Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eminem - Mockingbird - Review
12-05-2008, 11:51 PM

Someone kill this mockingbird

First of all, I have a lot of respect for Eminem. I'm not a massive fan or anything, but he genuinely did bring something new to the rap table, something which is still beyond most of the hopeless, bling obsessed, identikit idiots on MTV right now. He didn't rap about cars and girls and money like EVERY SINGLE OTHER RAPPER, he instead talked about his life, politics, controversy, celebrity.. he could be funny. He could be serious. Really - he could do it all. Oh, and forgive the past tense, but he's quit the business, apparently. I give THAT about a year.

Anyway, like I said - a lot of respect for Eminem for saying something NEW in hip hop. That's not to say he didn't say the same things over and over and over again (how many times did we have to hear that he hated his mother? We get it, guy).

Yes, family did play a large part in Eminem's music. When he wasn't "dissing" his mother or his ex-wife, he was throwing love at his daughter, Hailie. Like on this catastrophic effort, quite simply the worst single Eminem ever released (D12 efforts notwithstanding, that's more crap for another day).

Singing about (and indeed, to) your daughter is fine, but it's got to be done in a way, especially when it's coming from Mr Controversy Eminem, that doesn't make you want to gag. And when the opening lines are "Straighten up little soldier" the alarm bells begin to ring. When the song continues with "I'mma (sic) give you the world, buy a diamond ring for you, sing for you, I'll do anything to see you smile" you're not so much being sick as laughing hard and heartily.

And oh yes, he's going to sing for Hailie. Which means he's going to sing for us, too, giving one of the most fingernails down a blackboard chorus in years. You rap. You don't sing. Get Dido to do it for you next time again or something. Just.. don't ever sing. No matter how great the urge is.

This would be one of the last singles Eminem put out, but not before another (admittedly superior) vomit-fest about Hailie called "When I'm Gone". Seems that his biggest inspiration in life was also his creative Achilles heel. Go figure.

Not sure what Eminem is going to start rapping about when he inevitably returns. He milked the War/Bush ordeal to death (because, like, he really cared about it and stuff) and so I guess we can look forward to more verbal diarrhoea directed towards Hailie . Hold me back.

Don't abuse children, or else they'll turn out like me.
http://www.thecurmudgeon.proboards88.com - The site to save your life.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Why are you bothering to review songs which are over FOUR YEARS old???? Are you living in a different dimension to the rest of us??????

I really cant be ar$ed to reply to each individual post for each song Sleepy Sleepy but with the exception of this song, pretty much every one you have picked to review is a load of ******** (In MY opinion).............

Eminem is a rapper - not a singer, and having seen him perform live on more than one occassion, I say he ROCKS!!!!!!!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
Find all posts by this user
15-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Disregard.
15-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Tch, that Tora Tora eh? What a card.

Anyway, I decided to put a RANGE of reviews on here, both new and old. That way you may not have heard of some of the newer crap that's out there, but you may have heard of some older garbage. Like this song. Which you have, see?

15-05-2008, 08:28 PM
there isnt much I havent heard of to be honest, even what i consider to be ******** ****e I still know about because of my step kids and nieces......

i could live without TV but not music and I have an extensive CD and record collection.....

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
15-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Have you heard of Does It Offend You, Yeah?

15-05-2008, 09:05 PM
The Curmudgeon Wrote:Have you heard of Does It Offend You, Yeah?

I've seen them live with The Ting Tings, The Cribs and Joe Lean and The Jing Jang Jong.

Also met them when they came in to do an interview. Nice guys.

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
15-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Did I ask you?

15-05-2008, 09:09 PM
No.

Is this not a discussion forum? I thought your reviews were to spark debate on music and films?

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
15-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Is this going to turn into a match of who knows the most bands then? cos frankly im far too long in the tooth to be ar$ed with all that :laugh:

have just had a listen - its ok I guess, it would be one of those that would perhaps grow on me, a bit like Bloc Party, I never like their songs at 1st and then the more I hear them the more I like them, I was like that with Pendulum and The Klaxons too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fergie - The Dutchess - Review The Curmudgeon 4 1,492 15-05-2008 02:19 PM
Last Post: The Curmudgeon
  Mel C - I Want Candy - Review The Curmudgeon 1 1,075 13-05-2008 02:37 PM
  Basshunter - Now You're Gone - Review The Curmudgeon 11 2,724 13-05-2008 11:23 AM
Last Post: Groucho
  Soulja Boy - Crank Dat - Review The Curmudgeon 1 1,033 13-05-2008 01:24 AM
  Leon Jackson - When You Believe - Review The Curmudgeon 14 2,253 13-05-2008 01:03 AM
  Scooter - Jumping All Over The World - Review The Curmudgeon 27 3,312 12-05-2008 11:45 PM
Last Post: Mars
  Paul Potts - One Chance - Review The Curmudgeon 4 1,061 12-05-2008 10:12 PM
Last Post: Patsy
  Cascade - Everytime We Touch - Review The Curmudgeon 1 779 12-05-2008 10:07 PM
  Michael Jackson - Thriller 25th Anniversary Review The Curmudgeon 3 987 12-05-2008 07:49 AM
  Sam and Amanda - Barbie Girl - Review The Curmudgeon 3 978 12-05-2008 07:48 AM