Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disposable Nappies
19-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Disposable Nappies

It appears that disposable nappies are no more harmful to the environment than real nappies according to a study by The Environment Agency.....

Story here
Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Disposable Nappies
I heard this on the radio too. HUrrahh for pampers, and huggies and all other assorted disposable nappy suppliers.

Not that it bothers me now my baby is 7, but well, there you go........we were not such bad mothers after all!!

Now I just need someone to research that bottle feeding is as good as breast feeding and I shall consider myself PERFECT!! :bag:
Find all posts by this user
19-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Disposable Nappies
I have an objection! I remember that ten years ago a study showed that washing reusable nappies had just about the same effect on the environment as disposables. So why are we footing the bill for yet another study to come up with exactly the same conclusion?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
19-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Disposable Nappies
it's a relief for me, because I nought heaps of washabler nappies - and never used them :sad: I tried, but they were so big and poor mini G just looked uncomfortable and drowned, so I stuck with pampers. Of course, because I'm a terrible mother, I have now sitched to buying the cheapo version at Lidl Big Grin

Gel x
19-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Disposable Nappies
Well I used terry nappies for my first two and disposables for the last one. I have always thought that real nappies were just as bad for the environment as the disposable ones, all the energy, water and detergent you have to use to get them clean plus in the winter, the energy you have to use to dry them!

Perhaps this will now get the 'real nappy' brigade of the back of mothers who use disposable nappies!

Just as it wrong to try to make mothers feel guilty for bottle feeding it is wrong to try to make mothers feel guilty for choosing to use disposables!
19-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Disposable Nappies
who commissioned the report? Pampas?!

Personally I used terries cos they were cheaper, but even then people kept saying in the long run it's not, you have to buy the nappies, the rubber pants, the pins, the nappy liners etc etc so in the long run it's not cheaper, etc etc but it is, it is, it is!

I also believe despite the survey's findings that terries are more ozone-friendly than the silicone filled, sh*t filled ones that bob up and down in the Solent and rot on rubbish dumps forever and ever!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Disposable Nappies
It was The Environment Agency, Dol.

Apparently it was the most independent and thorough study carried out in the UK according to the article!
19-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Disposable Nappies
Well, the results of this survey should ease the conscience of the disposable nappy mothers if they ever felt bad about using them. Now they know they never did anything "wrong".

But, I still think the mothers that went to the effort to use the Terry nappies should be applauded. Because when it comes down to it, they made a genuine effort to try and do their bit for the environment based on the advice they had been given! The fact that the effort would now seem to be wasted is irrelevant. The fact is, they tried!

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
19-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Disposable Nappies
ilovesurvivor Wrote:It was The Environment Agency, Dol.

Apparently it was the most independent and thorough study carried out in the UK according to the article!

some people need to get a hobby don't they! :laugh:

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
19-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Disposable Nappies
karenh Wrote:But, I still think the mothers that went to the effort to use the Terry nappies should be applauded. Because when it comes down to it, they made a genuine effort to try and do their bit for the environment based on the advice they had been given!

Karen, stop talking bollox!

A baby in a modern (disposable) nappy will last 4 times longer (at least) than a baby in a terry nappy!

The polymers in a pampers nappy can absorb 10 times their weight in urine or other bodily fluids.

A terry nappy can absorb one times!

"Earth mothers" have been kidding themselves for years! :ohmy:

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"