Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donators, Sponsors and everythng else...
17-06-2005, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2005 06:37 AM by karenh.)

I know that I am not the regular poster that I used to be, but I've come to realise that over time, I've started to lose touch with how the forum works. There are a number of things that I don't understand and I wondered if anyone out there can help me. I can't seem to find the answeres in the FAQ's.

Donators

What are they? How do you become one? What are the advantages of being a donator? The name suggests that they have made a financial contribution to the forum and I get the impression (dunno why) that there may be special privilidges allocated to those people who fall into this category.

Sponsors

Again, what are they, how do you become one and what are the advantages of being a Sponsor? How is it different from a Donator? Again, I get the vague impression that there may be special priviledges allocated to those people who fall into this category, yet I can find information about them.

Anonymous Posting

I've noticed that a number of people spend a heck of a lot of time online in an anonymous mode. Each to their own and I have no problem with this apart from the fact that I can't work out how do it myself. :laugh:

Can someone tell me, because I'm starting think that that the ability to "hide" is one of the special priviledges allocated to Donators / Sponsors. Smile

Hiding the details of your last visit

Some time ago, Ceridwen pointed out that if you go the members list and look for a particular member, it tells you that date/time of that persons last visit. There is way to hide this information but I don't know how to do it. Could someone tell me?

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Karen, if you click on the link at the top left of the page it will tell you what donators/spnsors can/can't do, and yes, it does involve money.

To become anonymous you need to go into your User CP and click on choose options and tick the invisible mode. Being able to hide isn't anything to do with being a sponsor/donator but you can see other people who are hidden if you are one of these.

No idea about hiding details of your last visit.
17-06-2005, 07:34 AM
maxine Wrote:To become anonymous you need to go into your User CP and click on choose options and tick the invisible mode. Being able to hide isn't anything to do with being a sponsor/donator but you can see other people who are hidden if you are one of these.

Thanks for answering Max.

I don't have an option for "Invisible mode".

I've gone into the User CP, selected Edit Options, and there is a section for Login & Privacy. But within that section, I only have the following options: "Show my Reputation Level" and "Allow V card dowload". I don't have an option for invisibility, wich I why I thought it might be restricted to certain members only.

17-06-2005, 07:36 AM
Invisibility is restricted to Donators and Sponsors Karen, and to view invisible members is restricted to Sponsors only!

As for hiding your last visit I don't think that is available to anyone!
17-06-2005, 07:37 AM
I think only donators and sponsors can make themselves invisible. They can also see people who are invisible too ... so really why be invisible?!

Actually I know this isn't the place for this, but I have a beef with the donators/sponosrs being able to see people who choose to be invisible. People often want to be invisible for a reason and I really don't see why anyone should be able to see them, it's there business. Most of us go invisible from time to time for various reasons. I certainly have on occasions.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
17-06-2005, 07:59 AM
ilovesurvivor Wrote:Invisibility is restricted to Donators and Sponsors Karen, and to view invisible members is restricted to Sponsors only!

Ooooh that sucks bigtime. :mad2:

One of the things that I liked most about this forum was the fact that it used to be very equal. There was no "hierarchy". When did that become a bad idea? My objection to this is not based on the fact I am not a member of the upper echelons of this hierarchy - I am aware that I could easily become a member by putting my hand in my pocket in some way - my objection is based on the fact that the hierachy is there at all!

I don't object to helping the forum financially at all and its something I have offered to do in the past without any "incentives" such as the ability to sneak around the place. But I do hate the idea that I become a less priviledged member if - for some reason - I am unable to contribute or choose not to.

ilovesurvivor Wrote:As for hiding your last visit I don't think that is available to anyone!

Yes, it is. Some people know how to do it. Floopy for one. Groucho for another. Probably others too. Check it out.

17-06-2005, 08:10 AM
karenh Wrote:Yes, it is. Some people know how to do it. Floopy for one. Grouch for another. Probably others too. Check it out.

If you are a sponsor you can see who is in invisibility mode and you can also see their last visit, although they might be able to hide it from the donators and non contributors ...
17-06-2005, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2005 08:50 AM by karenh.)
ilovesurvivor Wrote:If you are a sponsor you can see who is in invisibility mode and you can also see their last visit, although they might be able to hide it from the donators and non contributors ...

Oh yeah - that would make sense in the context of this new hierarchy. Its hardly obvious to the peasants like myself though. :wink2:

And there was me thinking that all you got was a crap pet! If I was on here often enough to think it necessary to hide the fact, then I might consider paying £5 pm to do it. But I'm not. I don't need to hide, and those that do hide tend to do it in the misguided belief that it makes it look like they are on here less than they are. :laugh: i.e. The hopelessly addicted who are slightly ashamed of their obsession!

Actually, I'd have paid £5 per WEEK out for nothing in return if I was asked and I thought the forum needed the revenue. But I object to paying to gain priviledges that others don't have. That just smells bad to me.

Sh!t - its not even a meritocracy! It does not take into a account length of membership, loyalty, contribution etc. Just cash.

17-06-2005, 08:47 AM
I agree a lot with everything you say Karen. I don't consider myself a prolific enough poster to rationalise paying an amount each month.

But I do think that a lot of the Donators/Sponsors pay only because they want to help Haydon out, rather than gain privileges.

It really got my goat at first about the invisible thing as I sometimes chose to go invisible depending upon what mood I was in personally, that had nothing to do with anyone on the board. Sometimes I go into introvert mode and that affects everything I do, not just on here. But I do have a problem in the fact that if people do wish to go invisible they should have the right to do so, without anyone seeing, paid privileges or not.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
17-06-2005, 09:00 AM
karenh Wrote:Yes, it is. Some people know how to do it. Floopy for one. Groucho for another. Probably others too. Check it out.

Not sure who told you this Karen, but it's complete bollox.

I have no idea how to hide the time of my last visit, although I would if I could. The thought that people have nothing better to do than check out the last time I logged on disturbs me a little.

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user