Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Escape to the Legion!
12-07-2005, 01:00 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2005 01:12 AM by johno1066.)
Escape to the Legion!

Coastie Wrote:basically the reasoning is that the rest of the group will then work together to bring the guy up to speed and in so doing the military keep a recruit and the team work is improved within the unit. It's harsh but it works! :smartie:

Spot on Coastie!!!!!

and on a less serious note, before anyone asks, no I didn't join to look at blokes in their combats, it's not allowed anyway LOL!!

like the animation by the way!!
Find all posts by this user
12-07-2005, 06:42 AM
Escape to the Legion!
Well little leathery faced Lee didn't make the course did he. He was "full" of attitude and never looked like a team player.

As for Bear being buried up to the neck ... I'm surprised they stopped there!!

He's reminds me of a tough Alan Partridge!!!

I can't beleive I've watched the same programme two weeks in a row ... usually my attention span isn't that finely tuned!

Two more episodes to go...

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Escape to the Legion!
Johno1066 - welcome to the forum, and thanks for explaining life in the legion.

I think the program is truly fascinating, and im loving Bear. I mean, he got into trouble for trying to help a fellow trainee who was desperate for protein, and for that i love him. Also - he has to go through the same hard slog as the others, but always manages to sound upbeat and stop others from ringing the bell. What a man.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
12-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Escape to the Legion!
johno1066, thanks for your great post and I do understand what you are saying.
My hubby was saying exactly the same thing last night, he has always said he wanted to go in the legion.
It's like you said, I've never come across that way of working and hope to god I never will (well actually I tell a lie, a doctor in hospital once screamed at me like that for no reason at all, she was the biggest pig going, but thats another story) and these people do put themselves up for it knowing to a certain extent what to expect.

So I applaud anyone who can do this sort of stuff, I'd never be able to do it.

[Image: 429.gif]
12-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Escape to the Legion!
Hi Bonsai, thanks for the welcome, I have to admit, bear is great and you may have noticed that most of the others are now pulling together because they are facing adversity. Wayne is doing very well, although physically he's struggling he has the right mental attitude and i think he'll get through.

Hi Andrea, i think that way of working works for the armed forces because of the job, a Doctor in a hospital screaming at someone in the same manner is nothing short of bullying. Bullies show they have lost control and they thrive off of the pain of others, remember this Doctor is the one who's weak, she has the problem and will not gain any respect by screaming at anyone, in the end it will make her miserable and despised.

You may not be able to do the Foreign Legion, many will not, I respect as much though, those who can live their lives without bothering anyone else, provide for their children whilst holding down a job or jobs. Or there's the nurses who spend 16 hours on their feet, having been spat at and shouted at by the weekend drunks and yet is still caring and professional. There are so many more examples I could go on.

I have to say that bringing up a child has to be the hardest and most responsible challenge I have done todate and of course, it doesn't just last 5 years, it lasts a lifetime.
12-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Escape to the Legion!
Johno, obviously some people are more able than others to cope with the Foreign Legion, but did you not find the treatment ... well, dehumanising? Because that's how it looks.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
12-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Escape to the Legion!
Johno...welcome!

Thanks for sharing some of your experiences with us.

I have to say Wayne has earned my utmost respect. He is the weakest physically but his show of grit determination has shown him to be a strong contender to see this challenge of a lifetime through to the end.

I have to say that if I were in a similar situation as these guys I wouldn't lack the determination and mental strength required to see it through...not that that would matter as I would be physically dead by now anyway! :laugh:

Johno....do you still have a set of combats? :naughty:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
12-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Escape to the Legion!
Coastie Wrote:Johno....do you still have a set of combats? :naughty:

Oh dear .... Coastie, restrain yourself dear :wink_kiss

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
12-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Escape to the Legion!
Bonsai Wrote:Oh dear .... Coastie, restrain yourself dear :wink_kiss

Sorry...it's just men in combats makes me go all mushy...hence I could never join the army...they feared for the safety of the men! Blush

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
12-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Escape to the Legion!
Good point, Yes I found it dehumanising to a certain degree, although I did not realise it at the time, that is what the training is for. It is designed to mould 8000 people into the same mindset in that they will operate as one. the British do things slightly different in that they allow their soldiers, sailors and airmen to make more decisions for themselves.That doesn't however work for a group of people who derive from perhaps 136 different countries.

We all succumb to some form of ,dare I say it 'brainwashing' one way or another in our daily lives, ie by learning right from wrong, it enables us to conform to a society that would otherwise cease to exist. The forces (and i'm sure Andreas husband could attest to this) use this very human trait to their fullest advantage and take it to a much greater level. I accept psychological problems do occur as a result, namely due to the inadequate care given to ex forces members whom have seen combat for example, yet for most the training still takes over well into civilian life.

Most normal functions, humility,compassion etc are unaffected by the training and in my opinion for the majority of cases, ex-forces members make an excellant contribution to society upon their discharge.

Hope this answers your question
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  TV Escape to the Legion on The History Channel : UK, and the Discovery Channel :USA RaiderDingo 19 2,718 16-10-2005 09:09 PM
Last Post: RaiderDingo