Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DVD burning
04-12-2006, 11:33 PM
DVD burning

I'm trying to burn videos from my comp onto a CD so that they can be played on a home DVD player but whenever I burn them onto the CD my DVD player isn't recognising the disc. What am I doing wrong? Do you need to use a special type of CD (I'm using a CD-R)? Or are some DVD players just not compatible with this type of thing?

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2006, 11:39 PM
DVD burning
You need to buy DVD-RW.

I use the JVC ones from Currys.

Liking the cut of your jib.........[Image: aniburns.gif]
05-12-2006, 02:10 AM
DVD burning
I've burned some Video CDs PJ. When I put them into my DVD player and pressed "Play" nothing happened and I thought it hadn't worked. I found out that I had to press 1 on the number pad because even though there was only 1 episode on the VCD it is actually recorded as Chapter 1.

I didn't buy any special CDs, just used the ones I record music on and it worked OK. Having said that, though, I checked the first one I did and it was perfect but on playback the second and third were out of sync badly, the lips moved and 3 seconds later the speech followed :wallbash: and they went a bit "pixelated" in places. I've no idea why because I did all three in exactly the same way and used Memorex CDs, not cheapy ones.

I used Nero to burn them and each 45 min episode took about 40 minutes to "transcode" and burn.

I originally intended to burn them onto DVD because I could have got 3 episodes on one DVD but after waiting for about 3 hours for them to record, it just ejected the DVD with an error message and the disc was blank :wallbash:

I've just bought a DVD player/recorder and I know that to record off the TV onto that I must have DVD-R because that's what it says in the manual and some recorders have to have DVD+R.

I think the DVD-RW ones are re-writable ones that you can reformat and use again but I'm still learning.

I also found out that my DVD recorder doesn't record on the x16 speed ones which I bought first, it will only record on up to x8 or it says something about getting an upgrade for the "firmware" :shocking:

Isn't technology wonderful? I'm trying to keep up but it's all getting away from me quite rapidly :sad:

If anyone has any other information I'd be glad of some tips too :good:
05-12-2006, 05:04 PM
DVD burning
Just to add to the confusion some DVD discs are DVD-R+ and some are DVD-R- Does anybody know the difference?

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
07-12-2006, 03:38 PM
DVD burning
Rob Wrote:Just to add to the confusion some DVD discs are DVD-R+ and some are DVD-R- Does anybody know the difference?

That's definitely too much information Rob :w00t:

So, (following on from above) I got myself some DVDs which were 8x speed and I had a go at burning a DVD of some episodes I'd downloaded and it all went swimmingly (I thought - mainly because it didn't spit the disc out with an error message).

When I play them back, though, there's no sound :shocking:

Where am I going wrong? Anyone?
07-12-2006, 10:20 PM
DVD burning
Critique Wrote:When I play them back, though, there's no sound :shocking:

Ypu haven't got the volume on mute by any chance :whistling:

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
07-12-2006, 11:29 PM
DVD burning
Rob Wrote:Ypu haven't got the volume on mute by any chance :whistling:

No, Rob, I'm a bit slow but not quite that bad :smartie:

What I did find out was (and OK you can all have a laugh here if it's me being stupid) but when I play a video file the default player is Windows Media Player and that's what I played the DVD back on, on the computer, and where I got no sound.

When I switched it to play on VLC Media Player it was fine, the sound is there. So next step is to play it on the DVD Player - haven't got round to trying it yet, been too busy or Mr. C was watching TV.

So Windows Media Player is OK for playing avi files but no good for DVDs? It's all very confusing and I might have to give up and take up knitting :wallbash:
08-12-2006, 08:38 AM
DVD burning
I have exactly the same Critique, on the download to PC they work perfectly, but once burned onto DVD I lose the sound. Someone told me I need to download a patch from somewhere or other, but that's all I know! :nerd:
Find all posts by this user
08-12-2006, 09:02 AM
DVD burning
I haven't yet gone down the route of DVD burning, but what amazes me is what a mystical art it all seems, and how you have to research the software needed to do it.

You'd think that if your PC comes with the hardware to do a job, it would have the software to do it as well.

My other bugbear - region codes for bought DVDs, we can legally buy region 2 and region 1 DVDs to play on a PC but the operating system only lets you switch regions a maximum of four times, then you're stuffed!

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  DVD burning survivorfan 29 2,349 28-06-2006 10:51 AM
Last Post: Blink
  CD burning. PJ 10 1,170 27-06-2006 10:37 AM
Last Post: Blink