Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fat Children = child abuse?
16-08-2005, 02:55 PM

DO you think that having a fat child, say under 12, is tantamount to child abuse?

Taking all the usual "gland" things aside - fat children usually come from fat parents and are fat because their parents do not feed them properly.

This just leads to an unhappy childhood and many associated problems so why is it so prevelant and should parents be confronted about this by schools?

What others think and say about you is none of your business. :ohmy:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2005, 03:12 PM
You know IOW, I do think that parents do have to take most of the blame if their child is overweight. A lot of parents today do not even know the basics of eating healthy themselves and think nothing of whapping a microwave meal in the oven, then let their little darlings pig out on crips while they play with their play-station. I think it is exercise that is also a big problem, too many kids get driven everywhere and are not allowed to burn off their energy. So yes, I do think it is a form of abuse.

However, I don't know if you watched a programme that was one a couple of weeks ago called "Will I Still Love My Mum"? It was about 2 little girls who needed a heart & Lung transplant as they both suffered from Cystic Fybrosis. You saw one of the girls get her transplant, now before her op she had no enery, was skinny and to put it blunt she was dying. This operation saved her life - the downside is that she is now on steroids which has made her put on weight. I know you said glands, and things aside - all I am saying is that when you see a "fat" kid it is maybe not all to do with their eating. If I was the parent of that little girl, I would just be happy that she was alive and living a normal life and it wouldn't worry me about her weight issue.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
16-08-2005, 05:09 PM
gosh! another interesting poser IoW!

It is negligent.

I watched a rather good programme about Fat Kids called Transformed last night. All the kids were overweight (obviously!) and they all came from overweight parents who even if they didn't want their child to be fat and unhappy still showed their love by "feeding them up".

It is very easy to reward good behaviour with chocolate or crisps or coke or a trip to McDonalds, and i doubt there are many parents who could hand on heart say they'd never taken that quick fix way out.

Dr Adam Carey (from Celebrity Fit Club) was there, he is SUCH a nice man, anyway he confronted the parents with the fact that they were killing their children. Which in a way is true, they are setting up bad habits for later life. To say nothing of the misery of being teased by other kids and not feeling attractive or confident.

Any type of neglect of kids is a form of abuse, whether it's cos you feed them too much or not enough ... but often if it manifests itself as something which society and popular culture find abhorrent (ie. obesity) then the parents are vilified. But for something which society and popular culture find acceptable (thinness) the parents neglect is rarely brought into question in quite the same finger pointing way.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
16-08-2005, 05:26 PM
If it's through neglect, then I suppose it is a form of abuse, but as Bella said, there could be other factors. My father was tall and slim, my mother short and slim, I was a gawky, gangly beanpole. We had a sensible diet and loads of exercise.

My brother?

:w00t: What.A.Porker.

He grew out of it when he hit puberty and became Mr Snake-hips.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
16-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Fee For All Wrote:Mr Snake-hips.

oohhhhhhhh h.e.l.l.l.l.l.loooooo!!:cool2:

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

16-08-2005, 06:40 PM
I think that it is cruel! I have struggled with my weight over the years after months on steroids in my 20's and then comfort eating in my late 20's, and even though I have dropped 4 dress sizes in the last 3 years, I would still like to loose more, however I was not a fat child or teenager!

My heart breaks when I see fat children with their fatter parents, as I have been on the receiving end of the jibes and jokes.....

Perhaps if all schools adapted to "Jamies" way and also bought back Home Economics to the curriculem then perhaps things would change...........

Since becoming a step mum I have changed the way I cook drastically, and I try to ensure that we all have "Five a Day", low fat and low sugar and salt, cooking as much as I can from scratch.....its blummin hard work when you are working full time too, but it can be done, there are no excuses and it often works out cheaper AND you know what you are eating!

I do have a weak spot for peanut M&M's and toffee popcorn though Blush

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
16-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Dolores Wrote:It is very easy to reward good behaviour with chocolate or crisps or coke or a trip to McDonalds, and i doubt there are many parents who could hand on heart say they'd never taken that quick fix way out.

Your right it is an easy way out if children think about treats as those sort of things. But it goes back to basics and also the manufacturers. I can, hand on heart say that I don't, I really don't, I don't reward children with food - to me food is a necessity and not a treat. A blissful necessity but not a treat.

To me and my children a treat is an extra hour out of bed, or a snuggle up on the sofa [well the eldest would rather slit his throat than do that - but maybe an extra hour on the pc].

I don't blame parents with overweight children if the parents do not understand and realise what they are doing - I do, however, if they know exactly what they are doing for an easy life. So to those parents who feed their children take-aways more often than a homecooked tea/lunch - then yes I do blame them [barring all medical reasons, of course] for their child being overweight.

It is the parents who have spent some time in ignorance and fed their children rubbish and their child is fat - and then realise the error of their ways - having to redress the balance is a hard and uphill struggle.

Because what you have never had you do not miss - if you have had lots of it and liked it, being denied it is hard!!

16-08-2005, 06:57 PM
I try very very hard not to reward my son with food treats but I'm not saying I havent' ever!

In fact I go out of my way NOT to reward him with food. I often struggle to think of something non foodie and non expensive to reward him with though! So he often goes unrewarded except for a hug ... which he hates ... or sometimes money which he loves more and more with each passing day!!

Fortunately my son is not overweight although he could do with some more exercise . .. and at least he's not like some of these kids where you can see their rib cage and shoulder blades, or like others where a walk upstairs puffs them out.

...omg ... I've just realised he's perfect!!!!!!!!!! :bag: (be quiet Max!)

oooh must share my sister in law's fave joke ....

Lady: you're son is spoiled

Dad: no he isn't

Lady: yes he is a tractor just ran him over!!!!

lol!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
16-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Flip Wrote:oohhhhhhhh h.e.l.l.l.l.l.loooooo!!:cool2:

Actually... he lives up your way :w00t:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
16-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Fee For All Wrote:Actually... he lives up your way :w00t:

Oh shush!! :w00t:

No don't shush point me in the right direction ... :whistling

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Children & "optional" surgery Seabreeze 3 846 12-10-2007 10:07 AM
Last Post: Tigereye
  Ridiculous Child Seat Laws Groucho 11 1,460 28-09-2006 05:09 PM
Last Post: Sammboelyn
  Sickness Days An Abuse Of An Employers Generosity? Northern angel 73 4,994 24-06-2006 03:52 PM
Last Post: Isis
  How many children should the state support? Northern angel 9 1,181 17-03-2006 09:55 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Women & Children First.......or should it? Bella 10 1,600 07-09-2005 07:03 AM
Last Post: JakeyBoy
  Designer children maxine 15 2,099 18-08-2005 01:40 PM
Last Post: Buzz