Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite childhood games - What were yours?
10-11-2004, 11:34 AM

This was inspired by the Buckaroo thread in the gaming section, although I am thinking here more of street/playground games rather those of the indoor board variety.

I lived in a cul-de-sac alongside lots of families with children around my own age and we were lucky enough to have a square of grass (grandly referred to as 'The Green') in front of the houses where we could all play. I remember learning to ride my bike on that green, the bigger kids running alongside holding up the bike until I could balance it myself. I always wanted a chopper bike but never got one so had to be happy with having 'backies' round the green on the back of my friend Angela's. We played a lot of ball-games out there too, rounders and cricket were always popular and for two weeks every summer we developed an overwhelming interest in playing tennis, though this had to be played in the road and required us to have 'lookouts' who would bellow when a car came up the road. We also had lots of hay fields around us where we would go to make 'camps' out of the cut hay and climb the trees.

One of my most overriding memories of the school playground is a habit we had of walking around in a line shouting 'Who wants to play (insert whatever game?) NO boys! This lasted for the whole of the break time so that you had to start again next break, very rarely did we actually get to play the game we were supposedly recruiting for! Skipping games were high on the list too, as well as French skipping, involving lots of elastic bands threaded together to make a rope that two friends would be pressed into streching round their ankles so that you could jump and weave all sorts of complicated patterns in between them.

I'm sure there's loads more that I've forgotten.

What did you play?
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Kiss chase!!

I also use to spend hours chucking a ball up against the back of the house singing little songs.

I used to have maggot races with my Dads maggots for fishing too
Find all posts by this user
10-11-2004, 04:05 PM
Oh I remember doing that french skipping to Voicey, didn't realise it was called that though.

At school I always remember British Bulldog being played.

At home me and my brother used to have a grand national style race with bouncee hoppers, I loved that.
And when it was that really hot summer in the late 70's I'll never forget getting the hose pipes out and having water fights over the fence with the kids next doorSmile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Run outs!

Anyone remember that? Was always better in the winter when it got dark early.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
10-11-2004, 05:23 PM
kick the bucket!

Basically you have one or two people who are "it"...and the rest run and hide. They try to catch you while you try to sneak closer to a bucket that is in a designated area....if any of the ones hiding can kick the bucket without getting tagged, then whoever is "it" loses...if they tag everyone without anyone getting to the bucket...then he/she/they win.

Also fort building was always fun. We used to get old scraps of wood and nails and build forts in the trees of the forest behind a friend's house. We made some pretty cool forts for being 8 or so at the time.
10-11-2004, 05:38 PM
I too used to spend ages juggling two balls against the garage singing songs..which I am racking my brians trying to remember.

I grew up on a new estate where building was still going on so my playground was the site, used to make great dens out of the wooden roof timbers, the eldest in the gang got the middle biggest room. We used to go into the half built houses and collect the silver 'coins' from the plug sockets.

Also jumping from the scaffold onto piles of sand. But the best of all was waiting till the builders had finished smoothing off say a concrete drive....then running across it at top speed. There are a few drive ways were I used to live with my little foot prints on it!!

Other outdoor games, were clackers, Jacks and the infamous YoYo craze of the 70's.

:laugh:
10-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Groucho Wrote:Run outs!

Anyone remember that? Was always better in the winter when it got dark early.

I don't think I have ever heard of it.... what did you do?

I remember all the skipping games, it, clackers, marbles, jacks, yo-yo's and of course kiss chase :wub:
10-11-2004, 05:46 PM
I always loved "Hide-and-go-seek" but used to take it too far and hide in the most bizzare places imaginable.

Also, at primary school, we used to play "Kiss, Cuddle or Torture". Basically, the girls used to chase us about the playground and if they caught us we had to choose our fate. A kiss meant a big smacker on the lips, a cuddle was just a cuddle and if you were brave enough to go for torture, they would beat the s*** out of you.
Ooh I remember the days of pretending to stumble just so the wonderful Rebecca Hilton would catch me and I would choose 'kiss' :wub:
It ended us being banned...

And occasionally I would play "Chappie" - the old rendition of chapping someones door then running away, until one day I was caught and marched home to my mum :ranting:

Ahh, to be young again :closedeye

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
10-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Groucho what are 'run outs' please?

Blimey Cat, I remember those clacker things, they were blummin lethal. I had a pretty lilac pair, my Mum maintained however that you could 'Have someone's eye out' with them and I don't think they lasted long.

Ball games against a wall were also popular in our playground, names I remember are: 'Queenio, Queenio who's got the ball-io (I know, but I didn't invent the name!) and L.O.N.D.O.N We also played 'What's the time Mr Wolf' and varying forms of 'Tag'

Cat jumping off scaffold reminds me that we used to collect mown hay from the field and pile it up under the tree, then jump from the tree into it. How no one ever broke their legs I will never know!
10-11-2004, 06:08 PM
We used to play a game of chase at middle school. A boy gang against a girl gang...who ever was caught was debagged..skirt or trousers. But the girls never lost it was always the blokes. It was great fun, very exciting untill one of the wimpy boys complained to mummy and we all had to see the headteacher, it got banned. Boo.

I remember catching thousands of sticklebacks in the stream.

Oh sweet nostalgia. :wave:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What is your favourite TV programme at the moment? Northern angel 15 2,093 03-04-2008 03:24 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  What is your favourite ever chocolate bar or sweetie? jaycee 31 2,002 25-09-2005 04:27 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  It's Spring! (well, for me it is) But what's your favourite season? Voice of reason 24 1,758 01-09-2005 09:36 PM
Last Post: mazwad
  What Was Your Favourite Age? Patsy 23 1,351 25-05-2005 06:39 AM
Last Post: karenh
  Whats your favourite Time? Cat 36 1,913 20-05-2005 07:16 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  Whats your favourite crisp flavour? Cat 27 2,063 20-05-2005 06:56 PM
Last Post: Mars
  Whats your favourite Pie filling? Cat 20 1,364 20-05-2005 05:11 PM
Last Post: Cat
  Whats your favourite colour? Cat 18 1,454 20-05-2005 05:11 PM
Last Post: dab
  Whats your favourite Crisp Flavour? Cat 2 466 14-05-2005 04:23 PM