Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you do the Lottery each week?
25-08-2005, 03:41 PM

Following on from PJ's thread! I am one of those who don't I am afraid, not on a weekly basis, I would say I probably get one maybe about 3 or 4 times a year. I hate the fact that the Camelot pay themselves huge bonuses. There have been some causes that have benefited greatly from the Lottery and for that I do think it is a good thing, but I think if the Lottery had been awarded to Richard Branson instead of Camelot that there would a lot more funds available. More people may get their tickets each week knowing that it was going towards these fat cat's salaries.

I hate those scratch-cards and honestly think that it is people of below average intellegence that buy them, sorry to anyone here who does buy them (can I just add that my mum has been known to buy a few, so sorry mum!) but it becomes addictive and it is the people who really can't afford to that spend hundreds on these things. They buy them in the hope of winning millions and if they do they don't know what do with it. Look at the recent cases of "poor" people who have won it, they end splashing out on fast cars, helicopters, treating all their friends to a drink-fest and then they are back where they started wishing they had never won BUT they still buy their tickets every week.

Do you agree with Lottery, should it be a Richard Branson style of Lottery or don't you bother?

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2005, 03:50 PM
I made the mistake of doing the same numbers every week. I used to go into a panic if I'd forgotten to get a ticket being totally convinced that my numbers would be up there that very week. Then, of course, they brought out the Wednesday lottery so I had to keep doing that too.

I forgot it one week and nothing happened of course. So I didn't bother the next week and I don't think I've bought one for well over a year (except a lucky dip if I happen to be in the shop on a Saturday evening and I think about it).

There's a website where you can check your lottery numbers and see how much you would have spent, against how much you would have won (counting the £10's etc.). The last time I looked I was about £300 up on what I would have won over what I'd have spent.

Might just go and have a look to see if my numbers have come up lately/ever :unsure:
25-08-2005, 03:58 PM
I tend to get on my soapbox a bit about the lottery......

I dont do it, mainly because I dont agree where the money goes, and also because it disgusts me that the BBC use license payers money (ie OUR money) to broadcast it - it doesnt warrant an hour of DROSS - just give us the numbers on the news!!!

Had Richard Branson won the bid then maybe I would have started doing it!

Gambling (and lets face it wining the lottery is a bluddy big gamble!!!) is an addiction, like alcohol and drugs - yet it is perfectly acceptable for the lottery to be advertised day and night by the media, but I guess unless you have seen 1st hand your friend loose everything and declare herself bankrupt because of the 65k+ worth of debts, that her husband clocked up because of his gambling, then you dont even consider it a problem.......

I also used to go out with a guy who would HAVE to be in our local pub for the lottery draw - and he was OBSESSIVE about it - it was if we didnt get there on time and he didnt win, it was because we werent in the pub on time - how pathetic! :blink:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
Find all posts by this user
25-08-2005, 04:01 PM
I usually buy £5 lucky dip and £5 thunderball tickets each Saturday - I don't bother with the Wednesday lottery.
When I smoked if I was buying cigarettes I'd use the change to buy a scratchcard....but since I've given up I rarely buy a scratchcard.......although I was given a £2 one free last week when I bought my lotto tickets - I'm not sure why.

I don't much care what happens to the money raised by the lottery - I buy tickets in the hope of winning.....not because some of my money will go to 'worthy' causes.
25-08-2005, 04:28 PM
Isis Wrote:I tend to get on my soapbox a bit about the lottery......

I dont do it, mainly because I dont agree where the money goes, and also because it disgusts me that the BBC use license payers money (ie OUR money) to broadcast it - it doesnt warrant an hour of DROSS - just give us the numbers on the news!!!

Had Richard Branson won the bid then maybe I would have started doing it!

Gambling (and lets face it wining the lottery is a bluddy big gamble!!!) is an addiction, like alcohol and drugs - yet it is perfectly acceptable for the lottery to be advertised day and night by the media, but I guess unless you have seen 1st hand your friend loose everything and declare herself bankrupt because of the 65k+ worth of debts, that her husband clocked up because of his gambling, then you dont even consider it a problem.......

I also used to go out with a guy who would HAVE to be in our local pub for the lottery draw - and he was OBSESSIVE about it - it was if we didnt get there on time and he didnt win, it was because we werent in the pub on time - how pathetic! :blink:

Well said Isis.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
25-08-2005, 04:41 PM
I think that to be fair the prize money should be shared equally, so when you buy a ticket they should give you your £1 back.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
25-08-2005, 04:51 PM
survivorfan Wrote:I think that to be fair the prize money should be shared equally, so when you buy a ticket they should give you your £1 back.

LMFAO !!!

Don't buy em. BUT I do bet on the GeeGee's but can't watch the race coz don't like the use of the crop ... unless mine is nearly in front then I'm YELLING whip the bugg@r. yeah I know, I know.

:wacko:

Maybe if it went to really good causes and I rememberd it was Saturday or Wednesday .... arr, anyday of the week now init ... I might be tempted.

WooWoo
25-08-2005, 05:20 PM
I rarely buy lottery tickets I just kinda realised that it was throwing good money after bad and I kept forgetting to get a ticket, now it doesn't even register with me that it's "lottery day".

Count me in as those of below average intelligence though, cos i do occasionally, very occasionaly buy a scratch card. And we have a bit of tradition of putting a fivers worth of scratch cards in our birthday cards (me and my brother and sister that is) ... mind you I would be GUTTED if they won a huge amount of money and didn't share it with me!!!! (I'm a taker not a giver!)

I don't not buy a ticket for any of the "worthy" reasons stated above cos if I won a million I wouldn't give a hoot where the "good causes" money was going to ... I'm afraid my social conscience doesn't stretch that far! I would only be buying a ticket cos I wanted to win the dosh! The best way to donate to charity is to have a standing order each month, you know the type of thing £2 to NSPCC, £2 to RSPCA etc.

My dad on the other hand buys them religiously twice a week ... never ever missed a go ... I reckon he's won £50 tops!!! :laugh:

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
25-08-2005, 05:22 PM
WooWoo Wrote:Don't buy em. BUT I do bet on the GeeGee's but can't watch the race coz don't like the use of the crop ... unless mine is nearly in front then I'm YELLING whip the bugg@r. yeah I know, I know.

WooWoo

lol! ditto Woowoo!

Once a year during the Grand National (my only horse race bet!) I can be heard yelling "Hit 'im, 'it 'im 'arder, beat 'im!!!! Wicked I know ... but let's face it the poor old nag is getting whipped whether I shout or not Blush

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
25-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Dol my reference to the below intellegence for buying scratchcards is geared towards them who spent anything from £10 upwards at one sale, then if they win anything they just buy more scratchcards. Pretty silly, if you ask me.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  do you feel you HAVE to take a two week holiday? Dolores 25 1,868 19-01-2006 06:47 PM
Last Post: Bonsai
  National Lottery PJ 17 1,185 27-08-2005 01:46 PM
Last Post: jaycee