Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone know how to .....
08-04-2005, 01:19 PM

convert or re-name a file from one file extension to another?

I subscribed to a game to get extra levels and they sent it by e-mail. It had an .exe file extension and my e-mail didn't support .exe attachments so it was "greyed out".

They have now sent the game again with a .txt extension and told me to rename it. Well, re-name just names it as Game.exe.txt so obviously I haven't done it right.

Please does anyone know how to do this - do I need a file converter prog or is there one with Windows XP. My son's away for a few days otherwise I could ask him. I know poor Blink has more than enough to worry about at the moment, (bless them all). Just wondered if there are any other techies in the Group? Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Last post before my lift arrives (at 3pm).

Windows/Windows Explorer has an option to hide filename extensions, which interferes when you're trying to rename extensions. Load up Windows Explorer, then go to View-->Folder Options or Tools-->Folder Options (depending on your version of Windows). Edit: I see you're on XP - it's the latter for you.

Click the View tab. Make sure there is no X in the box next to "Hide extensions for known file types". You should then be able to do the rename fine, once you have saved the attachment.

It goes without saying that you should virus scan the program before running it.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2005, 02:07 PM
What a champ eh? What can you say about a guy who takes time to help ya when he has problems of his own? Blink - you're a lovely guy and I hope everything goes well for you. I'm really stunned at such kindness. Thankyou so much for your help. xxxx :wink_kiss
08-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Critique Wrote:convert or re-name a file from one file extension to another?

I subscribed to a game to get extra levels and they sent it by e-mail. It had an .exe file extension and my e-mail didn't support .exe attachments so it was "greyed out".

They have now sent the game again with a .txt extension and told me to rename it. Well, re-name just names it as Game.exe.txt so obviously I haven't done it right.

Please does anyone know how to do this - do I need a file converter prog or is there one with Windows XP. My son's away for a few days otherwise I could ask him. I know poor Blink has more than enough to worry about at the moment, (bless them all). Just wondered if there are any other techies in the Group? Thanks.

yes I do....................

[b][i]Life is not that long [Image: 36_1_12.gif]
[/b][/i]
Find all posts by this user
08-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Cockney Wrote:yes I do....................

[Image: AndYourCryBaby.gif] Big Grin Tongue