Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Des Quits Countdown
30-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Des Quits Countdown

Des Lynam has revelead he is quitting Countdown at Christmas time. So who do you think will be the next host?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5394396.stm
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Des Quits Countdown
Hopefully someone with more expression. Des sounds like he has no emotions at all.
01-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Des Quits Countdown
littlemissbig Wrote:Hopefully someone with more expression. Des sounds like he has no emotions at all.

Hard to get emotional about nine letters though - even when an exciting consonant turns up.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
01-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Des Quits Countdown
Richard Whitely made it reasonably interesting to watch, without him the thing is rather pointless.
01-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Des Quits Countdown
I think you're right. It was the sheer homespun tackiness of the show that gave it its appeal. A bit like Supermarket Sweep and Dale Winton, which apparently is supposed to be coming back.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
01-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Des Quits Countdown
Really? :applause:

:cry: I'm going to have to go on maternity leave again.
01-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Des Quits Countdown
Patsy Wrote:Really? :applause:

:cry: I'm going to have to go on maternity leave again.

Bit drastic isn't it?

Wouldn't Sky+ be cheaper?

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Des Quits Countdown
Smile Never thought of that. Cheers Robster. Mr P will be so relieved.
01-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Des Quits Countdown
I've never really thought of Countdown as "tacky" but yes, very homespun. Really Carol Vauderman is only there for the bit of banter (and some would say the glamour?) because picking out letters and sticking them on a board is very low tech and could be done electronically.

I suppose the success of the show is because it is so basic. Who else likes watching Carol's hand hovering over the consonants because she thinks that's what they'll pick next and then has a smirk when they choose another vowel (probably just me Blush)

Des has never looked comfortable with it has he? Richard Whitely used to bumble his way through and that was part of its charm. Des just looks and sounds nervous all the time.

Who do you think would make a good substitute?

Supermaket Sweep - now that did seem tacky and I won't be watching that. (when is it coming back and what time is it on?)
02-10-2006, 12:26 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2006 12:30 AM by Northern angel.)
Des Quits Countdown
Des left Countdown apparently because the travelling was just to much and on top of that had the TV moved the filming of the programme to London lots of TV jobs were going to be lost in Leeds.

In truth though I think the programme has never had high viewing figures and since Richard Whatelys passing the programme has lost some of its attraction.

Carol Vorderman will always find another TV job to do, she is pleasant and to be blunt could do with something to stretch her abilities.

Countdown reminds me of the sort of game you could play after christmas dinner in front the TV and the fire, nothing to keep you awake and on your toes.

MAUREEN
NORTHERN ANGEL.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh: