Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fear of heights
28-11-2004, 12:37 AM
Fear of heights

I don't think I have a particular fear of heights outside of anything that would actually be an unsafe situation

However, I'm a little confused having seen Natalie. Even strapped into a safety harness I think my heart would beat a little faster, had I attempted to cross a gorge with nothing but two slim wires and a shopping trolly for support. Wrose still would be having to walk backwards along the same wires without seeing where I was putting my feet.

The bridge, on the other hand, seemed relatively harmless and safe in comparison. I've no doubt it was of a sturdy construction and short of launching herself over the side which would take a good deal of effort, there was little chance of Natalie coming to any harm.

If you have a phobia about heights, I was wondering whether it is the sheer distance from the ground that causes the problem. After all you're just as likely to become a fatality if you fall from 200 feet or 2000 feet.

It just doesn't seem to add up where Natalie is concerned unless I'm missing something.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2004, 12:44 AM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2004 12:48 AM by jgee73.)
Fear of heights
you are so right Nox .... not being the center of attention is the only real fear she has! ... how can her 'phobia' get worse with all the de-sensitisation she's been having .... how many times has she been across that bridge now? Phobias are real and I am not belittling anyone with real fears; a real phobic would have reduced anxiety once they realized they weren't going to plunge to their death after doing the thing they fear the most several times! Nats a drama queen,:mad1: end of story.
Find all posts by this user
28-11-2004, 12:48 AM
Fear of heights
I am not good with heights at all and I would find the bridge very difficult to cross although I am sure I could do it without making too much fuss. But there is no way I would have done that trial, for me even with the harness it would be one step to far.
28-11-2004, 12:52 AM
Fear of heights
well i watched this with somone who fears heights the bridge moves/sways more than the wire, she also had a safety harness on for the wire which would be reassuring. If she put a scarf on and blinkered herself so she only saw the walkway on the bridge not the sides it apparently might be easier.
Even the London eye was terrifying for my friend.
28-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Fear of heights
sheoque Wrote:Even the London eye was terrifying for my friend.

I found the London eye frightening - I ended up sitting in the middle.... and that is an enclosed pod.....
28-11-2004, 01:04 AM
Fear of heights
I'm sure I wouldn't be too great with those heights in such exposed conditions either, but with repitition, doesn't it get easier .... or does it depend on the circumstances? I don't know. With Nat, if she didn't cry and collapse about everything, I'd feel more sympathetic about this 'fear'.
28-11-2004, 01:25 AM
Fear of heights
She managed to cross the bridge going to the Bug Challenge, with barely a squeak, then milked it by collapsing into a quivering heap when she got to the other side. You could sense Sophie's urge to boot her up her bony backside to get her moving ...... :laugh:
28-11-2004, 11:36 AM
Fear of heights
I dont understand how Natalie made it over the bridge without much bother to go to the bug btt but refused point blank to go back that way. Maybe she just didnt want to arrive back in the camp with Sophie as she had done so much better than her. If she arrives alone then the attention is instantly shifted back onto her. I'm not convinced by this fear of heights at all.
28-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Fear of heights
The only thing I'm convinced of is that while she's successfully fooling her fellow campers into believing this is her worst nightmare, it's actually her dream come true!
28-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Fear of heights
Natalie just loves everyone to feel sorry for her. However she can get attention, she does. If she doesn't have to do a BTT, she starts a fight with Sophie. I can't wait to see what happens when there's no BTT and no Sophie. Perhaps she'll have to resort to pretending she's been attacked by a wild animal, or maybe start a lesbian affair with Janet. Who knows?