Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Definitions of X factor.
04-10-2005, 12:34 AM
Definitions of X factor.

Hello survivors

I define x factor to mean that someone has something beyond the norm. In actual fact I recognise it as being a gift from the point of birth. Not everybody can be a mathematician or a scientist.

The development or refinement of that gift is evident from those who show talent or the promise of something that is distinctly different.

The fact that it is given at birth does not mean that it develops at the same pace or age within everyone, and neither does it mean that it will develop to the same percentage. Talent and gift are not necessarily one and the same. A talented rocker is not the same as a gifted songwriter or gifted singer. However those who are truly exceptional as composers of songs or beautiful classical works in music, tend to develop when young as children. A blues or rock artist can develop at a much later stage in life.

If an artist or songwriter successfully communicates with an audience it does not mean he or she has the x factor, all this means is that the performance on that day with that given material rendered them likeable.

Communication is an important factor in success, in as much as personality can render an individual likeable. The reason why communication is important is due to the simple fact of supply and demand. If you perform music which is relevant to a certain group in society large enough to impress you will be successful. Johnny Rotten of the sex pistols on Sunday gave the following as reasons for there success.

We were relevant to our times, we were not anarchists in truest sense but we did have a voice to raise, a message to pass on about our sense of futility the lack of a future, our united front on the subject of hopelessness. Our lack of power and political acclaim in a world governed by Economists and Capitalists.I have no understanding of talent but I can recognise it in others.

What say you?

Is this food for thought or great subject matter for a book?

Maureen
Northern angel. :book:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Definitions of X factor.
Wonderful comments.

Something similar has been brewing in my little brain for a while, specifically about the Brontes for some unknown reason. I'll expand when I don't have the snoozies, which I do now. But agree completely with what you say NA.
07-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Definitions of X factor.
sayangmouse Wrote:Wonderful comments.

Something similar has been brewing in my little brain for a while, specifically about the Brontes for some unknown reason. I'll expand when I don't have the snoozies, which I do now. But agree completely with what you say NA.

Hello Sayangmouse

Cool Little brains store the most amazing amounts of information, concentration and quality.

I don't always listen to the great composers of our time, or sing there music.
I'm a believer that variety is the spice of life. I like pop music albeit most of it dated,but it must be singable for when I hit the town and the karaoke bar.

I had one of the most funny and entertaining nights recently, when a young man closely resembling a rather dressed up cheesy mark (former pop idols contestant) got up to voice a punk version of My way. Sorry but he threw himself around on the floor still voicing his version and I was in stitches. Later on the same evening both of us took to the stage to sing Joe Cockers Unchain my Heart. I'd like to record this wild version but the company I am dealing with forbid it. Brrr..Humbug. Huh :angry: :cry:

My singing protege is also not amused when I tell hime how I let my hair down. But I have to say it having fun has not affected my classical singing at all. Just the expanding waistline.

Maureen
Northern Angel
:devil: Painting the town red tonight.
08-10-2005, 12:05 AM
Definitions of X factor.
Hi Maureen, ok...the Brontes

What I am confused about is where genius comes from. It seems, in the past, that a lot of genius comes from depridation in some way. The reason I think about the Bronte's is that you have a family, essentially isolated, and a number of children fed with two things (1) Reading and writing skills, ability to analyse, challenge, basic educational stuff (2) Isolation: Medium for imagination to take control.

Key being (2). In a McDonalds, instant feed society, we are not challenged. The imagination is strangled by instant gratification. We no longer read novels and imagine ourselves to be the princess of a fabled land, we watch Big Brother instead. And then go to bed angry, irritated, or whatever at Craig's or Anthony's actions or behaviours.

Its imagination. It doesn't have the time and tedium to explode. The grossly underrated movie Neverending Story sums it up to a tee (written by Michael Ende, a German philospher). We are taught now to subjugate our imaginations to the harsh realities of a modern day life, we have to keep our feet on the ground (if you know the movie, you know what that means). In doing that, by drilling rote conformity into the young, do we kill the seed of genius? (and the ability to FEEL, to be really happy? ).

But this is where I struggle. Do we introduce depridation and challenge on the young to bring out the inherent potential of genius, or is there a better way? But its just challenge isn't it? Are we just not challenged enough?

Then I start to think about our history and educational framework, based on cartesian (logical) though, and how this differs from many other philosophies (based more on belief). Then wonder if our development to date is thanks to the cartesian thinking, but whether its time is done, and we need to revert to a more belief based system (BTW I am not religious at all). re: the muslim/christian divide.

Ahh, deep topics indeed, but just a taster of what goes in in my troubled brain!
09-10-2005, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2005 08:44 PM by Northern angel.)
Definitions of X factor.
sayangmouse Wrote:Hi Maureen, ok...the Brontes

What I am confused about is where genius comes from. It seems, in the past, that a lot of genius comes from depridation in some way. The reason I think about the Bronte's is that you have a family, essentially isolated, and a number of children fed with two things (1) Reading and writing skills, ability to analyse, challenge, basic educational stuff (2) Isolation: Medium for imagination to take control.

Key being (2). In a McDonalds, instant feed society, we are not challenged. The imagination is strangled by instant gratification. We no longer read novels and imagine ourselves to be the princess of a fabled land, we watch Big Brother instead. And then go to bed angry, irritated, or whatever at Craig's or Anthony's actions or behaviours.

Its imagination. It doesn't have the time and tedium to explode. The grossly underrated movie Neverending Story sums it up to a tee (written by Michael Ende, a German philospher). We are taught now to subjugate our imaginations to the harsh realities of a modern day life, we have to keep our feet on the ground (if you know the movie, you know what that means). In doing that, by drilling rote conformity into the young, do we kill the seed of genius? (and the ability to FEEL, to be really happy? ).

But this is where I struggle. Do we introduce depridation and challenge on the young to bring out the inherent potential of genius, or is there a better way? But its just challenge isn't it? Are we just not challenged enough?

Then I start to think about our history and educational framework, based on cartesian (logical) though, and how this differs from many other philosophies (based more on belief). Then wonder if our development to date is thanks to the cartesian thinking, but whether its time is done, and we need to revert to a more belief based system (BTW I am not religious at all). re: the muslim/christian divide.

Ahh, deep topics indeed, but just a taster of what goes in in my troubled brain!

Sayangmouse, you have just written an excellent reply questioning the origin of gift/talent.You certainly haven't got a little brain.

I know it really sounds like old hat, especially now since we are in the technological age. But the unborn child hears and senses all sorts whilst in the womb. There is therefore scientific and medicinal research to prove the theory that birthrite is influential in the development of gift or a predisposition towards a talent.

Afterbirth the process of growing up begins followed by hormonal development and hence the usual educational processes to provide the essential keys to learning presumably so that you can earn your way in the world as an adult.At this juncture a gifted individual may or may not develop along the prediscribed normal routes. Sometimes, the gifted can deliberately appear to be dunces, refusing to comply both physically and psychologically.
The resultant action from adults follows that depravation can bring disciplin and further alienation, the personal psych is thus impounded to be negative or positive/ inhibitive or exhibitive.

Depending on how inhibitive or negative individual thoughts and behaviour becomes the more depressive the cycle of crushing human spirit. Orwells 1984 is a prime example of how talent and beauty is channelled out of life.
Talented and gifted people can suffer from incredible spells of depression and self inflicted mental trauma.

The world at large however is not conducive to the development of talent, you are channelled into the world of work, as a result we do subjugate our imaginations to prohibit development of a higher strata in favour of that which can be more mundane.At this point intelligence quotient is judged according to the speed at which we remember facts and proceedures as opposed to how we use them or what we select to use.

I would not feel justified in seeing depravation introduced to youngsters as a way to bring about challenges artistic or otherwise. But I do think we need compassion, tolerance and to recognise that even the apparently dull or ignorant have something to offer the world so that they can become achievers.

If I thought there was space allowed, I'd tap up. Disiderata, and encourage all to read and attempt to digest its meaning and I too am not all that religious but this piece of religious philosopy teaches grace tolerace and forebearing.

Maureen
Northern angel