Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flea help
07-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Flea help

Help! I was just happily lying in bed when I realised there was a flea nibbling on my arm...little sod got away and I can't find him.

I have no idea how a flea got in my bed, I don't have any pets, I can only think that I went to visit someone a couple of days ago who has quite a few pets, and that I bought it back and it's been lurking ever since. I have had a few bites but it didn't occur they were flea bites.

Any ideas on how I can get rid of it, or how long before it will die - I don't mind a few more bites if I know it's going toe up in a couple of days, but otherwise I have to get rid asap or I will be literally covered, I'm very prone to being bitten.

Any advice appreciated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Flea help
This looks useful - the light and soapy water seems successful!

Good luck :bored:

You could always try showering regularly

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
07-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Flea help
Thanks for the link Fee

But here's some bad rep for the other...

Pssst - Fee's a complete slapper!
08-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Flea help
*****snigger*****

Isn't Fee sooo helpful Samm?? Her and her defcon websites.:pimp:

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
08-10-2006, 06:50 AM
Flea help
Adult fleas cannot survive or lay eggs without a blood meal, but may live from two months to one year without feeding. If you have no pets then flea spray for carpets from the supermarket and plenty of hoovering will soon have it sorted.
08-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Flea help
Thanks Seabreeze, I have been cleaning all day so hopefully that will sort it. The only place there's any carpet in this house is in my little boys room and I'm not keen on putting flea spray in there so hopefully a good vacuum will suffice. My bedroom has never been this clean before!
09-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Flea help
Hello Sammboelyn,

Fleas spend 5% of their life on a pet host. The rest they spend living on your soft furnishings and in your carpets. They can also live in between the cracks of tiled floors. Flea eggs can lie dormant for decades steam cleaning hatches them,

If you have no pets than your worries are limited to your home soft furnishings and floors. ZODIAC is nearly 10 pounds a tin but it does kill fleas, eggs and flea lavrae. It is odourless and protects your home for 12 months.
So if you intend revisiting your friend and you return with more fleas they will die as soon as they try to live in your furnishings or carpets once treated.

MAUREEN
NORTHERN ANGEL.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
09-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Flea help
Be careful Sam as fleas multiply .... and if you dont tackle it now you will be infested. Ive been there.

When i first got my cats i brought them home, looked down and their fur was crawling. If course by this time my house would be full of them.

Supermarket sprays are useless. You need to buy proper stuff from the vets (like NA said). Its expensive - but not as expensive as getting a professional in.

Fleas like to live in your furnishings, so your sofa, bed and carpets are ideal breeding grounds. If you buy spray, make sure you spray under the radiators as they love the warmth. Also spray around the edge of all your carpets - get the cushions off the sofa and do there, and spray the bed.

I would suggest you get the little one out of the house when you are spraying as it is horrid stuff.

I know when we were infested we bought an odd can, and it didnt work. We ended up buying 12 cans in one hit and blasting the f*ckers. We also bought a 'flea catcher' which you plug in. The pad heats up and encourages the fleas to jump on it. They then get stuck on the pad and cant move away .... and die.

Good luck.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
09-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Flea help
It must be da wedder or summat but Jordan go fleas last week for the first time in 3-4 years and I'm covered in bites. Did the borac powder shennanigans and he was clear but forgot his favourite hangout - a rug outside the back door - and within a day he was crawling again.

I too now have a nice tidy vaccumed home [and urk is knackered :devil: I don't DO hoovering]...and a clear mutt - for now...

bam bam
09-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Flea help
Thanks everyone, well hopefully I got the little monester yesterday because I don't think I've got any new bites this morning. If I do get any more though I'll follow the advice here and put a stop to them promptly!