Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Film4 - Freeview
23-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Film4 - Freeview

I was reading Bonnie's thread about True Movies and I, too, like a good afternoon movie (or 2).

I usually watch the ones on Channel 5 and can mostly enjoy one out of the 2 that they offer in the afternoon (but not always, especially westerns and war films or Colombo etc). I always feel a bit guilty when I like both of them. I feel guilty watching TV all afternoon :ninja:

Anyway, getting to the point Blush Amidst a great deal of trumpet blowing it was announced ages ago that Film4 would now be available on Freeview. They cut the Big Brother all day livefeed to make way for it but it was well before it started, which was quite annoying.

Now it's started all I can say is what a flipping let-down!! As it had been a pay to view thing I was expecting something really good but so far it's been really disappointing, in my opinion. I'm sure they promised us some of the more recent films and what do we get? So far, nothing that I've been even remotely interested in. Today, for example, is Cleopatra (how old?) which I'm sure was on over the weekend because I watched about the last half hour of it (could it have been on another channel I wonder?) Film4 doesn't start til 3 pm either.

I prefer the selection on TCM but that's a tease. The films are advertised all day but as a Freeview customer I can only get it from 7 pm onwards. It's really frustrating when they have something on that I'd like to watch but it's before 7 pm so no chance. You'd think they would rotate them but they don't seem to.

I sent an email to TCM and asked why I can't watch earlier than 7 pm on Freeview and got a really snotty reply which said "as we are not associated with Freeview I suggest you take it up with them". :shocking: I suppose they're saying that Freeview have only bought the right (or bandwidth) to show their films from 7 pm! They didn't have to be so rude about it did they?

I suppose the answer is to get Sky, but I've never really hankered after it because I don't watch that much TV to justify the cost.

Anyway, that's my grumble for the day Smile

So, what do you think of Film4? Do you think it's any great shakes? Obviously we all have different likes and dislikes so maybe it's just me?
Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Film4 - Freeview
It has been bluddy disappointing so far Mr M loves films and hasn't yet found one on there he has wanted to watch.

They do repeat them through the week so if the ever show something worthwhile at least you get a chance to catch it.

I prefer to read so it doesn't bother me other than hearing the snatches of different programmes as he flicks around trying to find something to watch.
I find that so annoying, pick up the tv guide for christs sake thats why they print them.:evilmad:
Find all posts by this user
23-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Film4 - Freeview
Big Grin Know what you mean about the channel hopping Maz, although I do it sometimes when I'm too lazy to look it up :ninja:

I'm glad it's not just me that finds Film4 a disappointment.
24-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Film4 - Freeview
We have sky with all the film channels but everytime I looked at what was on film 4 it always seemed better and more exciting but since it is now free it is just full of old films and cr ap. Very disappointing and have now stopped looking at what is on
24-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Film4 - Freeview
I never understood why anyone would pay for Film4 in the first place as the films shown are often very old and i have watched them loads anyway.

I havent watched any films on there since it became free. I see it advertised a lot - and they have been plugging 'Saturday Night Fever' with John Travolta :blink: This film was released 30 odd years ago !!!

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Film4 - Freeview
I've watched a fair few films on Film4 - maybe that's means I'm easily impressed? Wink

My kids enjoyed watching the Japanese animated films running each afternoon a week or two ago.

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
26-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Film4 - Freeview
I've enjoyed watching the Film 4 channel since it's become free.

I know they aren't going to put on alot of the films they used to when they were an extra pay channel.
But now it means I can catch up on a lot of films I've wanted to see but haven't.

I've not been to the cinema for years and we don't get Sky movies, so I really haven't seen that many movies recently.

The other week I watched 'The Green Mile', I've got to catch the film that they have been showing lately 'Road To Perdition' and also missed the other week (although again will probably be repeated) 'Being John Malcovich'

They are films that have been out a while, but as I say, gives me a chance to catch up with them.

[Image: 429.gif]
01-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Film4 - Freeview
I have yet to watch anything on film four yet since I've already seen the films they've been showing a zillion times already or they are simply pants...most dissapointing!Sad

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
03-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Film4 - Freeview
We've watched a few, no real complaints, and their broadcasting schedule is what they said it would be so you can't really moan that they're not keeping to it.

Even if there are only two films showing a week we'd record and watch, that's better than nothing.

Like Andrea, find it handy to catch up with films we've missed. Mrs SF never saw Clockwork Orange so we'll DVD it this week.

Some of their films are a bit 'fringe' so maybe unlikely to appeal to the more middle of the road film watcher, and you can't expect much interest from viewers who are still narked that they lost their Big Brother live stream to it.

Still, the other freeview channels often show movies too, all in all we don't do too badly for films, and film four can only add to that.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
07-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Film4 - Freeview
I agree with Survivorfan,i usually have about one film on filmfour set to record per week.

The fims may be old but the ones they have on about 9 are usually good. I have never seen the godfather films, but now thanks to filmfour theyre there on my sky+ ready to watch when i get the time.

plus they had that studio ghibli season a few weeks ago which was good. all japanese anime crazy stuff i liked it!