, 10:42 AM
DNA ancestry tracking
Ooh, I would love to know who my ancestors were, I do know that one of them did get hung from a tree for assisting to steal cattle in the Borders!! :unsure:

I have attempted on several occassion to trace the family tree, my gran had started it off for us and went back as far as the end of the 18th Century. All I had was names though and it was only on my gran's side of the family, it would be interesting to have occupations and discover more about them. I gave up in the end though as it is the sort of thing you have to spend ages on, the DNA kit sounds like an ideal solution, though £60 is a bit steep. Are the results guarnteed, it sounds a bit sceptical to me in some ways? I haven't read about it so maybe I should have done that first, as it might explain how it is done!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
15-04-2005, 10:42 AM
DNA ancestry tracking
I am with Mrs dab on this one! I have no interest at all in tracing my ancestry.
15-04-2005, 10:44 AM
DNA ancestry tracking
Yes, Fee, I remember that programme. I'm like a hoover for stuff like this on the telly. :laugh:
15-04-2005, 10:48 AM
DNA ancestry tracking
Bella, this isn't about recent history at all. It's about really ancient ancestry, hundreds of thousands of years ago, tracing our various routes out of Africa. I believe it'll be very accurate, and even more so as people from around the world add their results to the project, but it definitely won't tell you who your great great great grandparents were. (I'd like to know mine too, but that's a different methodology.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mobile phone tracking. Andrea 5 828 11-05-2007 07:21 AM
Last Post: Dolores