Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Designer children
17-08-2005, 06:39 AM
Designer children

Do you think people should be allowed to choose the sex of their baby?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Designer children
I don't think so, but I am not sure?

Personally I am/was happy with whatever I got. And I can't see the point in chossing the sex of a baby, there is IMO no valid reason why a couple could choose the sex. I can see there are other reasons for chossing a baby with/out certain hereditary characteristics - but as for sex - no I don't think so.

So I think on the whole - No I don't think people should be allowed to. Unless I haven't thought of a reason why a girl over a boy or vice versa - would be beneficial?

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

17-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Designer children
Absolutley not! To have a child is something precious and lasts for your whole lifetime, and to choose the sex of that child is going against nature, it is also treating that little human being as nothing more than an accessory if you will only have it on the condition of what sex it will be!

My sis has 3 girls - they would have loved to have a boy, but it wanst to be, my mate has 3 boys and she would have loved to have a girl - but it doesnt mean that they love any of their children less, they are thankful for what they have and count their blessings, there are many less fortunate couples out there that have little chance of being parents at all!!!

They will be wanting to choose the hair, eye and skin tone next FFS!!!!!!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
Find all posts by this user
17-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Designer children
I agree with Flip and Isis that unless there is a medical reason that a couple shouldn't have a child of a certain sex then you shouldn't be able to chose the sex of your children.
17-08-2005, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2005 11:48 AM by survivorfan.)
Designer children
I think that being allowed to choose the sex of your child would have some good and some bad points, such as:

Good: it could avoid unwanted children, as happens when people 'try' for a boy or a girl and end up with a child of the other sex. As a spin off plus point, it would (I think) keep the birth rate down (a good thing unless it actually resulted in a decreasing population).

Bad: it might lead to an unnatural balance of one sex over another leading to ... who knows what?

ILS- hope I am not 'thinking' too much here?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
17-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Designer children
[QUOTE=survivorfan]I think that being allowed to choose the sex of your child would have some good and some bad points, such as:

Good: it could avoid unwanted children, as happens when people 'try' for a boy or a girl and end up with a child of the other sex. As a spin off plus point, it would (I think) keep the birth rate down (a good thing unless it actually resulted in a decreasing population).

Bad: it might lead to an unnatural balance of one sex over another leading to ... who knows what?

Those are the 2 arguments I came up with too, SF.

Some people seem desperate to have at least one of each. A couple in the paper this morning had 4 boys and went to Spain where it is possible to choose the sex of your child and they had twin girls.

But what about having a baby to save the life of an existing child? If I were a parent in the position of knowing the life of my child could possibly be saved by having another baby, then I'm sure I would choose to have that baby. I can't really understand any parent who wouldn't.
17-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Designer children
Is this thread prompted by some change in the law - have to admit I'm not in touch at the moment.

Just wanted to mention the difference between choosing your child's sex in principle, and in practice. In principle there are arguments pro and con, but how easy/difficult would it be to actually do it - would it be open to everyone or just special cases, would the cost put it beyond the pocket of most people, etc?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
17-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Designer children
I don't know if there's going to be a change in the law, SF, but it is something that's been in the news lately.

I'm not sure about who it should/would be open to, but I suppose if it was for medical reasons, then it should be the tax payer who foots the bill whereas if it's purely personal choice then maybe the individuals should have to pay.

I imagine there are illnesses/conditions that are more prevailant in one or other of the sexes so medical reasons could be a reason.
17-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Designer children
I am in favour of it for medical reasons. As well as conditions that are passed on to a particular sex there are also some women that can't carry certain sex babies to full term.

I have some reservations that it might get out of hand as when IVF first came about it wasn't for women that are far too old to have children naturally, but it seems if you have the money to fund it anything goes.
18-08-2005, 12:09 AM
Designer children
maxine Wrote:Do you think people should be allowed to choose the sex of their baby?

No. Period.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Children & "optional" surgery Seabreeze 3 866 12-10-2007 10:07 AM
Last Post: Tigereye
  How many children should the state support? Northern angel 9 1,216 17-03-2006 09:55 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Women & Children First.......or should it? Bella 10 1,629 07-09-2005 07:03 AM
Last Post: JakeyBoy
  Fat Children = child abuse? isleofweather 19 2,294 20-08-2005 05:12 PM
Last Post: karenh