Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Escape to the Legion!
12-07-2005, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2005 11:52 AM by johno1066.)
Escape to the Legion!

As they say in the Navy Coastie,

there's a golden rivet on every ship!!! LOL

No, i no longer have any combats the green and desert ones went out of fashion, now it appears that the urban combats are the latest thing. Pink, white & grey etc.
Find all posts by this user
12-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Escape to the Legion!
Shame.... :mellow:

I was going to join the army but decided I didn't want to live in the company of lesbians....far to many in the army.

So I looked into the navy but it was when the ladies were left ashore doing all the paper work and well...sorry but boring!

I didn't have a double barreled name so I knew the RAF was out of the question so I looked towards the Police....

Somehow ended up where I am now and well there is no totty to speak of...most disapointing! Sad

I work with alot of ex-services personel and it's interesting to hear their stories of basic training and its interesting to compare that to what we do see on these TV reality shows...basically not the half of it!

The Legion has to be the ultimate challenge for anyone and as Johno has said because of the broad spectrum of those wishing to join, it has to be brutally and doubly tough on new recruits in order that people of different races and beliefs can work together without hesitation in times when a couple of seconds can mean the difference between life and death. If all have been broken down to the same level the legion can then rebuild them as a team of like minded individuals who will operate together under and umbrella of clear understanding.

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Escape to the Legion!
johno1066 Wrote:Most normal functions, humility,compassion etc are unaffected by the training and in my opinion for the majority of cases, ex-forces members make an excellant contribution to society upon their discharge.

Hope this answers your question

I appreciate that you have seen these things at close hand, and I haven't, but I have my doubts that harsh treatment has no effect on compassion.

For instance, Japanese soldiers were infamous for their inhumane treatment of prisoners during WW2, and I have read that this was likely to be a consequence of the cruel treatment they themselves received from their superiors.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
12-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Escape to the Legion!
One thing I did notice on the program is that all the people who had been in the legion (the one's they interview and the officers) all had been in the service for the minimum 5 years and not much longer.

Seems they all left soon after they had served their term and didn't stay on very long voluntarily.

[Image: 429.gif]
12-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Escape to the Legion!
Andrea Wrote:One thing I did notice on the program is that all the people who had been in the legion (the one's they interview and the officers) all had been in the service for the minimum 5 years and not much longer.

Seems they all left soon after they had served their term and didn't stay on very long voluntarily.

Yeah I niticed that...bunch of pussies... :bag:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
12-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Escape to the Legion!
Coastie Wrote:Somehow ended up where I am now and well there is no totty to speak of...most disapointing..

What!!! no fumbles behind the local chip shop, where are you based Chipping Norton? LOL!! You are of course spot on with regards to the other points you mentioned. I've a couple of mates who are Police, what we tned to forget is that the likes of the Police are on the frontline daily. With regards to the RAF, crikey, they even have clubs called the 'starlight bar' etc on their bases,, very cushy.

Survivor fan:

I think I know where this is going,compassion is a virtue that you have to have in the Forces, not to a fluffy level but from a hearts & minds perspective. Most 'successfully' fought wars will include a huge effort to ensure that civilians are well catered for etc. This can be accomplished through medical care, rebuilding programmes etc. A contradiction I would agree but one that is important to gain the trust of the local population and one that works certainly with effect in the British Forces. You don't have to act tough all the time to prove that you are tough.

Regarding atrocities commited against civiians or prisoners of war, most of these are committed by reserve personnel or personnel who are from support companies. Take bosnia for example, most trained soldiers did not commit the atrocities, these were carried out by militia (kids in tracksuits whom were given an AK47 and as such power), by conscripts whom had limited training and by nutters of the Arkan Tigers brigade whom were nothing more than gangsters and terrorists. Soldiers, whilst harsh would not entertain the killing of civilians or POWs, yes they may get ruffed up abit but what would you do if you've just seen your mate take a bullet in the head after being fired at under a white flag for example?

Andrea:

5 years is the minimum contract. What you are seeing on television doesn't stop after basic training, these methods continue into the Regiment albeit in a slightly lesser form. To do this for 5 years wears the body out trust me. Many do go on to serve for the rest of their lives.
12-07-2005, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2005 01:21 PM by johno1066.)
Escape to the Legion!
One more thing Survivor fan,

With regards to the japanese, they as a race considered those who surrendered or captured as being vermin, (they obviously weren't), as such they treated the prisoners as such. Whilst I accept some may have enjoyed torturing prisoners, that is a very human trait not necessary confined to just the military. On the other hand would have committed such acts out of the fear for their own lives as in the Japanese army at the time, disobeying an order was not only dishonourable, it was suicide. No excuse by any means but personal survival s a element.
13-07-2005, 01:46 AM
Escape to the Legion!
I appreciate everything you say Johno, and understand it.

But the legion methods seem very old-fashioned in determining which have the correct mental attitude. I do not believe you have to torture someone to establish if they have the "right stuff", that just seems neanderthal. It is one way for sure, is tried and tested, but it seems so 19th century. Can't they think of some other way?

If its in you, identify it early and tune it - but the Legion way just seems so primitive.

I met some English soldiers in Belize doing army training there, and that sounded extremely horrible, but everything they did made some sense as far as training is concerned. I'm sure they don't fall apart when bullets start to fly, so why take it 5 notches up in the brutality scale just because its the Legion?

Sorry to be a bit alternative here, but I don't believe the Legion creates anything different than the British or US or German or Israeli or whatever Special Forces. Its just old fashioned. I don't believe for a second that in a firefight between Legion and British (or a host of other countries) personnel, the Legion would be favourite by virtue of the fact it is Legion. Such a battle would be won by cool heads and decisive action, and they would all have it. Strikes me the Legion would have a foolhardiness about it in its agressiveness that a more tactical unit would exploit (boxing comes to mind ).

But then what do I know...I'm off to the BB forum where I feel comfortable....
13-07-2005, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2005 08:55 AM by johno1066.)
Escape to the Legion!
Like I said,

The Legion is is somewhat Napoleonic in its ways, the British Army focuses on tactics the Legion doesn't so you are right on that point. Remember however that the FFL are shock troops, usually the first in then the french army come in and 'mop' up.

That said, what works for one doesn't for another and that's what these reality shows don't show you is the effectiveness after training. All I can tell you and i'm going to leave it here, is that having served in British and French forces is that the training works for the intended purposes. I say again however that people volunteer for this and know what they are getting themselves into.

Hopefully if you see the next two episodes when they start using live weapons etc, some understanding of the previous two weeks training will become apparatent. Especially with regards to how quickly they become as one.
13-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Escape to the Legion!
johno1066 Wrote:and i'm going to leave it here.

No - stick around and comment on the rest of the show as it happens. I think its great that someone who has experienced life in these kind of conditions is on here giving us the heads up.

Also - have a gander around the rest of the forum. Maybe join in elsewhere. See you around Cool

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  TV Escape to the Legion on The History Channel : UK, and the Discovery Channel :USA RaiderDingo 19 2,718 16-10-2005 09:09 PM
Last Post: RaiderDingo