Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did you ever do something that could have seriously hurt you?
11-09-2005, 04:46 PM

Well today I nearly had a hairy fit. I was loading up the dishwasher and noticed there was only 1 or 2 tablets left and then I saw the dishwasher granules and thought for a moment "why did I buy both tablets and granules for the dishwashe?" I looked at the box and they were dissolved tablets for the toilet and I dont know how many I have put in the dishwasher but a few!!! To think what my plates etc have been washed in and what traces could have been left behind for me to ingest!!! I really dont know how that happened - not blaming anyone else but a few people have stayed in my flat over the summer and rearranged lots of things so my sense of norm is a bit skewed. Anyway, I am here to tell the tale.

Any scary moments?

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Well, see my holiday thread - taking grandson on holiday can seriously damage your health and should carry a Government Health Warning.

I wouldn't worry too much about the toilet cleaner/dishwasher tabs because at least they do get a really good rinse in the dishwasher. I worry about the dishwasher tablets really because it says not to touch them! What does that say about what they put in them? If they're likely to cause a skin reaction they must be pretty sure that all the chemicals are rinsed off before they reach your insides.

While we were away my grandson put some toast in the toaster but it was a small toaster and big slices of bread so they didn't go down. I was horrified when he proceeded to get a fork out of the drawer and prod them down!!! It's one of those things that you don't think to tell kids about until it's too late. He really had no idea how dangerous it was.
11-09-2005, 09:39 PM
I came home from my dance class last week and began filling the bath with hot water whilst I washed my face at the sink. I turned the hot tap off and went back to the sink to clean my teeth before adding cold water. I finished at the sink, stepped backwards and promptly tripped over my slippers that I had stupidly kicked off behind me.

I knew I was going to fall and knew that I couldn't stop myself but I also knew that I was going to land in a bath full of very very hot water as I hadn't yet added the cold. Luckily I was able to somehow throw myself sideways hitting the wall just beyond the bath with my left shoulder and bashing my hip on the edge of the bath as I went down. I slid the length of the wall and landed in an ungainly and shaking heap on the floor.

I was badly bruised but otherwise escaped unhurt, but it's taught me a lesson and I'll never run only the hot tap every again. I dread to think what state I would have been in had I landed in that hot water.
11-09-2005, 10:07 PM
When I want to get something out of the fridge I am often too lazy to go in front of it (it involves crouching down in a cramped space) so i tend to open it from the left and lean into it, and yes I have fallen right over and banged my face on the wall trying to reach something on the bottom shelf :blink:

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2005, 06:37 AM
Bob Wrote:When I want to get something out of the fridge I am often too lazy to go in front of it (it involves crouching down in a cramped space) so i tend to open it from the left and lean into it, and yes I have fallen right over and banged my face on the wall trying to reach something on the bottom shelf :blink:

sorry Bob ... but I'm laughing! ...and I'm guessing it was something you shouldn't have been eating too!!!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
12-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Hubby was usng a chain saw to cut some logs, I was feeding the full lengths down the trellis to him. You know how it is, you just get into a rythm and do it. Well, I must have gone off on a blank, and next thing I knew was a ripping sound, hubby dropping the saw, and me clutching my hands to my chest. We both knew the blade had touched me, and when I eventually opened my hands, the gloves I had been wearing were totally shredded, but there was not a mark on my hands. I was one lucky lady that day! :blink:

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
12-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Dear God! What a scary thread!! To all - I have been gobsmacked with horror - and Bob sorry I laughed!! But I am sure you would have hurt yourself - so I shouldn't - its the way you tell 'em!!

I perhaps am tempting fate here - but I have one of those hand blenders that I use solely for whizzing either soup or yorkshire pud mix.

The plug that it is plugged into is near the sink and therefore when I stop using it to whizz up whatever - I plunge it into a hot sink with bubbles in, and play making even bigger bubbles.

Everytime I do this I tell myself - it is plugged in, it is like a mantra, and then I get the sponge or dishcloth and clean the blades. Obviously because of tis nature I have my other hand on the long bit that contains the 'on' button.

I have had the same gadget for nearly 18 years and have escaped serious injury!!
It is only a matter of time!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

12-09-2005, 05:54 PM
When I was about 14, a friend got hold of a 1920's book of DANGEROUS PARLOUR TRICKS.

The one we tried and perfected was HAMMERING A PIN INTO YOUR LEG RIGHT UP TO THE BIT AT THE END.

The one we never tried was PLUNGE YOUR HAND AND ARM INTO A PAN OF MOLTEN LEAD*.

*Acquire much lead and a large vessel, melt the lead in the vessel on your stove, roll up your sleeve, scrub your arm and hand with powerful detergent, dry it thoroughly and plunge your arm into the molten lead. It will not burn you.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
12-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Does dying twice count?

I remember on a school trip to Switzerland taking a huge swig of what i thought was vodka, only to discover that nail varnish remover doesn't taste too good.Blush
12-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Dolores Wrote:sorry Bob ... but I'm laughing! ...and I'm guessing it was something you shouldn't have been eating too!!!

Yes it was, chocolate when I want it I have to have it and NOW!
Flip I was hurt, cut lip and massive bruise right across my thighs from hanging off the door, but not being able to move cos the wall was in the way with my face stuck to it. Good job I'm quite supple and as able to get out of it.

Voice- the number of times I have slipped getting out of the bath. Bathrooms are dangerous places. My fear is being scalded again after seriously burning myself a few years ago. I was making a cup of tea (my kettle is right in front of the kitchen window) and just as I had finished pouring the boiling water into the cup (which was too close to the edge) a pigeon flew into window and the boiling water went straight over me. It took over a year for the scars to fade. Good thing about older skin it doesn't suffer as young skin would.
I even have a picture of this somewhere. Anyway, I never ever make drinks close to the edge anymore.

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Are you ever verbally hurt ? Bonsai 71 4,308 28-11-2006 09:09 AM
Last Post: Bonsai