Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foot binding
09-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Foot binding

I have just finished an interesting book called Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I had not realised quite what an horrific process Chinese foot binding was and googled it to find out more. The ideal length for a foot was three inches and girls marriage prospects depended on the size of their feet.

I suppose the closest our culture came to it was the ever tightening corset to acheive the tiniest waist.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Foot binding
There's also squeezing into high heel shoes with pointed toes - that looks a bit crippling too.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
10-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Foot binding
survivorfan Wrote:There's also squeezing into high heel shoes with pointed toes - that looks a bit crippling too.

Not if you wear the right size. Generally, if the shoes fit properly, you shouldn't be squeezing all your toes into the pointed bit.

I saw a lasy on holiday wearing sandals who was a victim of wearing pointy shoes that were too small. All her toes were crunched up together and pretty much permanently deformed. A westernised, latter day version of Foot Binding if I ever saw one.
10-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Foot binding
Figaro Wrote:I saw a lasy on holiday wearing sandals who was a victim of wearing pointy shoes that were too small. All her toes were crunched up together and pretty much permanently deformed. A westernised, latter day version of Foot Binding if I ever saw one.

Is that the Scottish coming out on you, Fig? Oooh, I do remember the days of squeezing into shoes and then walking home in barefeet, carrying said shoes!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Foot binding
Bella Wrote:Is that the Scottish coming out on you, Fig?

Yeah, something like that.

It definitely wasn't a typo anyway. Definitely not.
11-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Foot binding
Have you clocked Victoria Beckhams feet ? For years she has squeezed her tootsies into high heeled shoes .... and she has massive bunions.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/ar...n_a_source

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user