Check out the Irish entry here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7262604.stm

Personally I think it's a bit of a turkey but what do I know about music :kid:

The ironic thing about life is that no one gets out alive...Huh
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Eurovision - Ireland must be proud
I;ve heard bits of it - it's almost like they DON'T want to win!!!! lol!

It reminds me of Father Ted and Dougal doing "My Little Pony" ... the scene in the bedroom with the Father Ted on guitar and the "bleeped" out swearing is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV!!!

It tickles me that Eurovison is still going and that "musicians" and "singers" actually seem to want to be part of it in a serious way!

Good on Ireland I say - give 'em douze point!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Hello Dolores,

No I don't think the vast majority of good singers or musicians want anything at all to do with this competition as every year for at least ten years now the show has been pure trash.

TV ratings for this show has also receded over the years and I would hope that eventually they should just put the songs on Youtube and allow a choice to be made on the basis of how many positive hits a track has had.

Maureen
Northern angel

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
02-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Northern angel Wrote:TV ratings for this show has also receded over the years

Are you sure? :unsure:

It's becoming more and more popular all over Europe, especially with the emerging countries taking part for thje first time.

Figures here are standing up too. Becoming slightly more fashionable to watch it with people I know (as long as you laugh at it! :w00tSmile

As for Dustin, I think it's absolutely brilliant. Wish we could have come up with something as good, but alas when we send crap stuff it's just crap crap, not funny crap!

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2008, 09:33 AM
I think it'll either bomb completely or do really well.

The countries that take eurovision seriously will be all high and mighty and insulted and won't vote for it, whereas Finland should give us douze pointes...

some of the lyrics are quite funny, but Dustin, god love him, hasn't a note in his head and shouts so you can't hear them...

it's a better effort than our last 5 years though..:angry:

bam bam
03-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Northern angel Wrote:Hello Dolores,

TV ratings for this show has also receded over the years....

No way is that correct! TV ratings for Eurovision have grown substantially since the 1970's. It's a very popular competition throughout most of Europe, and it is MASSIVE in Eastern Europe.

Personally, I love it. I watch it every year if I have nothing better to do. Some of those acts are an absolute riot. But it's cracking to watch just for Terry Wogan's commentary alone. The man just takes the p!ss out of it from beginning to end.
03-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Oh, I forget to say anything about Dustin's song.

It's dreadful. Like TE says, some of the lyrics are quite funny, but you can't hear them through all the shouting he does.

It does capture the Euro spirit very well! It reminds me of Finlands entry from two years ago. :w00t:

But, as everyone knows, Eurovision is not about the song. It's about the politics. Which is why Great Britain always does crap, because everyone hates us (apart from Ireland, who always give us 8/10 points because we are near neighbours).

Personally, I think Ireland are taking the **** a bit. They know its not really a singing competition, so they haven't entered a serious singer.
04-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Also having hosted it a dozen times I think they realise that the economy can well do without it

Mo... Just a quick google would have set you straight

Quote:
The Contest has been broadcast every year since its inauguration in 1956 and is one of the longest-running television programmes in the world. It is also one of the most-watched non-sporting events in the world,[2] with audience figures having been quoted in recent years as anything between 100 million and 600 million internationally.[3][4] Eurovision has also been broadcast outside Europe to such places as Australia, Canada, Egypt, Hong Kong, India, Jordan, New Zealand, South Africa, South Korea, Vietnam, and the United States, despite the fact that these countries do not compete.[5][6] Since the year 2000, the Contest has also been broadcast over the Internet,[7] with more than 74,000 people in almost 140 countries having watched the 2006 edition online.[8]

The wonderful world of Wiki

The ironic thing about life is that no one gets out alive...Huh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Things that make blokes proud of themselves... Seabreeze 2 794 25-04-2007 09:31 AM
Last Post: survivorfan
  Proud Parents floopy 33 1,870 14-03-2006 05:24 PM
Last Post: PJ
  Tubbs would be proud of me survivorfan 10 1,051 14-07-2005 08:53 PM
Last Post: Coastie