Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dispersal Orders
18-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Dispersal Orders

What are your views on dispersal orders? Where groups of more than 3 in town centres can be made to split up by security guards or police?

Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

If I'm out shopping with my 2 children, we're very unlikey to asked to separate. But if they're out with more than 2 friends they will be and have been.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Dispersal Orders
Doea that make the Salvation Army band illegal then? :w00t:

Seriously, though, I think it's an awful thing and a total infringement of civil liberties. Pah.

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
18-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Dispersal Orders
SOunds awful, but presumably it's done to prevent groups of teenagers gathering and causing trouble? Not that all groups of teenagers would want to cause trouble! but there are places where they do aren't there, and this is a way of nipping it in the bud. Shame that it has to apply to everyone though, but Max I can't see the police dipersing you and your family! (mind you if Dol was with you they might)

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
18-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Dispersal Orders
Personally I think two or more threads of exactly the same subject should be dispersed. Three and the culprits should be shot.
18-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Dispersal Orders
I can see what they're trying to do with this, but if my kids were out with a friend and got separated and either one didn't have a mobile phone on them, I and they would be very worried.
18-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Dispersal Orders
Patsy Wrote:I can see what they're trying to do with this, but if my kids were out with a friend and got separated and either one didn't have a mobile phone on them, I and they would be very worried.

Surely they'd do what any self respecting yoof would do...Nick one!
18-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Dispersal Orders
I think this is dreadful and I agree with Patsy about the safety of youngsters made to split from their pals and wander around alone.

There's also the fact that it seems to assume that young people are to be mistrusted, whether guilty of wrongdoing or not.

But - a group of young people swanning around together can be intimidating to some people, so I can see why this dispersement thing might seem like a good idea to some.

But I'm not sure this dispersement thing will do anything other than make young people feel resentful. A better approach would be to actually give the young people something to do. Most councils used to sponsor youth clubs - where have they gone? And when I was a kid there were loads activity specific clubs, some of which used to be sponsored by the local council (e.g. drama clubs, table tennis clubs etc) - do they still exist? St John Ambulance used to have youth groups - do they still do that?

A lot is made about the fact that kids don't have anything to do these days other than roam the streets looking for their own entertainment. Is that because there really isn't anything for them to do anymore (that doesn't cost a fortune) or is it because the parents aren't finding anything for them to do?
19-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Dispersal Orders
Do they really make 3 kids alone disperse ????? I would be furious if i were there mother. Anything could happen to them.

I can understand it if its a large group. I hate walking towards / through large groups of kids as they intimidate me. But, thats a problem with me i guess, not with them.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
19-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Dispersal Orders
I hate walking through groups of 'yoof' also, but I'm not sure I like the dispersal idea either, as I do have a teenage daughter, and would be very worried.

I just wonder if giving too much attention to the bad behaviour isn't glorifying it in some way, as with the ASBOs.

I was a 'yoof' that thought it was big to hang around in gangs etc and look menacing, although I would never have hurt anyone or anything. But the more people reacted the more kicks I got out of it. And that's what I think is happening now with the youngsters. It's real big to be noticed as being hard and trouble causing, and the more attention they get over it, the worse it will get.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
19-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Dispersal Orders
It's because

a) it's expected of them so they do it
b) they have no stimulation or imagination from their parent(s)
c) schools don't run extra curricular stuff because it costs too much
d) insurances and regulations stand in the way of many clubs doing anything interesting
e) computer games are what you do to get stimulation 'innit'
f) schools gear everthing around proceeding as a group rather than as an individual so your odd if you go and do something alone
g) leisure centres don't subsidise for adequately yoofs (when I was a kid Camden allowed us to use the pools and sports grounds for free between 3:30 and 5:00 - so we'd go swimming most afternoons)

St John (there is no 's') does exist and all my kids went through the youth membership. The eldest enjoyed it as she got to go to cool events. She was even instrumental in saving the lives of a couple of people along the way. But it's usually run by odd old people. It needs a bit of a revamp in terms of uniform, teachings (it is a Christian based group) and rituals.

There's still the Venture Scouts, Boys Brigade etc... but again, all a bit out dated for the modern chav.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dispersal Orders maxine 1 425 18-12-2006 07:36 AM
Last Post: maxine