Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Panic Captain Mannering!
17-10-2005, 10:06 AM

Do you think media headlines make people panic, or would you say we're more sensible than that?

For instance:

PETROL BLOCKADES - PUMPS MAY RUN DRY

- causes panic buying when in fact there was no shortage at all, uintil everyone went crazy.

and now

BIRD FLU PANDEMIC - 50000 WILL DIE! (Daily Hate-Mail)

PUBLIC ARE TOLD NOT TO PANIC! (Govt statement)

People are already visiting GPs, worried they might catch bird flu

Or might it be that we secretly enjoy a crisis and a bit of panic, to alleviate the boredom of our 9-5 existence)

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2005, 10:24 AM
I think its a bit of both.

Certainly, the sensational headlines are bound to cause some people to (over)react to certain issues. There is often an assumption that the media have inside knowledge not available to the public at large, so some people may think there is a genuine need to panic.

However, I'm sure there are people who like all the drama to liven up a humdrum existence.

Plus, there are those people who just like to feel "prepared". My own mother is like this. I can recall a news item from my childhood which suggested that there may be a nuclear attack/ a strike / a freak of nature or something which would mean people would have to stockpile food. I can't remember the specific news item, but I do remember that my mother went out and bought about 3 years worth of non perishable food and store it in our cellar!!!!! When her neighbour suggested that she should wait until the facts (rather than the speculation) were confirmed, my mother just said "Ah, she'll be knocking on our door soon enough for supplies when the food runs out. Then we'll see who was right and who was wrong". :laugh:

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-10-2005, 10:32 AM
The thing about the bird flu is that nobody has caught it from another person, and the only people to have caught it from birds are those living in Asia in close proximity to the animals, eg keeping them in their houses.

At the moment the only pandemic is among chickens in asia, so there's a huge jump that would have to be made before a human version came about. That doesn't seem to stop the scare-mongering though.

remember the SARS panic, and how that all quietly fizzled out?

17-10-2005, 10:34 AM
karenh Wrote:Plus, there are those people who just like to feel "prepared". My own mother is like this. I can recall a news item from my childhood which suggested that there may be a nuclear attack/ a strike / a freak of nature or something which would mean people would have to stockpile food. I can't remember the specific news item, but I do remember that my mother went out and bought about 3 years worth of non perishable food and store it in our cellar!!!!! When her neighbour suggested that she should wait until the facts (rather than the speculation) were confirmed, my mother just said "Ah, she'll be knocking on our door soon enough for supplies when the food runs out. Then we'll see who was right and who was wrong". :laugh:

My mums like this, she always stock piles ... just incase. In the winter she always buys about 4 cartons of long life milk, even though she hates the stuff - Just incase she gets snowed in !!!!

I think a few years ago there was a threat of heavy snow, which would make deliveries to supermarkets difficult - so there might not be much bread. She filled her freezer up with the stuff. Also, when the Branston Pickle factory burnt down this year - she managed to grab about 50 jars ... just incase she would have to go without for a while - but she hates pickle Huh

Im the total opposite. I never have anything stock piled.

I think the papers do cause sensationalism. They had the doctor on GMTV this morning trying to put things into perspective about bird flu. He said that, if it did come here its more likely to appear next winter, and not this winter.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
17-10-2005, 10:35 AM
survivorfan Wrote:The thing about the bird flu is that nobody has caught it from another person

I thought it had - but only one victim so far ? Or is that something else

17-10-2005, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2005 10:48 AM by survivorfan.)
Bonsai Wrote:I think a few years ago there was a threat of heavy snow, which would make deliveries to supermarkets difficult - so there might not be much bread. She filled her freezer up with the stuff. Also, when the Branston Pickle factory burnt down this year - she managed to grab about 50 jars ... just incase she would have to go without for a while - but she hates pickle Huh

A lot of people do that, the trouble is it causes even more shortages when people stockpile.

We tend to be that same as you, and don't bother about it. On the rare occasion when something is temporarily in short supply, well, what the heck, it's not as if it's something you can't live without.

Bonsai Wrote:I thought it had - but only one victim so far ?

If that's the case I've got it wrong. Do you remember where you saw that?

17-10-2005, 10:49 AM
survivorfan Wrote:If that's the case I've got it wrong. Do you remember where you saw that?

I thought the doctor said it on GMTV this morning.

17-10-2005, 10:53 AM
As one who has lived in the sticks in snowy Scotland where you are very likely to be marooned for a couple of weeks, I have always had well stocked cupboards and freezers from habit. I reckon I could, at any given time last at least 4 weeks without needing to shop....there may be some odd meals near the end, but I wouldn't starve.

This bird flu thing, I don't know about it to be honest. How many have died worldwide so far? 60(ish)? I just feel it's over caution. An 'I told you so' if it does happen - or an 'Our emegency procedures were in place and proved to have worked' if it doesn't. Either way, the government can't lose.

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
17-10-2005, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2005 11:06 AM by survivorfan.)
Eternity Wrote:I just feel it's over caution. An 'I told you so' if it does happen - or an 'Our emegency procedures were in place and proved to have worked' if it doesn't. Either way, the government can't lose.

that's what I thought too - a chief medical officer saying that 50000 will die souds like an overreaction to me, and not a wise statement to make unless like you say someone wants to cover their ar5e.

actually, even if what he says is true, set against the deaths from normal flu it's not too terrible - last year around 10000 people in the UK died from that.

One thing about talk about preparing vaccine - it's a load of tosh. You can't prepare a vaccine for something thatdoesn't exist yet, and as far as I know the virus hasn't mutated into a form that can be transmitted form human to human (although I didn't see Bonsai's doctor on GMTV)*.

* There is a case where a girl infected with bird flu in Asia may have passed it on to her aunt, and another similar case. However this isn't causing a great deal of concern as it seems only to have passed to a relative living in close proximity to the infected person. The main problem would be if a person had bird flu and normal flu, and the virus mutated into a form that could be easily passed on, as withnormal flu. But that doesn't seem to have happened.

17-10-2005, 11:08 AM
SF, it will take at least 8 months before there is a vaccine for this, and that is after it has already mutated, so we are probably looking at being 'ready' for this next winter?

I am disgusted to read that anyone other than those qualifying for a flu jab can buy one now for between £20 and £40. How come as a tourist paying privately in New Zealand last December I could have bought one for about £5? I think last year the flu jabs would have cost £10-12 here...........someone's definitely doing rip offs here!

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~