Poll: Did Tony Blair make his decision in GOOD FAITH?
This poll is closed.
Yes, the evidence proves he did 45.45% 5 45.45%
No, I believe he lied to us, and had an agenda 27.27% 3 27.27%
I am still unsure 27.27% 3 27.27%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Believe Tony Blair acted in good faith?
03-05-2005, 09:04 AM

Like most of us I have been avidly watching all the interviews, reports on the election, but one story is still taking centre stage - IRAQ.

I have listened to Tony Blair's justification for going to war, and frankly, I believe him, and I think he made the right decision.

This poll isn't "Was Tony Blair going to war justified?", but the question of whether or not he made his decision for the benefit of our country, or for one of the frankly absurd other supposed reasons given for why we went to war.

I saw him on Ask Tony Blair last night, and the evidence suggests he is telling the truth.

There have been 4 seperate, independant enquiries into this, and each one has found in favour of Blair.

As far as I can see Tony Blair was given intelligence that showed that Saddam Hussain posed a threat to his region, and a potential threat to the United Kingdon.

He was then faced with a decision, he tried his best to get a second UN resolution, but because of France's financial ties with Iraq, he couldn't get it, so was left with no alternative.

He gave Saddam chance after chance to comply with the UN, but Saddam never did.

I believe Tony Blair had no other alternative, and exhausted all avenues, and was left simply with no choice. Could he seriously let a man who has already caused problems with Kuwait and Iran, continue in his project to arm Iraq with WMDs? (ok we haven't found any, but we've found proof that he wanted to, and he would have done, if we hadn't stepped in).

People talk about the intelligence that Tony Blair was given, and how he "sexed" them up. That is simply media rubbish, he didn't. The media mixed up different bits of intelligence.

There was an intelligence report that classed itself as speradic and patchy, the media goes and reports that Tony Blair claimed that it wasn't. The problem is that Mr Blair was talking about a completely seperate piece of intelligence.

With all this in mind, I think we should feel proud of our Prime Minister.

He tried his best to tame Saddam Hussain through the diplomatic process, giving him ultimatum and ultimatum to comply with the UN. Saddam continued to defy us, because he had evil plans.

In the end Tony Blair decided and made a very difficult and unpopular view, for which he has suffered, and knew that he was going to suffer for the protection of our country.

WE SHOULD BE PROUD!

Signatures are boring
Find all posts by this user
03-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Was Tony lying? Yes probably.

Did he make the right decision? I believe so.

Should all the information have been made public? Absolutely not

I think there is a whole load of sensitive information that will never come to light over the true reason(s) for the Iraq war, and nor should they, in my opinion. I firmly believe that in situations like this the public should not be informed of every last detail of international security. Sensitive information is exactly that, and should be kept between the people with the knowledge and power to make the necessary decisions based on it. The government is elected to make decisions on our behalf and of course they are party to privileged information. No government can release high security information to the general public without releasing it to the rest of the world and thereby showing their hand.

This may seem duplicitous, but it's the nature of government. They are there to protect the general public, not inform them. Otherwise we'd be in a situation where the public were asked to vote on every small detail of policy on a weekly basis - this is clearly unworkable and subject to media slant and/or corruption.

I believe the government acted in the public interest, and that if Tony had been on some personal crusade, the rest of the cabinet would have exposed him long ago. Obviously as PM he is the front man and face of any UK policy, but I don't believe any decision is his alone, nor should he be held personally responsible.

Also I don't believe the situation in Iraq is about the UK at all - it was about the global community and the global economy. Yes it may well have been about oil, but then if a worldwide resource is being held to ransom, action must be taken to resolve the situation for the greater good.

Bollox to potplants
03-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Okay Hugh. This poll isn't about the war, you said, so I'll respond to your poll rather than your comments. (Politicians suffering. Please. That, frankly, is absurd.)

Are popes catholic? Yes.
Do bears sh*t in the woods? Yes.
Do politicians tell lies? Yes.
03-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Well done dab, except you haven't answered the question.

I didn't ask if politicians lie, ever.

I asked, "Do you think Tony Blair acted in good faith, when he began military action in Iraq".

You obviously don't have anything to add to this conversation, except mindless drivel. This is supposed to be a discussion about whether or not Tony Blair acted in good faith, based upon the intelligence he had at the time.

Why don't you read up on the Butler Report or something, so that you can join in the conversation and have something of interest to add.

Signatures are boring
03-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Hugh, it appears that you may be mistaking me for someone who cares enough about your opinions to discuss them with you.
03-05-2005, 02:21 PM
So why are you posting then?

Or are you hellbent on ruining a good discussion thread? :wacko:

Signatures are boring
03-05-2005, 02:23 PM
I'll stop, then. I wouldn't want to ruin your good discussion thread.
03-05-2005, 02:28 PM
If this is a discussion thread, shouldn't it be in the SO Corner/Soapbox forum?
03-05-2005, 02:36 PM
I believe Tony Blair was honest and is an honest man. I don't believe there are many people in this world that can say they have never lied in their lifetimes. Tony Blair is likely to have lied some time in his life, but I don't believe he was lying about this. I also think it would be incorrect to say that becoming a politician makes you more of a liar.

I don't like the fact that there was a war in Iraq and haven't neccessarily agreed with it, however I certainly don't think Tony Blair is a liar. I believe he did what he thought was right at the time and people are going to criticise his every move no matter how much evidence there is pointing to the fact that he is an honest prime minister.

visit my forum : Stardust Forums
03-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Good point ILS, can this be moved?

Signatures are boring
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Do you have to get drunk to have a good time? Dolores 68 6,978 08-06-2007 07:40 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Tony is unemployed.... Figaro 4 810 11-05-2007 05:20 PM
Last Post: mikado
  Blair 10/10? Groucho 14 2,304 10-05-2007 09:24 PM
  McDonalds smells good doesn't it ! gatubela 13 1,850 31-08-2006 10:56 AM
  How many good times do not involve alcohol IsLe Of WeAtHeR 24 2,309 08-06-2006 03:21 AM
  Should Tony Blair step down as PM? Northern angel 15 1,618 08-03-2006 01:55 PM
Last Post: Andrea
  The Jury ... 12 good men (or women) and true... Dolores 13 1,847 30-08-2005 06:59 AM
Last Post: sayangmouse
  Our Food - More Harm Than Good? Ceridwen 35 3,335 19-06-2005 02:57 PM
Last Post: Ceridwen
  Good and Evil Cockney 67 6,025 14-03-2005 03:44 PM
Last Post: longshot
  who is Good and who is Evil Cockney 20 2,172 09-03-2005 02:19 PM
Last Post: Isis