Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever gone out foreign for Christmas shopping
05-12-2005, 03:35 PM

Jus wondering..has anyone ever gone abroad for their Christmas shopping?
Last year myself and some friends went to GLASGOW for a day of shopping.
It was the biz.
The flight cost 30cents ...plus taxes.
The train to the city centre was soooooooo cheap...and so direct.
They could'nt have made it easier for us.
We spent a few hours in some shopping centre...(cant' remember the name but their was a Sainsbury's shop near it, or beside it.We bought TONS of shortbread in the shape of christmas trees and santa's n' stuff there.Yum.
There was a bookshop nearby that ONLY had books about a)soccer..and b) cooking. :-))
We went to the Mackintosh restaurant/cafe for lunch..it was gorgeous.
Beautiful decor...and great value.
We had a stroll aroudn the city...then spent the last few hours in a great pub until it was time to catch the train back to the airport.
It was a long day...but it was great.
Met some really nice people and had a great laugh.
Has anyone else ever gone abroad to shop...how was it?

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Aondeag Wrote:We spent a few hours in some shopping centre...(cant' remember the name but their was a Sainsbury's shop near it, or beside it.
That'll be Buchanen Galleries.

I've never heard of Glasgow being referred to as "abroad" before. Makes me think I live somewhere exotic :closedeye

The only time I did some christmas shopping abroad was when I was in Canada....in June!
It was a Christmas shop that was opened all year round. Bought my Gran a nice little Christmas ornament Smile

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2005, 06:25 PM
I haven't been Christmas shopping abroad - but I have been shopping in Glasgow!! - and there's loads of great pubs!

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
05-12-2005, 07:08 PM
I have been to Glasgow shopping too, I suppose that does count as foreign terrority when you come from the sophisicated Edinburgh! :bag:

That said, I do think Glasgow is "miles" better in the shopping stakes in Edinburgh.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
05-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Bella Wrote:That said, I do think Glasgow is "miles" better in the shopping stakes in Edinburgh.
But your city is much nicer to look at, Bella, even if it is quite a pretentious place! Tongue :ninja:

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
05-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Mama Coastie did the German and two other neighbouring countries Christmas markets one year..came back with all sorts of tat...can't say it inspired me to want to try it and she said she probably wont bother doing it again although she enjoyed visiting new countries!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
05-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Coastie Wrote:Mama Coastie did the German and two other neighbouring countries Christmas markets one year..came back with all sorts of tat...can't say it inspired me to want to try it and she said she probably wont bother doing it again although she enjoyed visiting new countries!

Ooh, oh I forgot about that I went to Germany for Christmas one year! I loved the German market experienceand the gluewein (sp?)! It was over 10 years ago and my memory is not what it used to be!

05-12-2005, 10:51 PM
PJ Wrote:But your city is much nicer to look at, Bella, even if it is quite a pretentious place! Tongue :ninja:

Never a truer word spoken PJ! :laugh:

05-12-2005, 11:31 PM
I once did christmas shoping in Singapore in january for the next christmas. basically I just went mad and bought loads and loads of table cloths and cushion covers and watches and purses and t shirts and jewllery and shoes and decided that as everyone had already done well out of me at christmas I wouldn't give them as gifts from my travels (they'd all done pretty well out of that too) so saved them and they went down very well 11 months later and I was saved the stress of knowing what to get people.This year I only have one person to buy for but thats going to be hard.
If I had loads of money and loads of peope to buy for and loads of ideas I think A christmas shopping trip elsewhere would be wonderful especially if it was snowing.
Aondeag- I can't believe your flight was 30 cents! How mad is that!!!

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
06-12-2005, 10:45 AM
I've never heard of Glasgow being referred to as "abroad" before. Makes me think I live somewhere exotic :closedeye

Oh Thanks PJ..Buchannan Galleries...
HEY....I'm from Ireland.Glasgow is 'abroad' to me.

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Happy Christmas Saedhb 4 1,724 24-12-2009 02:23 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Christmas cupcakes jeryruse 2 1,285 17-12-2009 05:44 PM
Last Post: Mars
  Christmas spinach filo torte jeryruse 1 1,249 17-12-2009 12:59 PM
Last Post: jeryruse
  Tired of Christmas yet? karenh 8 2,048 28-12-2008 10:45 AM
Last Post: Buzz
  Merry Christmas Bonsai 8 2,033 27-12-2008 04:48 PM
Last Post: Seabreeze
  Christmas Parties Slipper 18 3,359 12-12-2008 01:45 PM
Last Post: Slipper
  A Christmas wish for you all! ~ils~ 11 2,815 02-01-2008 07:23 PM
Last Post: Tigereye
  The Christmas Rat Rob 1 1,329 11-12-2007 07:16 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Record your first sighting of domestic Christmas decorations here! Dolores 58 4,524 27-05-2007 05:23 AM
Last Post: Seabreeze
  Merry Christmas..ho Ho Ho! Coastie 9 1,689 26-12-2006 12:19 AM
Last Post: secrets