Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Escape to the Legion!
05-07-2005, 09:20 AM
Escape to the Legion!

Bonsai Wrote:Oh yes indeedy do - if i ever have a blister i have to pop it, with a tissue at the ready to soak up any juices :w00t:

It's official...we are realted! :laugh:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Escape to the Legion!
I so knew you'd be watching this Coastie Smile

Haven't seen much TV for weeks but I made a point of sitting down to watch this and I enjoyed it, in a kind of watching semi-naked get hot and sweaty sort of way.

I felt slightly sorry for the guy who pulled out. It did seem unnecessarily cruel to make the others suffer for his failure. If he'd been tempted to rejoin just to stop his mates suffering more punishment, he would have been a burden to the group and probably would have quit pretty soon anyway.
06-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Escape to the Legion!
Are you insiuating that I have an uncontrollable lust towards men in combats Noxie?

Well you'd be right! Blush

The thing with the guy that dropped out is that they were treating the volunteers exactly how they would have been treated had they joined the real Legion...there will be no mercy...and it's quite common practice in the services to make the others in a platoon/squad to pay for the failing member of the group...basically the reasoning is that the rest of the group will then work together to bring the guy up to speed and in so doing the military keep a recruit and the team work is improved within the unit. It's harsh but it works! :smartie:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
08-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Escape to the Legion!
I liked the comment in the Sun about the one instructor who looks like he is only about 4 feet tall.

When the little guy says "pain is just weakness leaving the body", they said " he must have been through a lot of pain to get that small".

I though it was a great program. How do they know if someone is really injured though? Or doesn't it matter?

Yup, hooked, roll on next week.
11-07-2005, 11:21 AM
Escape to the Legion!
Tonights the night!

Looking forward to it since it is the only thing even remotely worth watching this evening! :blink:

11-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Escape to the Legion!
" I was 16 stone when I joined the Legion, and after 5 months I weighed 9 stone"

Wooo.........

(but I bet the 9 stone version could kick the carp out of the 16 stone version)
11-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Escape to the Legion!
Watched this tonight and my one question would be

WHY?

I agree about the little guy, SM. Small man syndrome had absolutely nothing to do with him joining, I'm sure. :blink:
Find all posts by this user
11-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Escape to the Legion!
You'll find that apart from the training being in Africa, not South Western France, the fact that Legionnaires spend 4 months in basic not 1 month (the regiments are harder in fact) and apart from the fact that if you answered back to any NCo in the Legion, you'd have your face filled in there and then. This programme was very realistic.

The Sun newspaper isn't fit to lick the mud of the boots of Sgt Ferguson it's papier de toilette. I'm sure not many would argue with him to his face. It's a myth that soldiers are 6ft tall and 10ft wide, they don't make good soldiers anyway, the shorter and smaller means you make less noise and a lesser target.
11-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Escape to the Legion!
Patsy Wrote:Watched this tonight and my one question would be

WHY?

I was also saying this to hubby. The bullying that the Officers give out just remind of the book I'm reading at the moment "Sleepers".
No-one deserves the kind of treatment that just demeans them totally.
But hubby realises the other side having been in the Navy. They need people who will work together as a team in time of conflict without any question of dissent.
But I still don't like it.

But the program is good.

[Image: 429.gif]
12-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Escape to the Legion!
That's because Andrea it is unlikely you have ever or will never see combat. Remember the Foreign Legion doen't ask people to go there. Any army survives with discipline, remember these NCO's have been through the same if not worse and if they order young men to attack a force head then they need to be confident that that's exactly what their men will do. Due to the training they will do it as well. It is a form of brainwashing but one that is effective for its intended purpose.

Unfortunately, unlike the British forces, the French Army aren't exactly tactically aware and as such the methods are in some ways Napoleonic in that they will attack a force whilst outnumbered using pure aggression.Fitness and sleep deprivation enables a fighting force to continue when the enemy gives up, Americans during the 1st Gulf war had container loads of water shipped in adding to a logistical nightmare, the French and British Army had to make do, that is why the training is so important.

Lastly, so that we may enjoy our freedoms, a country will order its young men to undertake brutal combat, sometimes hand to hand,it's not pleasant and any sane person would avaoid it like the plague but sane people are having to carry out these dreadful acts, there is no room for political correctness or fluffy ideologies whilst doing so, make no mistake, the harsh training actually saves lives, I know because I was there so have earnt the right to comment.

People ask why, well, in my case,having left the Royal Marines, my ambition was to complete one of the most demanding courses in the world, mentally it is harder than anything I have done before but not impossible, most people will adapt to a situation because quite simply there is no way out. I can honestly say that never in civvy street could I trust another (apart from close family) like I trusted those blokes.
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  TV Escape to the Legion on The History Channel : UK, and the Discovery Channel :USA RaiderDingo 19 2,718 16-10-2005 09:09 PM
Last Post: RaiderDingo