Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you have to get drunk to have a good time?
10-04-2005, 09:47 AM

So when you go out for the night do you have to have a drink to have a good time or do you have a good time whether you drink or not? Are you as much "fun" sober as you are drunk? Do friends/family notice a difference in you when you are drinking?

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2005, 09:51 AM
I enjoy a night out - whatever, drink or no drink. There was a time when I couldn't enjoy myself if I didn't have a drink, how sad!

Do people see a change in me if I'm drinking? YES MOST DEFINATELY I get very chatty, sometimes loud and often quite childish!! I also love everybody so much when Im drunk!

visit my forum : Stardust Forums
Find all posts by this user
10-04-2005, 09:52 AM
I don't have to drink to have a good time. I can go out drinking and not have fun or go out stay sober and have a great laugh, it all depends on how im feeling on the night and the people im out with.
Even going out sober i can still wake up with a hangover and I can get drunk as a skunk and wake up frash as a daisy at 6am the following morning it all depends
Smile

waylander :bag:
10-04-2005, 10:06 AM
The trouble with drinking, and the same goes for smoking, is that it is a communal activity, and if everyone else is doing it you feel a bit odd if you're not joining in.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
10-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Dolores Wrote:So when you go out for the night do you have to have a drink to have a good time or do you have a good time whether you drink or not? Are you as much "fun" sober as you are drunk? Do friends/family notice a difference in you when you are drinking?

D'ya know Dolores, this is a question that I have been asking myself quite a lot of late.

Mr and Mr H stopped drinking recently for lent. That was nearly 7 weeks off the booze and pesonally I didn't find it hard at all. I continued to go out socially and enjoyed myself every bit as much (possibly more) as I did when drinking.

However, I did notice that other people's reaction to me could be strange if they knew me as a drinker. E.g. During our time on the wagon we went to a dinner dance where we didn't know all that many people. No-one found it especially strange when we said that we weren't drinking and we didn't feel "left out" of any festivities. However, I went out one night with my work colleagues, who are all big drinkers and are used to me drinking big alongside them. Their reaction to the news that I was on the wagon was very different. For some of them, I became a social pariah within seconds of revealing that I wouldn't be drinking. "T0ssers" was my first thought about them, but then I realised that many of them actually have a bit of a drink problem, and people with drink problems like to be around other people who are the same. It makes them feel better about themselves.

I am different when I drink. Sometimes that's good, because I can be quite a laugh. But I am also more inclined to drop barriers that really should be there, and many times I have behaved in a way when drunk that I have been ashamed about the next day.

Its quite a freedom to be able to go out socially, enjoy yourself without booze, and have no regrets or worries at all the following day, not to mention to hangover. The funny thing is, I don't even enjoy the taste of alcohol that much and I only ever drink for 2 reasons (a) to get drunk (yes, that IS sometimes an objective) or (b) because everyone else is doing it (baa baa).

I am seriously considering becoming teetotal. Overall I didn't feel that I missing anything during the 7 weeks that I went on the wagon. i'm not sure why, but I'm a bit frightend of the idea so I'm not 100% committed to it just yet, but it is something I am considering.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
10-04-2005, 10:24 AM
I know what you are saying sf - on Tuesday lunchtimes [during term time] me and a few Mums meet at our local for lunch - soup and a sandwich. One of the girls has a lager the rest of us just have coke. She has often said she feels like the 'odd one out'. We only ever have one or at the most two drinks - it is generally just chat. But she feels in that short space of time different from the rest of us.

Yet on the odd occasion that I go out, I have a friend who drinks vodka and coke - well looking at her drink she might as well be drinking coke - cos you can't tell. And if she sticks to coke you still can't tell - she is loud with or without drink.

If I am the driver I won't drink, if we go out. And I am also quite loud and chatty - so others don't really know the difference. And I often come away feeling virtuous and rich [money saved]. And I have had a good time.

So I don't know what the answer is - I am certainly more daring and confident with alcohol, but as to having a 'better' time - dunno??

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

10-04-2005, 10:26 AM
I can't drink - it gives me rotten migraine and just isn't worth the pain. When I worked my weekends were so precious that I didn't want to spend any of it being ill.

I envy those that can though. They lose all their inhibitions and are up dancing and don't give a hoot what anyone thinks.

My "ploy" is to wait til everyone else is too drunk to notice me before I get up and dance Smile

I can certainly get drunk on "atmosphere" though - or maybe it's passive drinkingWink. Give me a couple of diet coke's and I can be as silly as ****holes.
10-04-2005, 10:31 AM
I always say I don't have to get drunk to have a good time and that I'm a lot funnier and wittier when sober. So I have to ask myself why do I usually drink too much when I'm out? I really don't know. I also find that people react differently to me if I don't drink - like I'm gonna be a right old bore and bring everyone down. I'm off out on Wednesday night and I'm determined not to drink at all - that will be the first time in a long time that I've gone out with mates and not come home drunk and woken up the next morning feeling guilt ridden.

Watch this space to see if I can do it!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
10-04-2005, 10:31 AM
I think it depends on the mood your in when you go out and the people you are with as to whether or not you'll have a good time while drunk.

I've seen me go out in a rotten mood and sit with a face like :pooh: all night and the drink not cheering me up at all and I've been out with my friends and not drunk and had a high old time. So I guess I don't need to be drunk to have a good time.

XXxCheekyChopsXXX Heart
10-04-2005, 10:40 AM
karenh Wrote:The funny thing is, I don't even enjoy the taste of alcohol that much and I only ever drink for 2 reasons (a) to get drunk (yes, that IS sometimes an objective) or (b) because everyone else is doing it (baa baa).

I am quite different karen - I really do like the taste of alcohol - well no that is not strictly true, vodka, rum, alcopops, whiskey, cider I cannot stand, but I love a really cold cold budweiser on a hot hot afternoon - it is pure nectar. And like now, I am preparing and cooking sunday lunch - and I cannot think of doing this without a beautiful and rich Rioja, the taste is sublime.

And I never ever drink to get drunk - it happens yeah, but as a rule I can have my one or three allotted glasses and stop. Or I am really quite good nowadays knowing inside that I have had an ample sufficiency.

If you are thinking of being a teetotaller - then good on ya - VoR did that a few years ago and she reckons she felt much healthier, happier and better because of it. She didn't like the taste either.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Time to release Ronnie Biggs or not? Seabreeze 12 2,333 26-08-2007 12:05 AM
Last Post: Normal1
  McDonalds smells good doesn't it ! gatubela 13 2,110 31-08-2006 10:56 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Time Fees for the care of the elderly were sorted out. Northern angel 15 2,047 20-07-2006 12:05 PM
Last Post: Northern angel
  How many good times do not involve alcohol IsLe Of WeAtHeR 24 2,505 08-06-2006 03:21 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  A Standing Testament To Nature And Time. Northern angel 21 2,900 12-02-2006 08:20 PM
Last Post: Northern angel
  I'm too busy/havent got time/ sooo tired IsLe Of WeAtHeR 46 4,304 22-09-2005 06:45 PM
Last Post: bridge
  Plan to cut term-time holidays Eternity 10 1,664 18-09-2005 04:21 PM
Last Post: bridge
  The Jury ... 12 good men (or women) and true... Dolores 13 2,191 30-08-2005 06:59 AM
Last Post: sayangmouse
  Dodi and Di .. is it time Al Fayed let go? Dolores 16 2,239 28-08-2005 07:27 PM
Last Post: karenh
  Our Food - More Harm Than Good? Ceridwen 35 3,583 19-06-2005 02:57 PM
Last Post: Ceridwen