Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you encounter racism in everyday life?
10-10-2008, 06:35 PM

Racism, to me, is one of the most frustrating, pointless social diseases in the world. It's bred of ignorance and nothing else. The Curmudgeon doesn't mind hate - but hate on what people DO and SAY, not 'cos someone happens to have a better tan than you do.

I hate to sound all "We Are The World" here, but seriously; the fact that racism is still such a huge, ugly part of the world is monumentally depressing. You go onto 99% of Youtube videos that feature a black person and I can pretty much guarantee you're gonna see the "n" bomb dropped, and not in the "friendly" way that has seemingly taken over the world.

At a metal festival recently, a British rapper (Lethal Bizzle) was (rather unwisely) booked to appear. He was met with a sea of bottles before he even opened his mouth to rap, and among the torrent of missiles were toy monkeys and banana's with racist slurs written on them. How ****ing SAD is that?

So does racism affect YOUR life? Do you encounter this hatred in your everyday routines and the people you deal with? I would say I do, but its the casual ignorant type, absently using words like "Paki" (I even heard this classic last week; "I'm not racist, but I hate Paki's"), and it really gets me down because there's no beating it. You're not going to change someone's mind if they're this stupid. And the fact racism is alive and well on youth orientated things like Youtube and rock gigs is heart breaking.

I hate to sound all holier-than-thou and kill joy, because I can appreciate cracks aimed at races and beliefs - but there's got to be a level, a boundary. Racist ignorance being shown in, say, The Office, is funny because it's shown as not the right way to act. I'm not politically correct for the sake of it - I can make jokes like anyone, but then again I make jokes about child molesters and 9/11. It doesn't mean I actually BELIEVE it, but "gallows" humour is part and parcel of human expression - always has been. It's when words and beliefs are GENUINE that it becomes something else, something far more sinister and poisonous.

Anyway - does it effect YOU?

Thoughts?

Don't abuse children, or else they'll turn out like me.
http://www.thecurmudgeon.proboards88.com - The site to save your life.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2008, 06:41 PM
The Curmudgeon Wrote:At a metal festival recently, a British rapper (Lethal Bizzle) was (rather unwisely) booked to appear. He was met with a sea of bottles before he even opened his mouth to rap, and among the torrent of missiles were toy monkeys and banana's with racist slurs written on them. How ****ing SAD is that?

Got to say I'm quite shocked by this and hadn't heard about it.

Which festival was it? I always took metal fans to be a little more open-minded than most. Obviously I was mistaken.

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
10-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Download Festival.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=llohUzXRG9Y

10-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I think the people who shout racist slogans at black footballers, or who use phrases such as "Paki", show themselves to be what they are. Ignorant. Narrow minded. Stupid. Possibly white supremist @rs.eholes. I think such people are in the minority and the majority of decent society finds them contemptible.

What I find more disturbing is the "sly" racism. The sort that attempts to appear respectable. The sort that you find in the Daily Mail. The sort that suggests - without actually saying so - that every Muslim man who wears long beard is a potential terrorist. Or every black youth that wears a hoodie is a potential mugger/drug dealer/knife wielding gang member. Or every immigrant is an illegal immigrant who will take our jobs, commit crimes and rape our social security system.

Some people believe that sh.!t. And that's worrying.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
11-10-2008, 02:37 AM
Interesting point Curmie.

The UN defines racism as
Quote: any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

Now, say we were to insert the words 'or cultural preferences' after 'ethnic origin'? Where does that position your rants against those who don't share your tastes?

(I'll leave out 'education' for the meantime so I don't feel mean about pointing out that there are several basic grammatical errors in your original post. Smile )

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
15-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Come off it, Fee - what, so I insult someone who watches Big Brother and that puts me alongside the KKK?

15-10-2008, 09:48 AM
The Curmudgeon Wrote:Come off it, Fee - what, so I insult someone who watches Big Brother and that puts me alongside the KKK?

I think the point is that racism is ignorant, intolerant and narrow minded. Assuming that anyone who watches Big Brother or reads Heat is devoid of intellectual or cultural magnitude is also ignorant, intolerant and narrow minded. Therein lies the comparison.

I'm not wishing to put words in Fee's mouth, but that's how I interpreted it.

15-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah, but most (and I'll stress MOST, OK, not ALL) people who DO watch Big Brother and read Heat magazine ARE ignorant.

It's entertainment AIMED at ignorant people. You see those baying morons holding signs like "We Luv U .." (insert Big Brother loser's name here), you hear Davina talking like she's 14 years old and the way the people act in that house.. you read the absolute DROSS that is put into Heat magazine and it's obvious. It's all for morons. Not produced or written by morons, but certainly aimed at them.

Nothing intolerant about saying that. Its the truth.

15-10-2008, 01:30 PM
The Curmudgeon Wrote:It's entertainment AIMED at ignorant people. You see those baying morons holding signs like "We Luv U .." (insert Big Brother loser's name here), you hear Davina talking like she's 14 years old and the way the people act in that house.. you read the absolute DROSS that is put into Heat magazine and it's obvious. It's all for morons. Not produced or written by morons, but certainly aimed at them.

Nothing intolerant about saying that. Its the truth.

Well, to a certain extent I would agree with you. Big Brother has evolved into "cheap" television these days (although I would say that the original concept was a brave social experiment). And Heat magazine isn't sophisticated reading.

But both are phenomenally popular, and whilst they remain so they ain't going anywhere.

The reason they are popular is that they appeal to the voyeur, and everyone has a voyeuristic side. But that doesn't make them morons. I suspect more people watch Big Brother and read Heat (and similiar mags) than would care to admit that they do. I would wager that the majority of viewers/readers are not as ignorant as you suggest - they see these media creations for what they are and regard them as a guilty pleasure. Many of them probably read Hardy and watch Time Team too.

I have to say though, that all of this does rather detract from your original post, which I actually thought was quite an interesting discussion topic. Shame about that.

15-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Good point. I've got a Big Brother is for Morons rant somewhere else here. Let's leave that debate alone for now.

So - racism in everyday life, then. How does it affect YOU?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What's Your Theory on Life? tonee 31 4,635 11-11-2011 04:46 AM
Last Post: sarawang
  Crossing the road to racism Slipper 3 838 19-12-2006 01:16 PM
Last Post: Tigereye
  Today on "The Life & Times of Pete Docherty"... PJ 5 934 17-05-2006 08:29 AM
Last Post: Bonsai
  science, racism and free speech mikado 26 2,082 24-03-2006 05:22 PM
Last Post: Fee For All