Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facts of Life!
25-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Facts of Life!

In chat on Friday, the Facts of Life were discussed and how young children should be when they are told about it.

So, how old do think is reasonable for children to know about The Facts and how old were you when you were told about it?

I don't think that children should be told too young, they are only little for a such a small time and I really don't think that there is any point in filling their heads with adult stuff until they are ready for it.

On the other hand I was told practically nothing from my parents, I knew the gist of what it was all about but only really got that from books and school (I had a fantastic Science teacher who took us through Section 6). My mum told me things like I came from a seed and all that.

If my kids asked anything I would tell them in simple, child-like terms - I did get the book "Mummy Laid An Egg" when I was pregnant with Abbie and it is a fab book but I wouldn't make the point of sitting them down for "the chat".

What are your views on it?

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Facts of Life!
I had a strict rule on this, keep it very, very simple and basic. You will know when your child is 'adult' enough to know more by the inevitable 'next question', and that comes from them all in time. Let them be the lead, but stick to honest simplicity - they will soon let you know they are thinking seriously about this, and your answers need to be more in depth.

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
Find all posts by this user
25-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Facts of Life!
My 11 year old son asked me what mastrubating meant a while ago ... a discussion prompted by Craig from Big Brother! I told him it was when you played with your willy and got a "funny" feeling! Then I gave him a book to read about it ... I think I've put him off doing it now if he equates it with something "in a book"!!!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
25-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Facts of Life!
Dolores Wrote:My 11 year old son asked me what mastrubating meant a while ago ... a discussion prompted by Craig from Big Brother! I told him it was when you played with your willy and got a "funny" feeling! Then I gave him a book to read about it ... I think I've put him off doing it now if he equates it with something "in a book"!!!

Beautifully done Dol - I like that! :laugh:

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
25-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Facts of Life!
I just answered truefully each question as it came up. And when they had sex education at school we always talked about what they had learnt, and I explained anything that they didn't quite understand.
25-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Facts of Life!
Well the school nurse was visiting my 10 year old daughters school to talk to the girls in her class about the facts of life so i decided to have a chat with her about it the night before, i tried my best to explain to her about periods to which she replied "Oh i don't think i will have that thanks" (as if she had a choice) Hee.
Then i went on to how babies are made, i laughed when she said" So you and daddy have done it twice, Eugh Gross"! :laugh:

I was just releived to get it over with, i was worried if i had'nt told her she may have passed out in class when the nurse told her!!!!

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
Benjamin Disraeli

[Image: ake.gif]
25-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Facts of Life!
I think my eldest was about 7 when he first asked about periods (he found some evidence). He was terrified of the sight of blood at the time, so I had to tell him that I wasn't bleeding because I had been cut and I then explained the menstruation side of it very simply. Then, as and when either of them asked questions, I answered them in terms I felt they could understand.

When Sonia in Eastenders was giving birth, they were watching it with me and asked me why it hurt so much. When I explained, my eldest (who also has a very low pain threshhold) just winced and said "why would anyone want to go through that!"

I have never given them "the talk", just answered questions as they arose. By the time they had the first sex-ed lesson at school, they knew most of it anyway.
25-09-2005, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2005 08:39 PM by PJ.)
Facts of Life!
Dolores Wrote:I think I've put him off doing it now if he equates it with something "in a book"!!!
Until he comes across certain other books... (excuse the pun!)

I was given 'the talk' by my dad when I was about 11 but it was nothing that my sister and cousins hadn't already told me!

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
25-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Facts of Life!
PJ Wrote:Until he comes across certain other books...

:sick: Bit graphic, Peej. :unsure:
25-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Facts of Life!
LOL - just edited it before I read your post Patsy :laugh:

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What's Your Theory on Life? tonee 31 4,632 11-11-2011 04:46 AM
Last Post: sarawang
  Do you encounter racism in everyday life? The Curmudgeon 18 2,963 16-10-2008 02:13 PM
Last Post: karenh
  Today on "The Life & Times of Pete Docherty"... PJ 5 932 17-05-2006 08:29 AM
Last Post: Bonsai
  This is your life (if you are a woman) mikado 14 1,805 09-03-2006 06:41 PM
Last Post: Fee For All
  Facts of life....when?? Crystal Lights 34 3,899 19-05-2005 07:43 PM
Last Post: Gelastic
  Newspapers toying with the facts Dolores 17 2,196 17-03-2005 07:33 PM
Last Post: mazwad