Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estonia/Finland
10-10-2007, 05:02 AM
Estonia/Finland

I shall be celebrating my birthday with a visit to Tallin in Estonia this year...

I'll be going with my usual travel buddy and we are looking to tick two countries off in the few days we have...

For £25 you can get a ferry from Tallin to Helsinki so that will be Estonia and Finland pegged on the map and I can't wait!

Tallin is steeped with history and has wonderful markets...

Helsinki has a really tall building with a resturant at the top and a toilet which provides a panaramic view of the city as you wee! How cool is that!:laugh: We just need to find it!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Estonia/Finland
Coastie Wrote:Helsinki has a really tall building with a resturant at the top and a toilet which provides a panaramic view of the city as you wee! How cool is that!:laugh: We just need to find it!

May I suggest you look for the really tall building and see if it has a restaurant

The ironic thing about life is that no one gets out alive...Huh
Find all posts by this user
10-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Estonia/Finland
Coastie, you will love Tallin!

We went there last year in January and it was fabulous. We had a great time. Cheap as anything, and lots of history. Are you staying the Old Town? I'd recommend it.

Have you found somewhere to stay yet? If not, let me know and I can give you the name of a really good hotel in the Old Town. It has sauna's in all the bathrooms, and believe me, in Tallin in January, you need them. There is also a fabulous place where you can get yummy cakes and hot choclate in all sorts of flavours (I can recommend Chilli and Orange). I'll see if I can dig out the name of it.
10-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Estonia/Finland
Ohh lovely coastie. Tallin is on my wish list. Loved Helsinki but found it very dear, so keep an eye on the menus outside bars & restaurants [got burnt badly there once].

when are ye off?

bam bam
14-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Estonia/Finland
Fly out on the 19th November...:yahoo:

It is yet another cheap as chips holiday as far as I am concerned - £80 for flights and three nights in a hotel 5mins walk from the town centre...

We figure we can save money in Tallin and in so doing can afford a day trip across to Helsinki...

I am so looking forward to it :yahoo:

Slip...yeah thanks for that...:laugh:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
26-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Estonia/Finland
WELL HON - HOW WAS DA TRIP?:cool1:

Was Tallinn beautiful? Did you get to Finland?

bam bam
26-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Estonia/Finland
Had a great time dispite the main sights we wanted to see in Tallin being closed...

The discoveries we made are as follows...

Things are priced in Eek's - eg: 230 Eek - this provided a fair bit of amusement...well simply things and all that...

The grumpiest, rudest most obnoxious man in the world works in the Kiek in da kok...

Old Tallinn is simply beautiful with all its cobbled streets and alleyways and medieval buildings...new Tallinn is a dirty old city...

The old ferry terminal is incredibly ugly...the prison wont open for tours until March 2008...the Maritime Museum is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays...the Health Museum has pictures on the effects of STD's but is currently closed for refurbishment...

The best place to eats is Grandma's Place in old Town...Ye Olde Hansa is a fun place to eat and has dodgey medieval music, tapestries, candle lighting, laaaaaarge beers and men in tights...woohoo! Scotland Yard have amazing toilets with electric chair surrounds...straps provided! :w00t:

Estonians are happy people, apparently, but the joy never reaches their face.

The Uniquestay Hotel does not have a trouser press in every room as promised by their web site!

The National Anthem gets played every morning at 0830 as the flag gets raised at the town hall...it gets played again at around 1630 as the flag is lowered.

Anymore than two days and you would run out of things to do but it is worth a visit!:good:

Helsinki does not contain a single goodlooking bloke...does yummy chocolate...has a huge shopping malls and the toilet with the panaramic view doesn't open til 1400! Anymore than one day and well you'd be bored to be honest...even one day in Helsinki was, well, hard to fill! :unsure:

26-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Estonia/Finland
Latvia and Lithuania are next on the list...:w00t:

27-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Estonia/Finland
Jaykers - that's sounds like a mixed bag of stuff!

Particularly like the sound of the place with the laarge beers and men in tights. I'd probably be barred quite early in the evening though....:laugh:

bam bam
27-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Estonia/Finland
Tigereye Wrote:Jaykers - that's sounds like a mixed bag of stuff!

Particularly like the sound of the place with the laarge beers and men in tights. I'd probably be barred quite early in the evening though....:laugh:

I think I would have been kicked out for giggling over the musicians had my mate not dragged me out before they really got started:laugh: