No - definitely not
Not sure
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death Penalty
16-09-2005, 07:07 AM
Death Penalty

Following on from Dol's post about Ian Huntley being attacked, there were a few comments mentioned about the Death Penalty. So the question is would you like it to be returned?

Throughout the years my mind has changed over this, there was a time when I thought yes, hang them, fry them, chop their heads off, whatever, they deserved to die but I don't think the Death Penalty would make a difference.

If the death penalty had been in place people like Angela Cannings, Sally Clarke and many more who have had their convinctions overturned would have been dead.

Also think of the misery that Myra Hindley endured, she was desperate to be set free, desperate to be part of society but she didn't get her wish (thank God), she ended her miserable life in jail and people like Ian Brady, Ian Huntley will do the same.

Think Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma bomber - he was ready to die, he wanted to die, he was happy to have the lethal injection, do you think that served as justice to the families victims?

So my answer is No and will always be no.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2005, 08:19 AM
Death Penalty
It is precisely for the reason that wrong judgements continue to be made that you can't bring back the death penalty. A firm no from me also.
Find all posts by this user
16-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Death Penalty
Just bring back Corporal Punishment, Capital punishment is still a bit iffy, but we are getting to where people will not be able to get away with anything, and verdicts will be 100% correct. Then it should be brought back.

Sentences however, well, what do you say? That lass from Harvey Nicks had no chance, and she would have if the courts had done their duty.

No, just bring back the cane and cat o' nine tails, that should keep a good lot of the bullying, evil cowards from doing it again.

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
16-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Death Penalty
No from me too......but I do think we should have 'life without the possibilty of parole' (LWOP)
16-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Death Penalty
I will go a NO on this as I dont have any faith in this countrys Legal "experts", so unless there was a drastic change in that, my mind wont be swayed at this time!

I think that as a nation, we need to re-look at discipline and punishments - YES we have to be aware of the difference between discipline and abuse! My Mum only ever gave us slapped legs on a couple of occassions - the threat of one was a deterrant enough after that!

We also had a "naughty step"....................that my youngest sister spent most of her childhood on :w00t:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
16-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Death Penalty
I think 'Yes', bring it back. Some people just don't deserve to live.
16-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Death Penalty
Isis Wrote:I will go a NO on this as I dont have any faith in this countrys Legal "experts", so unless there was a drastic change in that, my mind wont be swayed at this time!

I think that as a nation, we need to re-look at discipline and punishments - YES we have to be aware of the difference between discipline and abuse! My Mum only ever gave us slapped legs on a couple of occassions - the threat of one was a deterrant enough after that!

We also had a "naughty step"....................that my youngest sister spent most of her childhood on :w00t:

The legal experts thing is a joke! Ron Meadows got paid a fortune for his damning evidence against Sally Clarke and Angela Cannings - I wonder what evidence he would have given if he was getting paid by the defence instead! These experts should not get paid at all for their evidence - it clearly showed in this case and there are others that it just doesn't ring true, but when you have 12 people on the jury from all walks of life getting hit by science then is it any wonder the wrong peole are getting convicted.

Prison is no bed of roses, despite getting priviledges you don't have freedom. You don't have that freedom of just wandering down the street, having a caffe latte at a cafe deciding what kind of cake to have with it, you can't have a bath, shower, eat when you want, watch the TV when you want. It does take away your rights and quite right too. If you have done wrong then you have to pay the consequences. I agree with Mink that in some cases life should certainly mean life with no chance of parole..........ever!!

A friend of mine's friend recently started dating a guy who is still in prison for a brutal murder of a gay guy abut 15 years ago in Edinburgh. It was quite a shocking murder and it was a delibrate, homophobic attack............have a guess at where she met him.....................A nightclub!! He is allowed out most weekends to get drunk, party, sh*g whoever he meets etc! I found it unbelievable. She didn't know till after a few dates who he was and what he had done and when he is inside he has his brother and his mate keeping an eye on this girl to make sure she doesn't date anyone else! Now, should someone like that ever be allowed out!

If someone had killed a member of my family I honestly don't think that I would get any satisfaction of seeing him/her getting a lethal injection. I would however get a degree of satisfaction that they would be miserable behind bars for the rest of their lives, getting absolutely no freedom at all!

16-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Death Penalty
I stand by what I said on the news thread and I am in favour of the death penalty. The justice system is a joke and certainly needs an overhaul.

Angela Cannings should never have been convicted on the given evidence and yet there are so many getting away with terrible crimes because of loopholes in the law. It must be very frustrating for the police to put in so much work only to see them walk free at the end of it.
16-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Death Penalty
mazwad Wrote:I stand by what I said on the news thread and I am in favour of the death penalty. The justice system is a joke and certainly needs an overhaul.

Angela Cannings should never have been convicted on the given evidence and yet there are so many getting away with terrible crimes because of loopholes in the law. It must be very frustrating for the police to put in so much work only to see them walk free at the end of it.

...........but she was convincted on the given evidence and if the Death Penalty had been in place she would have been executed. As would Sally Clarke, The Guildford Four, and countless others.

I agree there are too many loopholes, too many lawyers making far too much money by pouring over documents to get real criminals off on a technicality!

I would have to have a lot more faith in our justice system before I ever yes now to the Death Penalty.

I can just see it now, there will be some reality TV programme with prisoners on it and you vote off for the ones you don't want to be executed and then the one left gets executed on live TV - now I bet someone has penned that idea already!

16-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Death Penalty
I'm not in favour - mainly for the reason that others have said. It's totally final and there's no going back if a mistake is made. I've never really understood the use of a posthumous pardon.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bank Penalty Charges/ endowment mortgages survivorfan 14 5,776 12-08-2007 08:42 AM
Last Post: Buzz
  Death Penalty Minklemar 27 2,359 09-06-2006 03:23 PM
Last Post: gatubela
  Q: What happens after death? claire 206 8,255 01-04-2005 09:54 AM
Last Post: Cockney
  Our view of death Becks 57 3,785 17-03-2005 09:02 PM
Last Post: Becks
  Body Farm & Death - questions ...? Flip 6 1,249 13-01-2005 04:19 PM
Last Post: Flip