Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dishonour in the Sikh temple
21-12-2004, 12:13 AM

Freedom of speech, in the arts, in everyday life, in England?

Is it truly dead with this latest violent protest over the play 'Dishonour' ?

Are we backing down to minority religions or just playing fair?

M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Marmoset Wrote:Freedom of speech, in the arts, in everyday life, in England?

M

I don't think the issue is 'minority' religions. Afterall Shieks represent a fairly large proportion of our population.

The question is whether we really do regard a scripted piece as freedom of speech. Is it a statement. IMPO the play could have been set in somewhere less contentious than a shiek temple. I think the question is were the play about a child molesting/abusing Catholic priest and it was set within the church would it have drawn the same reaction. The Temple represents far more to the Shiek community than the church does to many Christians. To them it IS deemed sacraligious and therefore an offence. The author WOULD have known this. The shieks were not asking for the script to be changed or the plot/story.....just the location. Conceeding to that is not accepting censorship. It is responding to peoples sensitivities as a whole.

I do feel however that many aspects of our freedom of speech have been deminished due to over zealous P.C.ishness and that there is the begininngs of a ground-swell of disatisfaction in the way we are being nannyed.

Part of the trouble is tho' that many PC people cannot accept others views as openly as they should and they therefore protest against the beliefs they oppose thereby generating a more violet react. I'm not condoning some of the extremist groups out there but I just think that bodies who react violently such as the animal rights activists cannot then protest against others who use similar means to get their message across (I'm thinking of some of the extreme right groups) Physical damage and intimidation are abhorant means of political argument whoever does it.
Find all posts by this user
21-12-2004, 07:13 PM
Marmoset Wrote:Freedom of speech, in the arts, in everyday life, in England?

M
Not just minority religions - when the new "incitement to racial hatred" law comes in it'll be nigh on impossible to comment on, poke fun at or criticise any religion.

I've no idea what this play was like, and whether the religious aspect of it was justified or necessary. That it was stopped due to mob violence seems very unhealthy to me.

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
22-12-2004, 10:17 AM
mikado Wrote:Not just minority religions - when the new "incitement to racial hatred" law comes in it'll be nigh on impossible to comment on, poke fun at or criticise any religion.

So does that mean I cant call my family (R.C) a bunch of narrow minded hypocritical biggots when this law comes in?????

I think that this whole thing is a fiasco.........its time to realise that in life **** happens, therefore, things will be written about in plays and movies - its not as if there was an actual slur against the Sikhs is it? Or have I missed it as usual?!

I have watched many a movie where rape and murder have been committed in Churches......and I recall back in the 70's a woman was raped in the Church we went to, while waiting to go to confession - its not the Church or religion that is to blame, its the sick and twisted b*****d that committed the rape and murder - or in the case of the play, sexual abuse....

hmmmmm, come to think of it, the Church I attended as a child also had a priest that sexually abused some friends of mine (brothers and sisters in the same family - too scared to tell anyone as a Priest is next to God in a Catholics eyes!)......

The way the world is going we will soon be afraid (in some cases this is already so) to speak our minds - I recall BB this year - where it was considered ok for Ahcmed to say he was homophobic to Marco, yet can you imagine the uproar if an "anglo saxon" actually admitted he/she was racist....Im not saying that racism is right - but there must be some people who are racist, just as there are those who are homophobic and sexist - but the majority of us arent that narrow minded and bigotted..............thank the gods!!!!!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
22-12-2004, 10:35 AM
Hi Queeenie. Stupid me, the new law's the "incitement to religious hatred" one. We've already got an "incitement to racial hatred law".
Queeenie Wrote:So does that mean I cant call my family (R.C) a bunch of narrow minded hypocritical biggots when this law comes in?????
Ummm I think you can still call your family a bunch of narrow minded hypocritical bigots if you want to (better check with Blink the laws of slander and libel though! Wink ) However under the new law you mightn't be able to say that the Roman Catholic religion is narrow minded, hypocritical or bigoted though Big Grin

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
22-12-2004, 01:41 PM
mikado Wrote:However under the new law you mightn't be able to say that the Roman Catholic religion is narrow minded, hypocritical or bigoted though Big Grin

Typical nanny state dictating WHAT I can think then isnt it!!!! Makes me wonder what my grandparents fought for in WWII.......so much for us being a Democracy and Freedom of Speech and Thought hey!

and then there is the hypocricy and double standards of the UK's present Government - its ok to topple a Dictator like Saddam, and here they are dictating to us what we can think and what our opinions are..............makes me soooooo angry!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
22-12-2004, 02:06 PM
I might have completely got the wrong end of the stick here. But if there are laws out there concerning racism, this ism and that ism, why should there not be laws that protect religions?

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
22-12-2004, 02:52 PM
Hmmmm good point Tiggs, but my honest opinion on that is the Law is an A$$!!!!! Sorry Blink - no offence meant me darlin!!!!

But soon there will be a law about farting in public if we aint careful!!!!!

Society on the whole, doesnt take a blind bit of the Laws that have been in place for hundreds of years, so I dont see how this will change things - if you have an out and out racist b*****d, just because the law says its illegal aint gonna change his or her opinion is it!?

22-12-2004, 03:36 PM
And I agree wholeheartedly. That's the problem, there are so many laws telling people what they can and can't think and on the surface it sounds brilliant and seems to work, whereas if you dig down deep enough there is enough surpressed rage to blow up the whole world. These kind of laws will never change the way people think or feel, maybe just stop some acting out.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."