Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish
05-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Fish

Some of you might remember that a couple of years ago, we bought an acquarium. We stocked it with exotic fish and gazed at it in wonder for about a month.

Then the novelty wore off.

Anyone who has owned fish will know that they ain't as low maintenance as they pretend to be. They stink. Their filters need regular cleaning and they hum like a sewer (which is exactly what they are really), the glass collects algae and needs cleaning on a frequent basis and their food stinks. You can't stroke them or play with them and they don't make you laugh.

As pets, they suck bigtime.

Frankly, we've spent the last two years waiting for them to die. And today, the last one did!

PARTY TIME!!!!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Fish
sounds like you got the really happy cells charged what with celebrating the demise of your fish and turfing out Bluey.

Did you neglect the fish as well?

Why dont you use the fish tank to house snakes. Much more your style.

Have to agree about fish as pets though

The ironic thing about life is that no one gets out alive...Huh
05-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Fish
Slipper Wrote:sounds like you got the really happy cells charged what with celebrating the demise of your fish and turfing out Bluey.

I know. I think I shall change my name to Cruella de Ville. Much more suited I think.

Slipper Wrote:Did you neglect the fish as well?

No! Believe it or not, I nurtured them fastidiously. Fed them regularly, cleaned their stinking filter and changed their water. I knew that a couple of drops of bleach in their water would rid me of them, and I'll admit that the idea was tempting, but I never had the heart to do it.

I hated the fish, but I couldn't bring myself to actively kill them. Trust me, I wouldn't have had them for two years if I had.
05-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Fish
We`ve kept fish for years and have had no problem with them. The filter gets cleaned about twice a year and we have loaches and pleks that help keep the glass clean and apart from when we clean them there is no smell at all.

We had 2 large angel fish that had great pesonalities and would follow your finger when you moved it across the glass and they used to swim right to the front when they saw you enter the room. I was gutted when we lost the male a few months ago. We have a coolie which we only see when the weather is going to be bad and we have a red tailed shark who rules the roost over the rest of them all.
05-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Fish
Seabreeze Wrote:We had 2 large angel fish that had great pesonalities

Huh :mellow: :unsure:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Fish
Figaro Wrote:I knew that a couple of drops of bleach in their water would rid me of them, and I'll admit that the idea was tempting

Oh, don't tempt me!! We have two left and have to say they are getting neglected! I haven't fed them in ages, so I only hope that someone else in the family is! In fact I think that's how we managed to lose the others, they started eating each other!

I blame you though Karen H! I was sucked in with you saying how wonderful they were and I fell for it hook, line and blooming sinker

I have even felt tempted to put the whole lot with the fish included onto Freecycle, someone would take them wouldn't they? Or I wonder how much they fetch on E-bay?

Anyway we need to make room for hamster (dear God, what I am letting myself in for), as we have promised the girls they can have one.

.................now where do we keep the bleach.................

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
05-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Fish
Bella Wrote:I blame you though Karen H! I was sucked in with you saying how wonderful they were and I fell for it hook, line and blooming sinker
[align=right]

Well, you can't blame me Bella. T'aint fair.

I know I was the first on the forum to buy fish from new, and they were enchanting. And I know I gushed about them a bit.

Then Sharky got on the bandwagon and extolled their virtues even further as a long-time fish owner....

But, by the time I realised that the fish were in fact a massive white Elephant, it was too late. You'd already gone and bought your bluddy fish. You and Tigger.

I probably should feel guilty, but somehow, I don't. I do feel your fish pain though, and I hope it passes soon.

Long live a fish free existence.
05-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Fish
Hahaha..

Yep, we went down the 'fish route' several years ago with Sam, who was adamant he wanted a fish tank for his birthday, we tried to talk him out of it, but no.

So, wearily we bought the things and set it up in his bedroom, I think he was pretty much over them by the third tank clean out. Anyway, they plodded on for a while but were a short lived addition to the family and as parents we got to say "I told you so"

So it wasn't all bad :wink2:
05-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Fish
Voice of Reason Wrote:Hahaha..

Anyway, they plodded on for a while but were a short lived addition to the family and as parents we got to say "I told you so"

So it wasn't all bad :wink2:

But, did it last two years though?

I'll bet not.

We seemed to have bought the most hardy and sustainable fish know to man - we refer to them as Pesci's - in Italian it means fish, but pronounced the way we do it (pesky), it means 'nuisance'. Which is what they were.
05-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Fish
Figaro Wrote:I know I was the first on the forum to buy fish from new, and they were enchanting. And I know I gushed about them a bit.

I quite distinctly remember telling you they ain't all that - but would you listen? oh no! and now like Voice I get the pleasure of "I told you so"!

I'm sure I've said before but many moons ago as two young whipper snappers living in London me and Maxine had two goldfish and one got really poorly and seemed to "snap" his back so he was shaped like a little boomerang - bless him he kept swimming round in circles!! anyway one night we came back from a few shandies too many and spotted him dead in the tank so we flushed him down the toilet - no ceremony, no nuffink - when we woke up and saw a dead fish in the tank with a "snapped" back - we realised we'd sent his perfectly healthy chum down to the great U-bend of a water grave!

fish - if they ain't covered in batter don't bother is my motto!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I hate my fish.... karenh 27 2,318 27-08-2005 08:19 PM
Last Post: Patsy
  Fish Question Bella 4 1,040 26-05-2005 04:47 PM
Last Post: Gelastic
  Another Fish Question............. Bella 5 891 30-11-2004 03:38 PM
Last Post: Bonsai
  Advice needed - yet another Fish thread! karenh 14 1,750 22-11-2004 11:10 PM
Last Post: karenh