Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Father's to be given 6 month leave.
10-10-2005, 03:09 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4325742.stm

What do you think of this? Should new fathers be given 6 months leave? How would small companies cope?

I don't think many fathers would take up this as it is 6 months unpaid, could many families who have probably lost the mother's income cope with losing the father's as well?

From a personal point of view and some may think selfish, I don't know if I could have hacked it having Mr B around for 6 months. I reckon I would have divorced him.........if I had in fact been married to him that is! :laugh:

So, here we go again the Government spending time and money putting these reports together that just make them look good but in theory just won't work!

And who ends up doing all the work while the father is off for 6 months, the colleagues who don't have children? Cue - resentment!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Bella Wrote:How would small companies cope?

Erm, presumably the same way they do when a woman at a small company takes 6 months maternity leave..... :unsure:

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
10-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Groucho Wrote:Erm, presumably the same way they do when a woman at a small company takes 6 months maternity leave..... :unsure:

Yeah, ok smart-ar$e, just say the pregnant woman is off on the leave and then the new father wants his 6 months off - the small company has then lost 2 members. Small companies struggle when the materntiy issue comes along, as they can't advertise for new staff until the woman on maternity leaves hands in her notice officially. It would hit them hard although they wouldn't be paying a salary for 6 months they still need to get the workload done.

10-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Bella, the proposed paternity leave is to give couples the choice of who returns to work...

Quote:The six months paternity leave could only be taken only if the child's mother has returned to work.

Part of the admin 'nightmare' will be about checking if this is indeed the case, similar to the current arrangements for flexible working.

As for firms beig without key workers, like Groucho said, this happens anyway. Personally, I think if people want a career AND a family, they should make their own arrangements.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
10-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Bella Wrote:Yeah, ok smart-ar$e
:w00t:

Oh, I see, you mean the parents both work at the same company.

I guess a degree of common sense would have to prevail, wouldn't it.

I do agree with your "nanny state" comments though, looks good, but makes **** all difference to 99% of the population who cant afford to take advantage of it?

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
10-10-2005, 03:49 PM
The leave is unpaid so it's pretty useless to the vast majority of families. As Fee says, it sounds a bit of a bureaucratic nightmare for he employer, what with having to check if the mother is also using her additional six months.

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
10-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Fee For All Wrote:Bella, the proposed paternity leave is to give couples the choice of who returns to work...

Part of the admin 'nightmare' will be about checking if this is indeed the case, similar to the current arrangements for flexible working.

As for firms beig without key workers, like Groucho said, this happens anyway. Personally, I think if people want a career AND a family, they should make their own arrangements.

Ah, I see, so the father would have 6 months off whilst the mother went back to work, sorry I should have read it properly! I know there are some fathers who do take on that role, we have one on here don't we? I can't see many fathers wanting to take that option though. And it would only be if you were extremely well-off since the leave is unpaid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Compassionate Leave Bonsai 33 3,303 18-12-2006 12:17 AM
Last Post: Northern angel
  Should a father be at the birth of their baby? maxine 105 5,489 04-04-2006 02:34 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  Should an estranged father walk his daughter down the aisle? Bella 12 1,711 10-10-2005 09:16 PM
Last Post: Bella