Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Euthanasia
10-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Euthanasia

Taken from Yahoo:-

As parliament returns from recess peers are set to discuss a bill to legalise euthanasia.

Lord Joffe, the peer behind the bill to make assisted suicide legal for the terminally ill, has said he may drop the most contentious parts in order to gain more backing.

At the weekend the Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams repeated his opposition to euthanasia despite watching his mother's slow, painful death.

Williams said he is still against assisted dying "chiefly on the grounds of my religious commitments, the conviction that life is a gift from God that we cannot treat as a possession of our own to keep or throw away as we choose".

Lord Joffe said he might amend his bill so that doctors could only help dying patients indirectly by prescribing lethal drugs, rather than administering the medicine themselves, he said.

The move could boost support for the bill amongst the medical community and other influential MPs and peers.

Earlier this year, the British Medical Association dropped its historic opposition to euthanasia when its members voted to adopt a neutral stance on the issue.

The government has said that it too has a neutral stance and will listen to the debate, as well as giving MPs and peers a free vote on any bill to come before them.

So - what are your views on this ? Im in favour of euthanasia. I have trouble putting exactly 'why' into words, but i would hate to have a debilitating illness, that meant i would be in constant pain and unable to help myself. Its the people who are my carers that i would feel most sorry for, as what kind of a life is it for them ?

I would rather i died with some dignity, and while i was able to make the decision for myself i.e., before the illness got so bad i couldnt communicate.

Having said that, i dont think we should bump people off willy nilly. There would have to be no doubt that the illness would become more severe over time, and not a curable thing.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Euthanasia
Doctor assisted suicide happens all the time, it just goes on quietly, behind closed doors.

Of course it should be legalised.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
10-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Euthanasia
I agree with everything Bons said. People should have the right to die with dignity and at their own choosing. If religious types object to euthenasia then fine - they don't have to take advantage of it themselves. But it's wrong for Rowan Williams to try to inflict his beliefs on other people.

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
10-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Euthanasia
I agree. We each have the right to make decisions about the quality of life we can endure - particularly without interference from religious leaders whose beliefs we may not subscribe to anyway.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
10-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Euthanasia
I agree with euthanasia - we put animals to sleep to ease their sufferings why not humans?

We have a right to die with dignity just as we have a right to live with dignity.

My mum isn't in the greatest of health just now and is half the woman she was 5 years ago. She has told me that she does not want to lie on a hospital bed suffering, tied up to machines and having us sitting round the bed.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
10-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Euthanasia
Your life, your choice.
10-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Euthanasia
Of course there is always the risk that the person asking to die isn't in the right frame of mind due to their illness.
But on the whole, I totally agree with euthanasia and would hope that someone would help me die if I had a debilitating, incurable disease.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
10-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Euthanasia
many many years ago when i was about 11 a friend of mine spoke about Euthanasia (she was very advanced and a right clever clogs!!) anyway the way she put it to me and me with the mind of an 11 year old got it into my head that Euthanasia was something that would be COMPULSORY at age 65 ...ill or not!!!! so for years and years the thought of being "put down" just cos you're 65 worried me immensley!

Now I'm older and a bit wiser I can see that under the right circumstances Euthanasia is a good and wise thing. Trouble is I personally think I would have trouble letting go of someone and giving the thumbs up (so to speak) to turning off the life support or whatever. But as I've never been in this situation I really don't know how strong I could be.

It must be terrrible to watch someone suffer at the last stages of cancer (for example) and not be able to help them, knowing that they can only die.

Groucho is right of course(!) they do gently let people "go".

Don't know if this is related, but I've always thought it is barbaric that if you say you want such and such patient to have no further intrusive treatment (and it's agreed) they withhold EVERYTHING including water .... I may have that wrong, I'm sure if I have someone will put me right.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
11-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Euthanasia
As one who has watched both my Mum and my Husband die with every shred of dignity stripped of them, in horrendous pain both mentally and physically, left memories that haunt me daily, and still give me nightmares....I took out a living will to demand that I be allowed to die when all hope was gone. There is no way on this earth that I want my kids to be left with those kind of memories of me (luckily they never saw their Dad in later stages as we weren't living in the UK).

I absolutely abhor treatment carrying on for someone who is terminal, has no hope other than to deteriorate even more, the mind is fully aware of what is happening to them and it shouldn't be that way.

I am all for it so long as it is 100% controlled and double checked

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Euthanasia Seabreeze 11 1,024 14-02-2006 12:31 PM
Last Post: JakeyBoy