Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Football Violence
21-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Football Violence

Over the weekend there were several reports of football violence. One goalie had something thrown at him, which hit his head and he went off clutching his head. Why? All because he applauded the home fans. Trouble at football matches seems to be on the increase again. :sad:

Here is a photo of one incident at the Burnley game (I think)....
[Image: football.jpg]
Now what really gets to me is not so much the moron pushing/punching the policeman (although that does **** me off as well) but all the grinning pillocks in the crowd. Why is it when you see a photo like this the majority of the crowd are grinning/laughing like cheshire cats? They think its fun and a 'laugh'. What does it say about the mentality of these people? I find it all very depressing. Is it just me?

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Football Violence
I find the yob culture of today in this country very distressing and it's something I do agonize over at times. I cannot for the life of me think of how those people in that picture can find anything like what is going on as funny.

What is it about our country that breeds this mentality in our culture? Football is a brilliant game, why can we not just appreciate the fun it is and build the morale for teams instead of pulling it down with all this senseless nonsense?

Trouble is the hooliganism is not just football related, it is spread all over society in many ways, affecting many different aspects of our lives, and I just wonder if it is even possible to change it now.

Edited to say: Looking back at that picture now, it obviously is showing a lack of respect for authority. Where did we start to lose that?

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
21-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Football Violence
No, not just you H...

I agree with Tiggs it does show a lack of respect for authority and this is something I can't understand either.

I also think that some of the players show this lack of respect, which is not a good example to show to the youngsters watching the game.
22-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Football Violence
We had one of our infamous Old Firm games up here yesterday (Celtic vs Rangers) - Rangers won 2-0 grrrrrrrrrr - and it predictably ended up a complete rabble by the end of it. One of the rangers players was hit by a lighter which was thrown by one of the Celtic fans. Definatley letting our side down. there's no need for that. At the end of the days, it's.a.game.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
22-02-2005, 04:27 AM
Football Violence
I used to live in the next street to Hampden Park (its so long ago now I can barely remember what the right name is). Violence, urinating in the garden were the norm. Theres something very tribal and territorial about starting a fight esp (I think) for a while between Rangers and Celtic. To me it was always more than a game, huge divisions and warfare between the gap. I have never liked this side of football or the money involved. Whatever happened to the game of kicking a ball eh?

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
Find all posts by this user
22-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Football Violence
As far as I can see the only way to halt violence in and around pitches is to have 'private games' - without fans watching. That'll teach em a lesson.

You see the picture above just proves a point. Probably most of those people would baulk at the idea of actually becoming physically involved in violence, they would probably be the sort who would say 'oh no I abhor violence of any sort!', and be up in arms at the mere thought that they were thugs. Yet the very fact that they are smiling, finding it amusing, watching with barely controlled glee - IMO makes them just as culpable, just as accepting and just as much to blame.
24-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Football Violence
I thought that the violnce over the weekend was as usual totally uncalled for!

I have gone to many footbal matches over the years, I was a regular at Cov City for 7 years, and it always amazed me how a group of "ok" lads can turn at the slightest thing and kick off.....

I remember when Cov played Villa (scum) in the FA Cup a good few years ago at Villa Park, we had a great day, a few beers before the match and it was a good game - well Cov won for a change!!!! After the game we went back to the mini bus, there were about 10 of us (I was the only girl) and as we drove past a Villa pub and we were bombarded with bottles and cans by the Villa fans - I was really scared to be honest, but then the Police Helicopter hovvered above and the traffic moved and we could get away, but for a few minutes I was really panicing........the only reason I can think that they started on us was one of the lads had a Cov top on!!

On the news last weekend they said that if the spectator that threw the coin or whatever at the goalie was identified he would be banned from his clubs ground....i think they should go a step further and ban ANYONE who is guilty of violence of any kind, at any match, from ALL grounds nationwide - Europe if necessary! I just dont see the point of football violence, I never have! I also feel that the people who do this cant be true fans, they are only interested in the "ruck"!

Typical YOB British Culture at its best :ranting:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
24-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Football Violence
The cops saying about the lad that threw the coin at the goalie at the weekend, if identified will be banned.
All they need to do is open there eyes and watch the BBC coverage.
You can actually see the lad throwing the coin. We saw it and then when they showed the rerun we were shouting at the tv screen "It's him, Its him"

[Image: 429.gif]
25-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Football Violence
Andrea Wrote:The cops saying about the lad that threw the coin at the goalie at the weekend, if identified will be banned.
All they need to do is open there eyes and watch the BBC coverage.
You can actually see the lad throwing the coin. We saw it and then when they showed the rerun we were shouting at the tv screen "It's him, Its him"

And we were Andrea!!!!!

I hope the thug gets banned from ALL games, there is nothing sporting about throwing missiles into the crowd OR on to the pitch at the players.....the brain dead no mark!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
25-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Football Violence
Queeenie Wrote:there is nothing sporting about throwing missiles into the crowd OR on to the pitch at the players.....the brain dead no mark!

I quite agree with this Queenie, but also have to add that unfortunately it's not always brain dead no marks who behave in this fashion. i work with a bloke of about 56 who is in a positon of high responsibility in the organisation and he was very proud of himself a few years back when he watched Man U Vs Liverpool and he chucked £1 coins at David Beckham - pillock! (not David of course!).

I think that once a certain type of "follower" is in with a crowd they become part of the mob mentality even though know full well it is not acceptable behaviour or something they would do in any other situation. Baffling!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Rape - Is it an act of violence? tigger 23 2,470 29-06-2005 12:43 PM
Last Post: Bella