Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you read one anothers post etc ?
21-04-2005, 09:25 AM

This topic has just cropped up in the office, and i wondered what everyone else does.

One of the ladies here said that she opens all the post coming into their house, including her husbands. She deals with everything, and so needs to see what comes in addressed to others not just her. I thought this was strange as i would NEVER dream of opening Mr.B's post. I feel its an invasion of his privacy. In turn, he would also never open mine.

Also - she reads her hubbies private emails !!! Again, i said its something i would never do, as its nothing to do with me.

She admitted that she was a nosy person, but i find it odd that her husband doesnt mind her doing this, but maybe he prefers someone else dealing with everything in their household ?.

So what do you do ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Business stuff (including domestic utility stuff, etc.) yes. Personal stuff no. That's how we work it for all mail, snail and e.
21-04-2005, 09:31 AM
I never read Cockney's post - not because of any real privacy issues. but because they're nearly always boring, or bills, and I don't want to know about them :glare: .

He does open my post sometimes if it's obviously bills or bank statements, cos he pays all the bills and sorts out our money . He'd never open anything that was hand-written though, or that he didnt know what it was.

E-mails and texts are public property in our house - we've found it works best for us, having no secrets.

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
21-04-2005, 09:34 AM
floopy Wrote:we've found it works best for us, having no secrets.

But to me its not a case of having 'secrets' in a case of respecting our privacy. I mean, if anyone read my emails they would all be to my best friend slagging off my job, and to my old work asking whats happening with the company etc .... Theres nothing 'secret' there, but its nowt to do with anyone else either.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
21-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Whatever works for you Bons Big Grin I used to be intensely private about stuff like that (blame sharing a room with a nosey elder sister for 10 years) but actually I quite like knowing that Cockney knows absolutely everything about me, it makes me feel very secure.

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
21-04-2005, 09:43 AM
When I was married I used to open my husbands mail. The reason being was he worked away most of the time and never knew when he would be home. It was his idea that I did that. If he was home though when it was delivered, I wouldn't open it, and he never opened mine.

I don't think under normal circumstances I would have done.
21-04-2005, 09:48 AM
I don't open my husband's post, which is all really boring but I wouldn't open it if it looked interesting either. If curiosity gets the better of me I sometimes phone him up and tell him he's got an interesting looking letter and does he want me to open it which he usually does. He never opens mine either.
21-04-2005, 10:29 AM
We open each other's mail and really wouldn't have it any other way. Because Mr tiggs has his own business, a cheque might come and need banking or it might be an order he is waiting for. We have no secrets and are very, very open with each other. We just share things with each other and I have no qualms about him reading any of my mail whatsoever.

We both have different email accounts and I have no desire to read any of his, and he mine, and we don't, but I wouldn't be upset if he did read mine. But he doesn't.

As far as texts go, I have never checked his phone, nor he mine. We both trust each other implicitly and are very secure in our relationship.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
21-04-2005, 10:42 AM
tigger767 Wrote:are very secure in our relationship.

I don't think whether or not you open each others post has got any bearing on how secure you are in your relationship.
21-04-2005, 10:47 AM
He gets tons of parcels delivered, [ebay stuff] when this first started happening I asked if I could open them - he said yes - but I just get very bored with it all because it wasn't for me!:sad:

I actually open very little nowadays - he opens most stuff - but he would always give me a handwritten letter to open if it was addressed to me. And if I know an interesting letter is arriving and he is not here I will open it if it is addressed to him - but only with prior agreement.

emails are similar - I get lots of business related emails that often need answering if I am not here so he will do that. His emails are available to me - I just have no interest in ebay enquiries or stuff like that, so I don't read them.

I agree that there should be a level of privacy - it is just that we have no secrets and so it matters not if either of us read the others post or email.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Funny:Deciding whether to have children?Read it once... petergomes 3 1,349 03-12-2009 03:22 PM
Last Post: ils
  Post your Christmas Photos Here Bella 7 1,352 17-12-2006 06:54 PM
Last Post: littlemissbig
  Bob's Post-Natal Thread! Bella 60 5,680 25-11-2006 08:20 PM
Last Post: Dolores
  baby pics...post yours if you haven't! msgirl 23 2,321 20-04-2006 09:56 AM
Last Post: Tigereye
  HAPPY NEW YEAR! Read after midnight! Coastie 25 3,286 05-01-2006 05:30 PM
Last Post: Haydon_acc2
  Blimey! It's quiet here tonight...POST NOW! Cat 35 3,883 14-10-2005 12:34 PM
Last Post: Critique
  Just had to post this..... Bella 139 8,327 08-10-2005 08:45 PM