Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food & Travel - National Dishes etc...
11-04-2006, 10:32 AM

What food do you or don't you recommend people try when they visit a particiular part of the world?

What foods would you like to try but haven't had the chance yet?

...and any other foody facts do you want to offer...:eat:

For those in the know include drinks aswell! :wine:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2006, 10:39 AM
When in Spain I ate Paella (can't spell it but it's that rice and seafood dish) and drank Sangrhia (again my spelling is pants) throughly enjoying both!

In Uganda I ate peanut sauce and drank really sweet black tea and didn't particularly enjoy either. :unsure:

In Italy I ate pizza, pasta and ice cream - yummy!

During my travels in the states I am looking to eat and drink the food and drinks of each of the states I pass through...

For instance:

New York - Long Island Iced Tea and a Manhatten to wash down a Club Sandwich!

Kentucky - Fried Chicken

Mississippi - Mud Pies

Georgia - Peaches

L.A. erm...Mineral water!

If anyone knows of any drinks and foods relating to any of the states in America I would love to hear about them! :wink2:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
11-04-2006, 02:05 PM
I tried a kangaroo steak in Australia. It was very nice indeed.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
11-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Remember the wonderful Alioli (garlic mayonaise) in Spain that they served with bread at the beginning of the meal. Bought some at home and it never tasted quite the same.
Find all posts by this user
11-04-2006, 06:46 PM
French bread tastes better in France than anywhere else!

The stuff you buy over here just doesn't compare.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
11-04-2006, 08:17 PM
By the same token, do Dutch Caps fit better in Holland?
11-04-2006, 10:10 PM
There's no way of telling Patsy. They only put fingers in dykes in Holland.

Back on topic...I was once felled by some Korean Kimchi. Avoid at all costs.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
12-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Beruit
Avoid
Raw chopped liver with cooked fat and mint leaves wrapped in flat bread - dunno what it's called but I don't even recall having more than one mouthful.

It should be pointed out that when I went there it was just months after the ceasefire and there was very little power and therefore little refrigeration possible.

Beruit
Try
Everything but the raw chopped liver
12-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Fee For All Wrote:Back on topic...I was once felled by some Korean Kimchi. Avoid at all costs.

Oooh but there are something like 35 different types of Kim Chi, I got addicted to a couple of them.

In Mexico there are lots of street stalls selling pineapple slices. If you say nothing, they give you the slice ladelled with chili powder. I always asked for it "sin chile", ie no chile, but I was slow one day and got my slice covered with chile powder. Now, a couple of years later, I NEVER eat pineapple without chili powder! Its a sweet and sour thing, the tastes are perfectly complimentary - brilliant.

Japan: Went to someone's sayonara dinner (leaving Japan) and they ordered some fishy thing that came in a little pot about the size of a shot glass (US$ 100!!!). I only smelled it and it was one of the most disgusting things I have ever smelled and almost retched (no..didn't try eat any). There is a name for it, but can't remember it. But anyway, avoid the "mega expensive smelly rotten fish dish". Basically, just avoid everything expensive on the menu...its a "speciality" and only for the masochistic (in wallet and experience).

Mexico again: Buy a sandwich and it almost always has jalepeno peppers in. Now I carry my own supply to add to sandwiches wherever I am. Yum yum, especially with tuna sandwiches.

Thailand: Fishcakes...yum.

Cambodia: Any street soup vendor. Costs about 10p and better than anything I could find in restaurants.

Cambodia again: A "happy pizza". Most pizza restaurants offer happy, extra happy and mild "happy pizzas". Eat an extra happy one and you will be blitzed for about 12 hours. Totally legal (but I heard a story about Cambodia where a guy asked for "an AK47, 100 rounds, an extra happy pizza, waitress to take home and 3 grenades please", and the only question was "would that be Chinese or American grenades sir" - Chinese grenades are cheaper!). Also the only place where tourist services have a "rocket launch a cow" option, where you get to blow the crip out of a poor bovine (but apparantly they screw with the sites so you miss and they can use the same cow over and over again...welcome to Cambodia).

Costa Rica: Nothing. Worst food in the world. BUT, there are some Argentinian steak houses there, and OMG, if you think you have ever had steak, think again until you try Argentinian (Brazilian doesn't compare for some reason I know nothing about).

Japan again: Haven't tried the Japanese Kobi steaks as WAY to expensive, but here is the story. The cows are hand-massaged daily, and fed a daily diet of beer. They are the happiest cows in the world, and apparantly the Kobi beef is the best in the world. I'm saving up to try, will update in 2008 once I have enough money to try it.

More to come.......
12-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Korea: Rat! Very spiced and quite pricy, so sure the taste was all the spice and not the meat, but actually quite nice!

Vietnam: Dog! Bloody disgusting, greasy, slimy, oily, horrible. But sure if Korean rat restaurant did it would be a different result (you go to local markets and see severed dog heads lined up in a row, hmmm).

Malaysia/Singapore: Laksa! a bit of a speciality and can vary, just like fish and chips. Some locals talk about Laksa like heroin addicts talk about heroin. You need luck as a tourist to get a good "hit".

Hong Kong: "Morning Glory". No, not hubbies hard on, a fried lettuce/cabbage (actually don't know) mixed with garlic thing. Addictive! First thing I look for on the menu.

Canada (change of track!). Some place in Nova Scotia where a lot of the world's scallops come from. Restaurant was "scallop only", and never tasted scallops like it again.

Maine: What else...lobster in season. Got to be there.

Scotland(!). Kippers!!!!

Jeez I'm feeling hungry now......................

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Make a travel to Spain Gilbertee 25 11,073 18-02-2012 09:37 AM
Last Post: dann
  Travel Tips! Coastie 47 8,608 10-03-2010 10:19 PM
Last Post: joelietz