Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fastclick on SO
13-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Fastclick on SO

There's a dodgy ad that appears at the top of these pages saying 'congrats you've won a prize ...' which if I'm reading its 'properties' right is connected to a fastclick site. Isn't fastclick a piece of spyware - and if it is Haydon can you stop these dodgy ads as presumably clicking on one will screw up your PC? There's another one that says Press FART button - who on earth knows what that will put on my PC, but I know for sure my 6-yo has pressed it 'cos he told me he had.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2006, 12:15 AM
Fastclick on SO
Hello Survivorfan,

I've been getting these adverts for a while now, about three weeks. I just ignore them.

A BP drilling and engineers ad keeps popping up to, sometimes right in the middle of typing up a post.

The pop up blocker facility tells me how many pop ups it has stopped. But they do still keep appearing.

Maureen
Northern angel.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
14-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Fastclick on SO
Hello Survivorfan,

I also keep getting some very long winded posts popping up in the middle of threads, sometimes after every other post.

I've set my firewall to its highest setting, yet still they appear.

I've mentioned it to board admin, but I suspect someone is paying to put this stuff here.

Annyway, love to you all.
Groucho. P!ssed, bored, tired and very grumpy!

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
14-07-2006, 01:38 AM
Fastclick on SO
Groucho Wrote:Hello Survivorfan,

I also keep getting some very long winded posts popping up in the middle of threads, sometimes after every other post.

I've set my firewall to its highest setting, yet still they appear.

I've mentioned it to board admin, but I suspect someone is paying to put this stuff here.

Annyway, love to you all.
Groucho. P!ssed, bored, tired and very grumpy!
[Image: lgh (23).gif]

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
14-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Fastclick on SO
Northern angel Wrote:Hello Survivorfan,

I've been getting these adverts for a while now, about three weeks. I just ignore them.

A BP drilling and engineers ad keeps popping up to, sometimes right in the middle of typing up a post.

The pop up blocker facility tells me how many pop ups it has stopped. But they do still keep appearing.

Maureen
Northern angel.

I'm talking about ads that might put malware on my computer, I'm not worried about benign ones like BP unless they're in on the act as well. If Fastclick is using this site to download spyware that's a big problem, as I was under the impression it was only 'dodgy' sites that partook in that practice.

14-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Fastclick on SO
Hi SF,
The banners at the top of the pages in the light blue box (default boring skin) are served by ValueClick Media. ValueClick recently bought Fastclick to become the largest banner ad serving network (I think). Valueclick may have "plugged in" some Fastclick ads into the ones shown at the top there. Maybe?

I also have a Fastclick account which serves banners ads (some pop up) on other pages within the SO site. The original Fastclick agreement prohibited the display of Fastclick ads on forums/messageboards. Not sure what is what now the two companies are one and the same.

As far as I'm aware Fastclick or Valueclick do not distribute any dodgy spyware applications.
Spyware seems to be the phrase used freely nowadays for a multitude of things. What ValueClick and just about every other banner ad serving company use are cookies. They use cookies to track what adverts are being displayed (so you don't keep seeing the same ones too often) and what ones you click.
The threat posed by these "spying" cookies is minimal.

If however you want to prevent/block these cookies you should be able to be specifically list them in your Internet Options > Privacy settings.
Alternatively install an application like Spybot Search and Destroy - http://www.spybot.info/

NA - There shouldn't be ANY pop up ads in the forums. All the ads in the forums are either GoogleAds or Valueclick 468 x 60 ads. If you are getting anything else then you may have some sort of nasty on your pc.

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Fastclick on SO
Thanks for the advice Haydon.

This is what concerned me:

http://www.safer-networking.com/removeFastClick.php

14-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Fastclick on SO
Yes I agree, descriptions like that do look scary. However, I think they often go OTT (afterall, they want to sell you spyware software.)
You'll find contradicting info all over the net - http://www.aluriasoftware.com/index.php?...=fastclick
http://www.spywareremove.com/removeFastClick.html

Quite how they are able to get your personal info (name/address) is beyond me - unless you go to a Fastclick owned/operated site and physically type it in.
It seems as though the anti Spyware sites look at the privacy agreement of the Banner Ad companies and quote it as them nicking your personal info. What I think they seem to fail to realise is that the privacy notice is also aimed at web site owners who sign up to their service.... Webmasters who want to place ads on their own sites to make a little money. To sign up they have to enter their personal details (so the banner ad company can send the cheque... eventually). I believe it's that personal info that the ad company is taking and the info they are referring to in their privacy notice.

I know there are some unscrupolous sites out there grabbing all sorts of info, although getting personal details such as name and address is nigh on impossible unless you give it to them or a Trojan is used. I don't think Fastclick/Valueclick is one of them though.

I've been doing a bit of research and found this article: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/?p=840
basically a company that was using spyware and infecting users PC's with pop ups placed their advert in the Fastclick network. So when users clicked the advert they got taken to Mr Dogdy's site and then get infected. As soon as Fastclick realised they dropped the advert.

I guess the answer is not to click on any adverts that you don't like the look of.

Here's another link to useful info about cookies being described as Spyware: http://thundercloud.net/infoave/answers/larry-187.htm

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
19-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Fastclick on SO
I have to confess that I use Firefox's Adblock extension quite heavily. Consequently the only ads I see on Survivor Online are the Amazon ads.

Sorry!

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
19-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Fastclick on SO
Dont you find Firefox screws up the 3D graphics that Haydon has installed though Blink?

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"